Make the most of your week with our top 15 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, January 14 to Sunday, January 20, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
Watch high school marching bands battle it out for first place, taste and learn all about sparkling wines at an elegant pairing, crack up at a comedy show from Demetri Martin, marvel at the glamor of burlesque and circus acts, cheer on participants of the Chevron Houston Marathon and more.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- The Book of Mormon at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Tuesday, January 15 to Sunday, January 20 – Don’t miss your chance to see the nine-time Tony Award-winning musical, The Book of Mormon when the touring cast performs a six-day stretch of the hilarious show at Houston’s Hobby Center. Tickets start at $80, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Tasting Series: Sparkling Wines at Third Coast Restaurant | Tuesday, January 15 – Learn all about sparkling wines from award-winning sommelier David Cook, who will lead a discussion and tasting at Third Coast Restaurant. $55. 6pm to 7:30pm.
- The Carpenter at the Alley Theatre | Starts Friday, January 18 – Watch a Texas-centric stage play at the world premiere of The Carpenter in Alley Theatre. The play explores what happens when a self-made Houston guy meets the family of his well-to-do fiancé from Highland Park. Tickets start at $26. Showtimes vary.
- Boyz II Men & The Houston Symphony in Concert at Jones Hall | Friday, January 18 – Hear a mesmerizing performance by the four-time Grammy-winning R&B trio, Boyz II Men, when they team up with the Houston Symphony for a special show at Jones Hall. Chelsea Tipton II will conduct the concert. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Hannah Kirby’s Acoustic Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck | Friday, January 18 – Jam out to a concert by award-winning Texas songwriter and finalist on NBC’s The Voice Hannah Kirby, who joins guitarist Brad Thompson for an intimate, acoustic blues rock performance at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. $20. 9:30pm.
- 10th Annual Yaga’s Chili Quest & Beer Fest | Friday, January 18 and Saturday, January 19 – Roll up your sleeves and come hungry to the tenth annual, 2-day Chili Quest & Beer Fest in Galveston. Start the party at Yaga’s Cafe on Friday, then make your way to several tasty events along the Historic Strand on Saturday. Expect chili samples, beer tastings, live music, a washers tournament, a 5K fun run, a margarita contest, and shopping. Tickets start at $12. Times vary.
- Bubbles, Bibs, & Brunch Bash at Pico’s | Saturday, January 19 – Join Dress for Success Houston for a delicious brunch featuring bites from the city’s hottest eateries at Pico’s Restaurant in Upper Kirby following the We Are Houston 5K. Participating restaurants include Poitin, Hungry’s, Alice Blue, River Oaks Donuts and more. Tickets start at $40. 9:30am to 12:30pm.
- 11th Anniversary and New Cocktail Release Party at Reserve 101 | Saturday, January 19 | No Cover – Celebrate the eleventh anniversary of Downtown’s resident whiskey bar with all-day happy hour pricing and the release of a new cocktail menu at Reserve 101. For just $6, you can sip all-new drinks like the Sink or Swim, a blend of Woodford Reserve bourbon, dry curacao, lemon juice, and crème de muire; or the One by One, made with Old Forester bourbon, crème de apricot, crème de cacao, acid phosphate, and bitters. 2pm to 2am.
- Bayou City Burlesque Circus Festival at Warehouse Live | Saturday, January 19 – Marvel at high-flying acrobats, death-defying sideshows, extraordinary burlesque, fantastical jugglers, and other glamorous acts at the world-renowned Bayou City Burlesque Circus Festival. Tickets start at $25. 7:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 19 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Lakers at Toyota Center. Ticket prices are TBA, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm.
- Demetri Martin at House of Blues | Saturday, January 19 – Burst out laughing during a stand-up show by award-winning comedian Demetri Martin at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $39.75, but you may find better or cheaper seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Amen Dunes in Concert at Rockefellers | Saturday, January 19 – Listen to the dynamic soundscapes and intimate lyrics of Amen Dunes as he takes the stage at Rockefellers following his 2018 release, Freedom. Tickets start at $15. 9pm.
- Chevron Houston Marathon | Sunday, January 20 – Volunteer, show your support, or join the runners as they compete in the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon, which winds throughout the city, beginning and ending in Downtown. You must register for this event. 6:45am.
- Family Fun Day at The MATCH | Sunday, January 20 | FREE – Bring the kiddos to an afternoon of family-friendly fun in celebration of The Midtown Arts & Theater Center Houston’s (MATCH) fourth year in operation. You can enjoy character visits, balloon animals, a bounce house, kid-friendly concerts, and performances from Main Street Theater and Open Dance Project. 1pm to 4pm.
- MLK Battle of the Bands Competition at W.W. Thorne Stadium | Sunday, January 20 | FREE – Pick your favorite of more than 20 nationally acclaimed marching bands from high schools across the country in the 18th Annual MLK Battle of the Bands at W.W. Thorne Stadium. 4pm to 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).