Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 2 to Sunday, January 6, 2019.
Happening This Week
Also in January 2019
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comic Jamie Kennedy at Houston Improv | Thursday through Saturday – Comedian-actor-writer-producer Jamie Kennedy shares hilarious anecdotes from his storied show business career for three nights. $22 to $32, but you can score 2-for-1 tickets with promo code Jamie365 if you act quickly. Click here to order tickets. Showtimes vary.
Wednesday, January 2, 2019
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Join Axelrad for their popular Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of the best Jazz musicians in Houston. 6:30pm.
- Break the Ice Date Night at The Ice at Discovery Green – Bring your date for a romantic night skating under the skyline of downtown Houston at The Ice at Discovery Green park. There will be hot chocolate and other treats available at the Snack-N-Skate Shop. Tickets are $11; $4 skate rental. 7pm to 9pm.
- Harry Potter Trivia at King’s BierHaus | No Cover – Wizards and muggles can come together for King’s BierHaus Harry Potter Trivia night in the Heights. There will also be Harry Potter-themed food and drinks. 7pm to 10pm.
- Cards Against Humanity Tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston | No Cover – Comedian, Roxxy Haze hosts a night of fun and laughs with a Cards Against Humanity tournament at Craft Beer Cellar Houston every Wednesday. 7:30pm.
- Millennial-Dolls at JR’s Houston | No Cover – Enjoy a high energy weekly cast of up and coming local drag queens at the Millennial-Dolls show hosted by Dessie Love Blake at JR’s Houston. 11pm.
Thursday, January 3, 2019
- ’90s Pop-Culture Theme Trivia at Eureka Heights Brew Co – Join the Heights Young Professionals for ’90s Pop Culture Theme Trivia, drink specials, a ’90s costume contest and more at Eureka Heights Brew Co. Tickets are $10. 5pm to 10pm.
- Steak and Bingo Night at Little Woodrow’s in The Heights – Join Little Woodrow’s in The Heights for a few rounds of bingo, drink specials and a steak provided by Southern Standard. $18 for the steak dinner and bingo. 6pm.
- Johnny Nicholas with Cindy Cashdollar in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Americana artist, Johnny Nicholas performs with longtime friend Cindy Cashdollar at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20; $22 at the door. 7pm.
- Kandy at Stereo Live – The up-and-coming EDM DJ, Kandy, from Long Island arrives in Houston for his first set of the new year, featuring new music off his forthcoming EP. This show is free, with RSVP, or $5 for Express Entry. 10pm.
- So You Think You Can Drag at JR’s Houston | No Cover – Watch lip syncs, dancing, and death drops when the LGBTQ-friendly nightclub, JR’s Houston hosts their amateur drag night. 11pm.
Friday, January 4, 2019
- Nathan Quick in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Catch a set from Nathan Quick, a local Americana singer-songwriter at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20 in advance; $22 at the door. 9:30pm.
- Disco Expressions in Concert at The Continental Club – Disco your way to The Continental Club on Mid Main and enjoy a ’70s-inspired set from the Disco Expressions. Cover charge at the door. 10pm.
- Sam Riggs with The Powell Brothers in Concert at Big Texas Spring – Country music singer-songwriter, Sam Riggs comes to town for his Love & Panic Tour with special guests, The Powell Brothers at Big Texas Spring. Tickets are $10 for 21 and up; $10 for 18 and up. 10pm.
- Flashback Friday’s at Henke & Pillot Downtown Houston – Head to Henke & Pillot for a laid-back dance night as every Friday as the dynamic duo, DJ Stashwell & DJ FlipHop, provide all the hits from the past and present. 10pm.
- Vertigo Movie Screening at River Oaks Theatre – River Oaks Theatre presents a special midnight screening of Vertigo, Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece that stars James Stewart as a detective obsessed with a mysterious woman. Tickets are $11. Midnight.
Saturday, January 5, 2019
- Little White Oak Night Market at Sideout Volleybar | No Cover – The Little White Oak Night Market will feature local farmers, craft merchandise vendors, and local artists at Sideout Volleyball. 4pm to 8pm.
- BowiElvis Fest at The Continental Club – In its tenth year, this celebration of David Bowie and Elvis Presley, who each share a birthday on January 8th, brings together eight bands to honor the legends, complete with a costume contest, face painting, games and more. Tickets start at $20. 7pm.
- Backdrop Violet in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Watch a performance from the local rock band, Backdrop Violet, at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $10. 7pm.
- Heights Funk Collective, with Tightn’ Up, DEM in Concert at Rudyard’s British Pub – The nine-piece funk fusion powerhouse lights up Rudyard’s for a night of funk, soul, and boogie music from The Heights Funk Collective and Tightn’ Up. Tickets are $8. 8pm.
- Dollie Barnes in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – Dollie Barnes, hailing from Houston, mixes pop sensibilities with dream-like vocals into a pot of ’60s- and ’70s-inspired writing while still maintaining a sound that is all her own. Watch her perform live at the Axelrad beer garden in Midtown. 9pm.
Sunday, January 6, 2019
- Sunday Funday Axelmarket at Axelrad | No Cover – The Axelrad beer garden in Midtown hosts a Sunday market with local farmers, artists, makers, drink specials and food trucks. Noon to midnight.
- David Bowie Birthday Bash at Big Star Bar | No Cover – Celebrate David Bowie’s birthday with DJ Scary Monster and DJ Hallo Spaceboy spinning all your favorite Bowie hits, drink specials, giveaways Cactus Music, and a live performance from the Tribal Lillie’s at Big Star Bar. 6pm.
- Alejandro Escovedo, with Don Antonio in Concert at The Heights Theater – The Mexican-American songwriter, Alejandro Escovedo, blends genres of rock, country, and even punk into a performance that highlights personal struggles and the need for belonging based on his most recent release, The Crossing. Tickets range from $24 to $192. 8pm.
- Sunday Theatre Karaoke at Guava Lamp | No Cover – The LGBTQ-friendly nightclub, Guava Lamp hosts their theatre-themed karaoke night every Sunday. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).