Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 23 to Sunday, January 27, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comedian Drew Lynch at Houston Improv | Thursday to Saturday – Catch the clean, upbeat comedy of former America’s Got Talent finalist, Drew Lynch when he brings his cackle-inducing hilarity and positive musings about everyday life to H-Town for five shows. 20 to $30, but you can score 2-for-1 tickets for the Thursday performance only with promocode DREW365. Showtimes vary.
- 8th Wonder Pizza Pairing at Your Pie | Thursday to Saturday – Treat yourself with a tasty, ten-inch pizza taster – with each slice paired to a different, delicious 8th Wonder beer – at Your Pie’s special 8th Wonder Pizza Pairing. Each ten-inch pizza will contain a slice each from four different pizzas. A flight of four, 4-oz beer tasters will be paired with the pizza, all for just $20. Times vary per day.
Wednesday, January 23, 2019
- Pasta & Wine Night at Night Heron | No Cover – Agricole Hospitality and Coltivare host a Pasta & Wine night at Night Heron featuring Coltivare’s spaghetti with black pepper. Menu items prices vary. 5pm.
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best jazz musicians in Houston. 6:30pm.
- Pop Evil in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a set from the Michigan rock band, Pop Evil with openers Don Jamieson and Them Evils at House of Blues. Tickets are $20. 6:30pm.
- Toro Y Moi in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Led by Chaz Bundick, this group hits hard on chillwave aesthetics with a little pop and psychedelic rock. Ahead of their upcoming 2019 release, Outer Peace, fans can get an early start on some of their forthcoming tunes. Opening band Wet is set to start the show. Tickets are $27.50. 7pm.
- Cards Against Humanity Tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston | No Cover – Comedian, Roxxy Haze hosts a night of fun and laughs with a Cards Against Humanity tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston every Wednesday. 7:30pm.
- The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Test your knowledge of the hilarious Netflix TV show, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, for prizes at Under the Radar Brewery. 7:30pm to 10pm.
- Oliver Penn in Concert at Under the Volcano – Blues and country singer-songwriter, Oliver Penn, performs at Under the Volcano. Cover charge at the door. 8pm.
Thursday, January 24, 2019
- Happy Hour Thursday at MFAH | No Cover – Browse the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and enjoy a cash bar, local DJ, and grub from a local food truck. 5pm to 8pm.
- Parker Gispert In-Store Performance at Cactus Music | No Cover – The former member of the Georgia-based band, The Whigs, Parker Gispert, takes the stage at Cactus Music for a free in-store performance. There will also be complimentary beverages from Saint Arnold. 5pm to 6pm.
- Pride 2019 Theme & Logo Unveiling at Guava Lamp | No Cover – Join Pride Houston, Inc at Guava Lamp for an evening of live entertainment, delicious bites, and the unveiling of the 2019 Houston LGBTQIA+ Pride Celebration Theme & Logo. 7pm to 10pm.
- Los Lonely Boys in Concert at Revention Music Center – Los Lonely Boys are an American Chicano rock power trio from San Angelo, Texas, who play a style of music they call “Texican Rock n’ Roll.” Their music combines elements of rock and roll, Texas blues, brown-eyed soul, country, and Tejano. Tickets are $35, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. 7:30pm.
- Femme Fatale at The Flat | No Cover – The local all-female DJ collective, Femme Fatale, spins at The Flat on Thursday evenings. 10pm.
- Whipped Cream in Concert at Stereo Live – The LA-based EDM DJ and musician Whipped Cream performs at the Stereo Live nightclub. Tickets are $5. 10pm.
Friday, January 25, 2019
- Tom Segura at Revention Music Center – Stand-up comedian, actor, and podcaster Tom Segura takes the stage at Revention Music Center for his Take It Down Tour. Tickets start at $31. There will be a performance at 6pm and 9:30pm.
- Ruston Kelly in Concert at House of Blues – Country rocker, Ruston Kelly, comes to the House of Blues with opener Savannah Conley. Tickets are $15. 7pm.
