Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 16 to Sunday, January 20, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best jazz musicians in Houston. 6:30pm.
- Break the Ice Date Night at The Ice at Discovery Green – Bring your date for a romantic night skating under the skyline of Downtown at The Ice at Discovery Green park. There will be hot chocolate and other treats available at the Snack-N-Skate Shop. Tickets are $11; $4 skate rental. 7pm to 9pm.
- Cards Against Humanity Tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston | No Cover – Comedian, Roxxy Haze hosts a night of fun and laughs with a Cards Against Humanity tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston every Wednesday. 7:30pm.
- Breaking Bad Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Head on down to Under the Radar Brewery for a night 99.1% pure Breaking Bad Trivia. There will be prizes for the winning trivia team, the best team name, and best Breaking Bad-inspired costume. 7:30pm.
- Austin Kinney & Friends in Concert at Mongoose Versus Cobra | No Cover – The San Marcos jazz collective, Austin Kinney & Friends performs with a special guest on the keys, Rex Simmons at Mongoose Versus Cobra. 9pm.
Thursday, January 17, 2019
- Happy Hour Thursday at MFAH | No Cover – Browse the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and enjoy a cash bar, local DJ, and grub from a local food truck. 5pm to 8pm.
- Cultured Cocktails benefiting Artists for Artists at Bar Boheme | No Cover – Fresh Arts host their Cultured Cocktails happy hour at Bar Boheme where proceeds go to Artists for Artists, a nonprofit organization that provides Emergency Recovery Grants to assist artists in need. Menu prices vary. 5pm to 8pm.
- Steak and Bingo Night at Little Woodrow’s in The Heights – Join Little Woodrow’s in The Heights for a few rounds of bingo, drink specials and a steak provided by Southern Standard. $18 for the steak dinner and bingo. 6pm.
- The Houston Legends Experience at Biggio’s – Snag tickets to The Houston Legends Experience and taste Karbach’s limited edition Imperial Porter with Horchata, a unique brew created with a bourbon barrel that was used during a previous partnership between Biggio’s Sports Bar and Yellow Rose Distilling. $125. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- The Accidentals in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Experience a high energy live show from the folk-rock band, The Accidentals at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20 in advance; $22 at the door. 7pm.
- DJ Gracie Chavez at Alley Kat Bar & Lounge | No Cover – Best known locally for hosting Latin dance nights, DJ Gracie Chavez spins at the Alley Kat Bar & Lounge in Midtown. 8pm.
Friday, January 18, 2019
- Bowie: Art Market & Movie Nights at Karbach Brewing Co | No Cover – Celebrate David Bowie with a free screening of his 1986 film, Labyrinth, accompanied by a themed art market at Karbach Brewing Co. 5pm to 10pm.
- Onesie Bar Crawl on Washington Ave – Get cozy in your favorite pajamas and make your way through several bars along Washington Avenue at this onesie-themed bar crawl. Bars will offer drink specials throughout the event and include Kung Fu Saloon, Clutch Bar Houston, Concrete Cowboy and more. Tickets are $10 in advance; $25 at the door, plus fees. 6pm.
- Opening Reception of Cheryl Donegan: Grlz + Veils at CAMH | No Cover – The Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston hosts the opening reception for Cheryl Donegan: Grlz + Veils, an exhibition that features a highly curated selection of Donegan’s work including paintings, videos, unstretched hanging printed fabrics, and a new collection of clothing by the artist. 6:30pm.
- The Glasstire Party: San Antonio Comes to Houston at The Space HTX | No Cover – Glasstire, a Texas-based nonprofit art magazine, hosts a party featuring an art auction, food, drinks, and musical performances at The Space HTX. 7pm to 11pm.
- Joe Ely in Concert at The Heights Theater – Catch a set from country rock singer-songwriter, Joe Ely with support from Sara Van Buskirk at The Heights Theater. Tickets are $22. 7pm.
- Comedy Hub Houston presents Comic Daniel Simonsen & More at the Rec Room – The first edition of the new, monthly JK Fridays comedy show features a lineup of comedians headlined by visiting comedian Daniel Simonsen. Simonsen also co-headlines a separate show on Saturday night. $20. 8pm to 10pm.
