Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 9 to Sunday, January 13, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Stacyfest: A Benefit for Punk Rock Stacy at Rudyard’s British Pub | Friday to Sunday – Montrose mainstay Rudyard’s is putting on a three-day musical blowout to raise funds to help its general manager Stacy Hartoon (better known as Punk Rock Stacy) battle brain cancer. The event will showcase 15 bands over three days. Pay what you can at the door, with a suggested donation of $10 per day of attendance. Click here to learn more about Hartoon and her diagnosis. Times vary by day.
- Comedian Gilbert Gottfried at Houston Improv | Friday to Sunday – Crack up to the shrill and sometimes spicy comedy of “The Comic’s Comic”, who may be most recognizable to ’90s kids as the voice of the Iago the parrot in Disney’s Aladdin, when he performs five (non-family friendly) standup sets at the Improv. Tickets start at $22. Times vary.
Wednesday, January 9, 2019
- The Amity Affliction in Concert at House of Blues – The Australian metalcore band, The Amity Affliction come to Houston with support from Senses Fail for their “Misery Will Find You Tour” at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $25. 6pm.
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best jazz musicians in Houston. 6:30pm.
- Break the Ice Date Night at The Ice at Discovery Green – Bring your date for a romantic night skating under the skyline of Downtown at The Ice at Discovery Green park. There will be hot chocolate and other treats available at the Snack-N-Skate Shop. Tickets are $11; $4 skate rental. 7pm to 9pm.
- Trey Galyon at The Secret Group – Have a good laugh when the Austin-based comedian, Trey Galyon, takes the stage with opener Dale Cheesman at The Secret Group. Tickets start at $7. 7pm.
- Cards Against Humanity Tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston | No Cover – Comedian, Roxxy Haze hosts a night of fun and laughs with a Cards Against Humanity tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston every Wednesday. 7:30pm.
Thursday, January 10, 2019
- Happy Hour Thursday at MFAH | No Cover – Browse the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and enjoy a cash bar, local DJ, and grub from a local food truck. 5pm to 8pm.
- Beer & Brass at Saint Arnold Brewing Company – Enjoy an evening of Beer & Brass with the ROCO Brass Quintet at Saint Arnold Brewing Company. Guests can ring in the new year with craft beers and yummy bites alongside traditional beer hall music, it’s an event you won’t want to miss. Tickets are $35 for adults; $10 for kids 12 and under. 6pm.
- The Master Piece: Fashion Experience at Silver Street – The Social Graces hosts a unique fashion show benefitting the Arthritis Foundation at Silver Street. Tickets are $40. 6pm to 9pm.
- ¡Sabrosa! Soundsystem at Axelrad | No Cover – Head to the Axelrad beer garden for a night of DJs spinning vintage latin and tropical rhythms on original vinyl. 7pm.
- Harry Potter Trivia at Great Heights Brewing Company – Witches and wizards can come together for an evening of Harry Potter Trivia at Great Heights Brewing. Tickets start at $6. 7pm to 9:30pm.
- Tony Kamel in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The Austin-based singer-songwriter and actor, Tony Kamel headlines at White Oak Music Hall with openers Christy Hayes, and Philippe Bronchtine. Tickets are $15. 7pm.
- Chris Fleming at Warehouse Live – Best known for his YouTube series Gayle, comedian Chris Fleming takes the stage at Warehouse Live. Tickets start at $25. 7:30pm.
- An Evening with Kyle Donovan, Brian Kalinec and Jordi Baizan Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Singer-songwriters, Kyle Donovan, Brian Kalinec, and Jordi Baizan come together for a concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20 in advance; $22 at the door. 9:30pm.
Friday, January 11, 2019
- Opening Reception of Rebecca Morris: The Ache of Bright at Blaffer Art Museum | FREE – Celebrate the opening reception of Rebecca Morris: The Ache of Bright, a new survey exhibition of the painter Rebecca Morris at the Blaffer Art Museum. 6pm to 9pm.
- Rainbow on ICE at Discovery Green | No Cover – Head to Discovery Green for Rainbow on Ice, an annual LGBTQ celebration, which this year features Drag Houston’s live staged production of Ariana Grande’s “Thank U, Next.” Throughout the evening, you can enjoy music by DJ Joe Ross and costumes made with recycled items by Yahiara Dehill. 7pm.
