Celebrate the vision and the impact of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with these Houston MLK Day 2019 celebrations parades, performances, and gatherings from Saturday, January 12 to MLK Day, Monday, January 21, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
Although the official day for honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. may not be until Monday, January 21, there are plenty of celebrations and events the week leading up to Houston MLK Day 2019.
Martin Luther King Day 2019 Celebrations in Houston
Saturday, January 12, 2019
- Pearland MLKCC Celebration of Unity Festival | FREE – The Pearland MLK Celebration Committee presents the 2nd Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration of Unity at Pearland Town Center. Continue the recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, with the community and enjoy cultural performances, live music, kid’s activities, food, speakers, and other activities. 6pm to 8pm.
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
- Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Celebration at Rothko Chapel – The Rothko Chapel will hold lectures and host conversation exploring the power of symbols in society today. The conversation will include civil rights activist and organizer Rev. Dr. Bernard LaFayette, Jr. and Former Indian Ambassador Nirupama Rao exploring the influence of Mahatma Gandhi on Dr. King, moderated by Melanie Lawson. The program features opening remarks by Mayor Sylvester Turner and Consul General of India, Dr. Anupam Ray. Tickets are pay-what-you-can with a suggested donation of $20. 7pm.
Friday, January 18, 2019
- 23rd Annual Foley Gardere MLK Jr. Oratory Competition at Antioch Missionary Baptist Church | FREE – Cheer on talented students as they compete in the 23rd Annual Foley Gardere MLK Jr. Oratory Competition, which challenges participants to present a short speech in response to the question, “What would Dr. King say to the children of today’s world?”. 10am.
Saturday, January 19, 2019
- MLK Youth Parade in Midtown Houston | FREE – Head to Midtown to march in –or watch– the 13th Annual MLK Youth Parade featuring 10 parade floats and 20 marching bands. The parade will take place near the HCC Central Campus. Noon to 1:30pm.
Sunday, January 20, 2019
- MLK Battle of the Bands Competition at W.W. Thorne Stadium | FREE – The 18th Annual MLK Battle of the Bands will feature more than 20 nationally acclaimed marching bands from across the country, including the best high school marching bands from Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas. 4pm to 7pm.
MLK Day, Monday, January 21, 2019
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Breakfast at George R. Brown Convention Center – The North Houston Frontiers Club hosts its 31st annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Breakfast at the George R Brown Convention Center. Tickets are $50. 8am.
- 25th Annual MLK Grande Parade in Midtown | FREE – Watch over 30 marching bands and 15 parade floats at the 25th Annual MLK Parade in Midtown near the HCC Central Campus. This year’s theme will be, “It Takes a Village”. 10pm to noon.
- MLK Day at Children’s Museum of Houston – Listen to uplifting words by Gardere’s oratory speech winner, march down Kid’s Hall in celebration of civil rights, hear the “I Have a Dream” speech and more at the Children’s Museum’s MLK Day Celebration. Tickets are $5. 10am.
- 41st Annual Original MLK Day Parade & Celebration at Hermann Square | FREE – Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as The Black Heritage Society Organization presents the 41st Original MLK Day Parade in Downtown. The event was originally scheduled to take place by Minute Maid Park, but was relocated to Hermann Square by City Hall. 10am.
- MLK Day Audio Installation at Rothko Chapel | FREE – Listen to various speeches that MLK gave throughout his life with this interactive installation at Rothko Chapel. 11am.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).