Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, April 3 to Sunday, April 7, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in April 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- 52nd Annual WorldFest-Houston at The Memorial City Cinemark Theatre | Friday to Sunday – Let your inner film buff roam free with ten days of 200 screenings, award ceremonies, galas and more at the 52nd annual WorldFest-Houston, happening at The Memorial City Cinemark Theatre. Tickets and movie times vary.
- Astros Opening Day 2019 Block Party at Lucky’s Pub Downtown | Friday and Saturday | No Cover – Lucky’s Pub in EaDo hosts a 3-day Astros Opening Day Block Party with live music, DJs, prizes, a jumbotron, food trucks, drink specials and more. Times vary.
- Comedian Bobby Lee at Houston Improv | Friday to Sunday – Bust a gut then actor and stand-up comedian Bobby Lee performs live at Houston Improv. Best known for playing hilarious characters on the popular sketch show MADtv from 2001 to 2009, Lee has also been in movies like Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, Pineapple Express, and The Dictator. Tickets range from $22 to $32. Times vary.
Wednesday, April 3, 2019
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best Jazz musicians in Houston. 6:30pm.
- Tape Face in Concert at House of Blues – The New Zealand prop comic, busker, clown, and mime, Tape Face, performs a live show at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets range from $25 to $32.50. 6:30pm.
- Alec Benjamin in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch a live performance from the pop singer-songwriter, Alec Benjamin at White Oak Music Hall. Alexander 23 opens the show. Tickets start at $15. 7pm.
- Death Cab for Cutie in Concert at Revention Music Center – Originally a solo project by the producer and singer-songwriter Ben Gibbard, Death Cab for Cutie is an alternative rock band that has been writing records since 1997. The band plays the Revention Music Center in support of their newest album, Thank You for Today. Tickets start at $35. 8pm.
- Exit Through the Gift Shop Movie Screening at Market Square Houston | FREE – Head to Market Square Park in Downtown for a free outdoor screening of Banksy’s Exit Through The Gift Shop. 8pm to 10pm.
Thursday, April 4, 2019
- Happy Hour Thursday at MFAH | No Cover – Browse the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and enjoy a cash bar, local DJ, and grub from a local food truck. 5pm to 8pm.
- First Thursday at Mid Main Houston – Mid Main Houston hosts their First Thursday series with live music from Cristina Amaro, DJ Gracie Chavez, DJ Act Badd, and Los Skarnales, along with drinks, food trucks and more. This event will benefit MECA Houston. $5 suggested donation. 6pm.
- The Sade Experience at Henke & Pillot – Henke & Pillot in Downtown hosts a Sade-themed night with a tribute band, DJ Xplicit spinning all of her hit songs, art, and cash prizes. Cover charge at the door. 6pm to 9pm.
- Wood Sign Painting Party at Spindletap Brewery – Join HeartWorks and Spindletap brewery for a DIY night and paint your own wood sign while sipping on a beer. Tickets are $35. 6:30pm.
- Bingo Night at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Try your luck for a chance to win prizes at Under the Radar Brewery’s Bingo Night in their beer garden. Free to play. 7pm.
- Tesla in Concert at House of Blues – The rock band formed in Sacramento, California in the ’80s, Tesla, performs a live show at House of Blues. Tickets range from $45.50 to $85. 7pm.
- The Winery Comedy Tour at Sable Gate Winery in Midtown – Nationally recognized comedians travel the country tasting local wine and making new fans in this new comedy circuit that brings quality comedy to folks in a new type of venue, with a vino twist. Enjoy wine and laughs at Sable Gate Winery in Midtown. Tickets are $20, but limited discounted $10 tickets are available. 7:30pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited, discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Work It: Y2k Dance Party at Etro Lounge – Etro Lounge in Downtown hosts a weekly dance night featuring early-mid 2000s favorites, one hit wonders, and club classics. Admission Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
Friday, April 5, 2019
- Throttle at Spire Houston – The 22-year old Australian producer and DJ, Throttle, performs a live set at Spire nightclub in Downtown. Tickets are $10. 3pm.
- Viva Frida! 14th Annual Group Show at The Hardy & Nance Studios | No Cover – Celebrate the legendary Mexican artist, Frida Kahlo with original Frida-themed work made by local artists at the opening reception of the 14th Annual Viva Frida! art show at The Hardy & Nance Studios. 6pm to 9pm.