- Danity Kane in Concert at House of Blues – Jam out to throwback hits like “Showstopper” and “Damaged” as Danity Kane takes the stage for a live show at House of Blues. Tickets start at $25, but you may find better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Stay Tooned! A Tribute to ’90s Cartoons at Insomnia Gallery | No Cover – Feel the ‘90s kid nostalgia at this gallery show that pays homage to all of your favorite cartoons from the 1990s. Featuring more than 30 local artists, Stay Tooned will showcase works featuring everything from Hey Arnold and Power Puff Girls to Daria and The Simpsons. 7pm to 11pm.
- Culture Wars in Concert Warehouse Live – Austin-based rockers, Culture Wars hit the stage at Warehouse Live with openers Swells and No Rehearsal. Tickets are $10 in advance; $15 the day of. 7pm.
- Siempre Selena Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Sing along to songs like “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom” and “Como la Flor” when Selena tribute band, Siempre Selena, performs at White Oak Music Hall. Red Iris opens the show. Tickets start at $12. 7:30pm.
- Flashback Fridays at Henke & Pillot in Downtown – Head to Henke & Pillot for a laid-back dance night as every Friday as the dynamic duo, DJ Stashwell & DJ FlipHop, provide all the hits from the past and present. 10pm.
- Sick Individuals at Clé Houston – Catch a set from the EDM duo, Sick Individuals at the Clé Houston lounge in Midtown. Tickets are $10. 11pm.
Saturday, January 12, 2019
- Calpurnia in Concert at House of Blues – Calpurnia is a young indie rock band, meaning they’ve only just formed in 2017 but also are made up of young teenagers led by Stranger Things actor, Finn Wolfhard. See them at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets are $25. 7pm.
- Kevin Hart at Toyota Center – Laugh your head off when comedy superstar Kevin Hart heads to Houston’s Toyota Center on the “Irresponsible Tour”. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Shaun of the Dead Movie Screening Party at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema – The Alamo Drafthouse hosts an interactive movie party for the hilarious and quotable movie, Shaun of the Dead with snacks and props. Tickets are $14.07. 7:30pm.
- Bo DePeña Band in Concert at Goodnight Charlie’s – Dance the night away as the Texas-based country artist, Bo DePeña, teams up with local musicians for an evening show at Goodnight Charlie’s. Tickets are TBD. 8pm.
- David Bowie All Night at Numbers Nightclub – Get down to all of your favorite jams by none other than David Bowie when Numbers Nightclub hosts this special event dedicated to the legendary artist. Be one of the first 300 attendees and receive a Bowie souvenir, then stick around for other fun giveaways like a Smart TV preloaded with David Bowie music and videos. $5 cover charge before 10pm; $7 after 10pm. 8pm.
- Googoosh in Concert at Hobby Center – See a performance by the Iranian actress and pop star, Faegheh Atashin, better known by her stage name Googoosh, when she brings her show to Houston’s Hobby Center. Tickets start at $64, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. 8:30pm.
- Emo Nite at the Studio at Warehouse Live – Sing and dance along to all of your favorite emo songs at Emo Nite at Warehouse Live. Tickets are $10 for 21 and over; $15 for under 21. 9pm.
- CID in Concert at Spire Houston – Grammy award-winning American DJ and producer, CID, takes the stage at the Spire Houston nightclub in Downtown. Tickets are $10. 10pm.
- Kinda Super Disco presents Coyu at The Dive – Kinda Super Disco brings the Catalan DJ and producer, Coyu for a dance night at The Dive. Tickets are $20. 10pm.
Sunday, January 13, 2019
- Sunday Funday Sessions at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts their Sunday Sessions with sounds by DJ SMNS and an all-day happy hour that features $4 Frozé’s (frozen rosé). 5pm.
- Codes at Stereo Live – Head to the Stereo Live nightclub to dance to house music from DJ and producer, Codes. Tickets are $5. 6pm to 10pm.
- Gnash in Concert at House of Blues – Hear a live show featuring hit songs like “I Hate U, I Love U” as alternative hip-hop artist Gnash brings his tour to House of Blues. Tickets are $20, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Sunday Theatre Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – The LGBTQ-friendly nightclub, Guava Lamp hosts their theatre-themed karaoke night every Sunday. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).