Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, January 7 to Sunday, January 13, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
Dance the night away at an ’80s-themed concert by the Houston Symphony, crack up at superstar comedian Kevin Hart’s live stand-up show, wear an extravagant hat to a fundraising luncheon, run three miles then feast on tasty tacos, show your pride at Rainbow on ICE and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Rockets vs. Denver Nuggets at Toyota Center | Monday, January 7 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Nuggets at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $15 to over $500, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Milwaukee Bucks at Toyota Center | Wednesday, January 9 – Show your support for the home team as the Rockets take on the Bucks in Downtown at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $16 to over $500, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork resale market. 7pm.
- The Master Piece Fashion Show at Silver Street Studios | Thursday, January 10 – Scope out a selection of unique stylings as talented artists team up with local designers for The Master Piece Fashion Show at Silver Street Studios. Benefiting the Arthritis Foundation and hosted by The Social Graces Club, this special event aims to break the barriers of what you’d expect of a typical fashion show. $44.27. 6pm to 9pm.
- Beer & Brass at Saint Arnold Brewing Company | Thursday, January 10 – Celebrate the start of the new year with craft beers and tasty bites, accompanied by traditional beer hall music from the ROCO Brass Quintet at Saint Arnold Brewing Company. Tickets are $35 for adults; $10 for kids 12 and under. Taps open at 6pm; music begins at 6:30pm.
- Rainbow on ICE at Discovery Green | Friday, January 11 | FREE – Head to Discovery Green for Rainbow on Ice, an annual LGBTQ celebration, which this year features Drag Houston’s live staged production of Ariana Grande’s “Thank U, Next.” Throughout the evening, you can enjoy music by DJ Joe Ross and costumes made with recycled items by Yahiara Dehill. 7pm to 10pm.
- Houston Symphony presents Totally ‘80s at Jones Hall | Friday, January 11 to Sunday, January 12 – Travel back to the time of teased hair, stirrup pants, and shoulder pads during Totally ‘80s, a musical showcase featuring Mad TV’s Nicole Parker and Broadway’s Aaron Finley. You can sing along to chart-toppers by Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, George Michael, and Billy Joel throughout the show. Tickets start at $29, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. Friday and Saturday 8pm; Sunday 7:30pm.
- New Year Houston TACO Run at Memorial Park | Saturday, January 12 – Balance is key at The New Year Houston Taco Run in Memorial Park, where you can run, jog, or walk a 3-mile loop, then feast on some of Houston’s tastiest tacos. $35. 8am to 10am.
- The Sale at Bayou City Event Center | Saturday, January 12 and Sunday, January 13 – Sip champagne while shopping discounted jewelry, décor, and clothing at Houston Tri Delta Alumnae’s weekend event, The Sale at Bayou City Event Center. Come back for Sunday Fun Day, where you can hear from a panel of influencers, including Caroline Harper Knapp of House of Harper, Switch2Pure’s Estela Cockrell, and Marla Murphy of The Blonde Pantry. Saturday preview tickets are $150; Saturday general admission is $25 in advance and $30 at the door; Sunday tickets are $20 in advance and $30 at the door; Weekend Shopper tickets are $30. Times vary.
- The Mad Hatter’s Luncheon at Fleming’s Steakhouse | Saturday, January 12 – Don your biggest, fanciest, or most creative hat for The Mad Hatter’s Luncheon at Fleming’s Steakhouse. Presented by Nicole’s Garden, the luncheon honors some of the city’s top change-makers, whose impact has positively affected the lives of fellow Houstonians. Tickets start at $100. 11am.
- 2019 Hops n’ Hot Sauce Festival at SpindleTap Brewery | Saturday, January 12 – Heat up your Saturday with spicy bites, food trucks, craft beers, live jams, and a Hot Pepper Eating Contest at the Hops n’ Hot Sauce Festival at SpindleTap Brewery. Tickets are $10 at the door; free for kids under 12. 11am to 6pm.
- Calpurnia in Concert at House of Blues | Saturday, January 12 – Check out an indie rock show by Calpurnia, a newly formed band led by Stranger Things actor Finn Wolfhard, at House of Blues. Tickets starting at $25, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 7pm.
- Kevin Hart at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 12 – Laugh your head off when comedy superstar Kevin Hart heads to Houston’s Toyota Center on the “Irresponsible Tour”. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may find better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).