Make the most of your week with our top 10 things to do with kids in Houston from Monday, January 21 to Sunday, January 27, 2019.
Start off your week with the kids in your life with a celebration of MLK Jr., take them for a memorable haircut, let them explore the arts, hit the ice and more with the best in children’s entertainment in Houston for the week ahead.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
Top 10 Things to Do with Kids This Week in Houston
- Earlybird Special at Birds Barbershop | Monday, January 21 to Sunday, January 27 – Treat the kids to a memorable haircut experience and a discount on midday cuts. Make it an extra special outing with a sweet treat next door from Steel City Pops. Save $5 on any kid cut for ages 10 and under with code word “Earlybird” plus a free add-on at Steel City pops. 10am.
- 41st Annual Original MLK Day Parade & Celebration at Hermann Square | Monday, January 21 | FREE – Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as The Black Heritage Society Organization presents the 41st Original MLK Day Parade in Downtown. The event was originally scheduled to take place by Minute Maid Park, but was relocated to Hermann Square by City Hall. 10am.
- MLK Day at Children’s Museum of Houston | Monday, January 21 – Spend a day listening to and celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at The Children’s Museum. Kids can hear his poignant speech as they explore more about his vision for the future through various activities. Tickets are $5 for general admission. Noon to close.
- Sing! Sing! Sing! at Evelyn’s Park | Monday, January 21 – Let your live singing dreams come true with a no audition, always fun, popup singing group. The audience becomes the choir as they learn a 2- to 3-part harmony arrangement and then put on a public show. Tickets are $5; free for visitors under age 16 and over 80. Come early for dinner at Betsy’s at 6pm or just the event from 7pm to 9pm.
- Screen on the Green: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Movie Screening at Discovery Green | Thursday, January 24 – Set up a seat at the final Winter showing of Screen on the Green with the dinosaur-centric, action movie, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom starring Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard. You can bring chairs and a blanket and find a spot on the hill, or lace up and skate while you listen to the flick. Rated PG-13. The movie is free, but additional fees apply if you skate. 7pm.
- Twilight Safari: The Bear Necessities at The Houston Zoo | Friday, January 25 – Take a walk on the wild side as you and your youngin’ explore the Zoo in the evening. Children will be delighted to find out which animals are off to bed and which ones are just waking up. One adult per two children is required. $25 per adult and per child. Recommended for children ages 4 to 6. 6:30pm to 8pm.
- Family Movie Night: The Greatest Showman Movie Screening at Levy Park | Friday, January 25 | FREE – Huge Jackman, Zendaya, and Zac Efron bring the Kid’s Choice Award Winning, The Greatest Showman, to life on a big screen at Levy Park. Bring blankets, your singing voice, and dancing shoes for this event. Feel free to use their park chairs, but no outside furniture is permitted. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- Open Lab Fridays at Funtastik Labs | Friday, January 25 – Let your child live out their dreams of being a scientist, artist, or engineer with open play time and exciting experiments. They can play alone or with a friend, parental supervision required. Several activities will be available for them to get messy, get creative, and have a blast. Recommended for ages 4 and up. $15 for one hour; $28 until close. 4pm to 8pm.
- Galveston Museum Day 2019 | Saturday, January 26 – Explore the rich history of Galveston Island with free and discounted admission to a dozen museums and attractions at Galveston Museum Day. For one day only, a dozen Galveston-area museums and attractions open their doors with offers of free admission and friendly discounts so that visitors can snag a glimpse into Galveston’s storied past. All day.
- Skate with Rey and Kylo Ren on The ICE at Discovery Green | Saturday, January 26 – Glide around the ice during its final weekend. Feel the force in person when you get to meet Star Wars characters, Rey and Kylo Ren. General admission is $11; $4 skate rental. 5pm to 6pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).