- Bad Idea: Two Year Anniversary Show at The Secret Group | No Cover – Bad Idea, a monthly comedy show hosted by stand up Zahid Dewji, presents their Two Year Anniversary Show featuring comics from all over the country and complimentary pizza. 8pm.
- Hannah Kirby’s Acoustic Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Hannah Kirby, an award-winning Texas songwriter and finalist on NBC’s The Voice, joins guitarist Brad Thompson (2018 Fort Worth Star-Telegram musician of the year) to give Houstonians an intimate, acoustic blues-rock performance. Tickets are $20. 9:30pm.
Saturday, January 19, 2019
- 10″ x 10″ Art Show at The Hardy & Nance Studios | No Cover – The Hardy & Nance Studios present their 10″ x 10″ Art Show featuring artwork in 2D and 3D media for less than $125 each. 5pm to 9pm.
- Pacquiao vs. Broner Watch Party at La Cantina, by La Calle – Root for your pick in one of the season’s biggest boxing matches when Manny Pacquiao returns to the U.S. after two years to take on Adrien Broner. La Cantina is offering reserved seating for an additional fee and plenty of drink specials throughout the night. Tickets start at $10. 6pm.
- Bayou City Burlesque Circus Festival at Warehouse Live – Marvel at high-flying acrobats, death-defying sideshows, extraordinary burlesque, fantastical jugglers, and other glamorous acts at the world-renowned Bayou City Burlesque Circus Festival. Tickets start at $25. 7pm to 11pm.
- Eric Tessmer in Concert at Rockefellers Houston – The Austin-based singer-songwriter Eric Tessmer headlines at Rockefellers with special guests Western Youth and Dave Scher. 7pm to 11pm.
- H-Town Double Down Comedy Show with Comedians Daniel Simonsen & Bob Biggerstaff – Catch a double header featuring comics Daniel Simonsen and Bob Biggerstaff at the Rec Room in Downtown, with three local comics opening. $20pm. 8pm to 10pm.
- Comic Demetri Martin at House of Blues – Burst out laughing during a stand-up show by award-winning comedian Demetri Martin at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $39.75. 8pm.
- Los Tucanes De Tijuana in Concert at Arena Theatre – Dance along to music by the popular Mexican norteño band, Los Tucanes De Tijuana, when they bring their beats to Houston’s Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $65, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8:30pm.
- Amen Dunes in Concert at Rockefellers – Following his 2018 release, Freedom, Amen Dunes has found a gathering that grooves with his dynamic soundscape and personal lyrics. See him live at Rockefellers. Tickets start at $15. 9pm.
- Justin Jay in Concert at Spire Houston – Watch a set from the hip-hop artist, Justin Jay at the Spire Houston nightclub in Downtown. Tickets are $10. 9pm.
Sunday, January 20, 2019
- Recovery Sundays in the Garden at Wicklow Heights | No Cover – Wind down from the weekend with drink specials, music from a live DJ, and rotating food trucks when Wicklow Heights hosts Recovery Sundays on its backyard patio. 2pm.
- Sunday Funday Sessions at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts their Sunday Sessions with sounds by DJ SMNS and an all-day happy hour that features $4 Frozé’s (frozen rosé). 5pm.
- Snow Bunnies with DJ Grind at Rich’s Houston – Bunnies on the Bayou presents Snow Bunnies, a night with music from DJ Grind and drinks at the LGBTQ-friendly nightclub, Rich’s Houston. General admission is $15. 5pm.
- Wild Moccasins, with DEGA in Concert at Satellite Bar – Houston’s own Wild Moccasins play a live show at Satellite Bar in the East End. DEGA opens the show. Tickets start at $10. 7pm.
- Boss Life Awards & Ball 2019 at The Post Oak Hotel – Rub elbows with some of Houston’s most distinguished business women and men at the sixth annual Boss Life Awards and Ball in The Post Oak Hotel. Benefitting scholarship programs for high school graduates, the event will offer light bites and a cash bar. Tickets are $150. 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).