Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, December 17 to Sunday, December 23, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2018
Prep for Christmas at a showing of Handel’s Messiah, hear renowned photographer Annie Leibovitz discuss her latest book release, sip from 32 Saint Arnold’s craft brews when they take over Conservatory downtown, cheer on their Rockets when they go head-to-head against our Texan rivals, and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Christmas Events Around Houston | Daily – Get in the Christmas spirit with our list of the Top 25 parties, festivals, concerts, markets and other festive events happening in and around Houston. Times vary.
- Annie Leibovitz at University of Houston’s Cullen Performance Hall | Monday, December 17 – One of the most influential photographers of our time, Annie Leibovitz, takes the stage at Cullen Performance Hall to share what it takes to capture a cover-worthy image in her recently released book, At Work. Tickets start at $57. 7pm.
- Il Divo in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Thursday, December 20 – The powerful vocal quartet, Il Divo, returns to Houston’s Smart Financial Centre for another moving performance as part of their “Timeless Tour”. Tickets start at $35, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8:30pm.
- Hansel and Gretel at the Rec Room | Thursday, December 20 to Saturday, December 22 – Englebert Humperdinck provides a sweeping score for this micro-opera, which follows a young duo, Hansel and Gretel, who venture into the woods in search of food for their family. During their search, they discover an enchanted cottage made of sweets, along with its unfortunate occupant. Tickets start at $30. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Symphony presents Handel’s Messiah at Sugar Land Baptist Church and Jones Hall | Thursday, December 20 to Sunday, December 23 – Hear the ever-exuberant choruses of songs like “Hallelujah” and “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain” in Handel’s Messiah, a powerful and timeless production performed by the Houston Symphony, chorus, and guest soloists at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $58. Friday and Saturday 8pm; Sunday 2:30pm.
- Saint Arnold Naughty List Tap Takeover at Conservatory | Friday, December 21 | No Cover – Local favorite Saint Arnold will take over all 32 taps at Downtown’s Conservatory, featuring a range of creative brews (think Nitro Raspberry AF aged in Whistlepig whiskey barrels with vanilla beans) in the third annual Naughty List Tap Takeover. 11am to midnight.
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s The Ghosts of Christmas Eve at Toyota Center | Friday, December 21 – See a powerful performance by the renowned Trans-Siberian Orchestra as they play their Ghosts of Christmas Eve concert at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $48.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 3:30pm and 8pm.
- Robert Earl Keen in Concert at House of Blues | Friday, December 21 – Catch a country music concert by Robert Earl Keen, a native Houstonian known for his long-standing career in bluegrass and his magnetic stage presence, when he takes the mic at House of Blues. Tickets start at $47.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Winter Wonderland Pop-up Experience | Saturday, December 22 and Sunday, December 23 – Browse an interactive Christmas experience featuring four themed installation rooms at the Winter Wonderland Pop-up. You can sit on Santa’s sleigh at the North Pole, watch clips of your favorite Christmas movies on the big screen, have a snowball fight with your pals and more. Tickets start at $20.88. 9am both days.
- Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs at Toyota Center | Saturday, December 22 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Spurs at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $20, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- Playboi Carti in Concert at Revention Music Center | Sunday, December 23 – Jam out to a live show by Playboi Carti, formerly known as Sir Cartier, when the “Broke Boi” rapper takes the stage at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $35, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. 8pm.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas Live on Stage at The Grand 1894 Opera House | Sunday, December 23 – Watch Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus, and the rest of the Peanuts gang come to life in a delightful production of the Christmas classic at The Grand 1894 Opera House. Tickets range from $25 to $65, but limited discounted tickets are available. 1pm and 4pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).