- Citizen Cope in Concert at House of Blues – Sing along to songs like “Let the Drummer Kick,” “Bullet and a Target,” and “Son’s Gonna Rise” at a live show by songwriter, producer, and performer Citizen Cope at House of Blues. Tickets start at $30, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- New Orleans Hustlers Brass Band in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – Experience a little of Nola in Houston when the New Orleans Hustlers Brass Band performs a free outdoor show at Axelrad. 7pm to 10pm.
- Chris Cohen in Concert at Satellite Bar – Multi-instrumentalist, singer-songwriter, and producer best known for his solo albums and for having been a member of Deerhoof, Chris Cohen performs a live show at Satellite Bar. Local band Mantra Love opens the show. Tickets start at $10. 8pm.
- Latin Night Tribute To Selena at Neon Boots Dancehall & Saloon – Dance to “La Carcacha” when the LGBTQ-friendly Neon Boots Dancehall & Saloon hosts a Selena tribute night with a live band performing her biggest hits. You can get VIP no line tickets online for $10. 9pm.
Saturday, April 6, 2019
- 5th Annual Heads N Tails Crawfish Fest at Grooves of Houston – One of Houston’s biggest crawfish festivals, the Heads N Tails Crawfish Fest, returns for the fifth year, happening at Grooves of Houston. There will be succulent boiled crawfish and other foods including boudin as well as live music by J Paul & The Zydeco Newbreeds, plus tunes spun by some of Texas’ and Louisiana’s hottest DJs. Limited complimentary tickets are available with an RSVP. $10 passes with expedited entry are available. 1pm to 9pm.
- April Pools Day: 2nd Anniversary Party at Birds Barbershop in The Heights | FREE – Birds Barbershop in the Heights celebrates its two-year anniversary with a pool-themed party that will spill out into the parking lot. Highlights include an oversized foam pool complete with a drag queen lifeguard, a synchronized swimming demo, and Zinka face painting booth. 2pm to 5pm.
- Expecto Bar Crawl in Downtown – Wizards and Witches grab your robes and wands for the Expecto Bar Crawl in Downtown. Check-in will be from 3pm to 4pm at Dean’s Downtown. Early bird tickets start at $26. 3pm to 9pm.
- Brenner’s Wine Fest at Brenner’s on the Bayou – Hit the picturesque lodge and lawn along the bayou for a day of live music, local bites, and wines from award-winning vineyards. Sip and savor as you enjoy eats from Landry’s spots like Brenner’s on the Bayou, Brenner’s Steakhouse and Grotto Downtown (VIP), Vic and Anthony’s, Willie G’s and more. Tickets are $89 pre-sale; $99 day of; VIP tickets also available. 4pm to 7pm.
- ROCO Unchambered: Chase Sequence at MATCH – ROCO’s Unchambered series closes MATCH with the ROCO Brass Quintet performing Chase Sequence, James Stephenson’s work where the players imitate one another musically, each one trying to “catch up” with the other. Tickets are $25; $15 for students with valid I.D. 5pm.
- Children of Bodom in Concert at Warehouse Live – The Finnish extreme metal band, Children of Bodom, perform a live show at Warehouse Live. Swallow the Sun and Wolfheart open the show. Tickets start at $27.50. 6pm to 9:30pm.
- Stick Figure in Concert at House of Blues – The reggae and dub band from Northern California, Stick Figure performs a live show at House of Blues. Tickets are $26. 7pm.
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in Concert at The Heights Theater – Hear songs like “Go Daddy-O” when the contemporary swing revival band, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy performs live at The Heights Theater. Tickets are $24. 7pm.
Sunday, April 7, 2019
- Robbie Rivera at Clé Houston – The house and dance music DJ and producer, Robbie Rivera, spins at the Clé Houston lounge in Midtown. Tickets are $15. 2pm to 5pm.
- Pilates, Pints & Pups at Harvest Green – Head to the Harvest Green Farmhouse for pilates and fun with furry friends. Registration includes a 60-minute class followed by social time with local shelter pups and craft beer. The event is $15, which includes the class and the pint glass. Free for residents of Harvest Green. 3pm to 5pm.
- Sunday Funday Sessions at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts their Sunday Sessions with sounds by DJ SMNS and an all-day happy hour that features $4 Frozé’s (frozen rosé). 5pm.
- Jenny Lewis in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The singer-songwriter, Jenny Lewis takes the stage at White Oak Music Hall for her “On the Line” Tour. Watson Twins open the show. Tickets start at $25. 8pm.
- Sunday Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – Sing till your heart’s content when the LGBTQ-friendly bar and venue, Guava Lamp hosts their Sunday Karaoke night. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).