- ’90s Night at Howl at the Moon – Dust off your “Macarena” dance moves and party like it’s 1999 at Howl at the Moon’s ’90s Night. There will be prizes, drink specials, and all the ’90s music you can dance to. 7pm.
- Harry Potter Trivia Cup at Caffé Di Firenze | No Cover – Caffé Di Firenze in Downtown Houston hosts a monthly Harry Potter Trivia Cup on the last Friday of each month. Join fellow Potter heads to determine who’s a Hermione Granger and who’s a Seamus Finnigan. 7pm.
- Opening Reception of Contemporary Focus: Trenton Doyle Hancock at The Menil Collection | No Cover – The Menil Collection presents the opening reception of the Contemporary Focus: Trenton Doyle Hancock exhibition. 7pm to 9pm.
- Why Fight It?: An Art Tribute to Vices at Insomnia Gallery | No Cover – Insomnia Gallery presents their Why Fight It? an art exhibition featuring over 30 local artists making work about their vices. 7pm to 10pm.
- The Devil Makes Three in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Americana trio, The Devil Makes Three comes to White Oak Music Hall in support of their latest record, Chains are Broken. Lost Dog Street Band opens the show. Tickets are $22.50. 8pm.
- Flashback Fridays at Henke & Pillot in Downtown | No Cover – Head to Henke & Pillot for a laid-back dance night each Friday as the dynamic duo, DJ Stashwell & DJ FlipHop, provide all the hits from the past and present. 10pm.
Saturday, January 26, 2019
- Griff’s 8th Annual Crawfish & Shrimp Boil at Griff’s Irish Pub in Montrose | No Cover – Enjoy freshly boiled crawfish and shrimp, live music by Zydeco Creoles and Minor League, beer and drink specials, and more at Griff’s first crawfish boil of the 2019 season. Noon to 8pm.
- Australia Day 2019 at Platypus Brewing | No Cover – Platypus Brewing celebrates Australia Day 2019 with a special beer release, meat pies, and family-friendly activities. Noon to 11pm.
- Blackberry Smoke in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Southern rock and country band, Blackberry Smoke performs a live show at White Oak Music Hall. Chris Shiflett opens the show. Tickets are $29.50. 7:30pm.
- Neon Garden at Axelrad | No Cover – Axelrad hosts Neon Garden, an event filled with art installations, video game stations, and live music. 7:30pm.
- A$AP Rocky in Concert at NRG Park – See the rapper, songwriter, and record producer A$AP Rocky for his “Injured Generation Tour” at NRG Park. Tickets start at $39. 8pm.
- Bombón presents: WEPA at Henke & Pillot – Bombón presents the Latin dance night, WEPA, with guest DJs Act Badd, All Day Ray, and Arif.Omari at Henke & Pillot in Downtown. Free with RSVP. 9pm.
- Disco Saturday Night at Numbers Nightclub – Dance to everything from the Bee Gees to Donna Summer at Numbers Nightclub’s Disco dance night. $10 cover charge at the door. 9pm.
Sunday, January 27, 2019
- One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold Brewing Company – Whether you think you can use Saint Arnold beer and your secret ingredients to make a dish better than anybody else’s or you just want to taste the dishes of people who think they can, this 12th annual culinary showdown is one event you won’t want to miss. The One Pot Showdown combines a traditional chili, gumbo, and stew cookoff with ten parts Saint Arnold goodness. Tickets are $40. 1pm to 4pm.
- Recovery Sundays in the Garden at Wicklow Heights | No Cover – Wind down from the weekend with drink specials, music from a live DJ, and rotating food trucks when Wicklow Heights hosts Recovery Sundays on its backyard patio. 2pm.
- Sunday Funday Sessions at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts their Sunday Sessions with sounds by DJ SMNS and an all-day happy hour that features $4 Frozé’s (frozen rosé). 5pm.
- Sunday Theatre Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – The LGBTQ-friendly nightclub, Guava Lamp hosts their theater-themed karaoke night every Sunday. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).