Make the most of your week with our top 14 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, December 10 to Sunday, December 16, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2018
Root for the Rockets as they go head-to-head with the Lakers; sing along to an acoustic concert by Jason Mraz; check out a live show from the guys in The Dollop podcast; make a dent in your gift-giving list at a trendy holiday market and more.
Top 14 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Potted Potter: The Unauthorized Harry Potter Experience at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Starts Tuesday, December 11 – The magic of Harry Potter comes to life in this comedic performance that runs through all seven books in just 70 minutes at Downtown’s Hobby Center. Tickets start at $49.99, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Tuesday, December 11 to Sunday, December, 15 – See a live version of the Disney classic, Beauty and the Beast, when TUTS presents a new production of the timeless tale at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts throughout the month of December. Tickets start at $43.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Showtimes vary.
- Pride and Prejudice at Studio 101 | Wednesday, December 12 to Friday, December 14, and Sunday, December 15 – Watch the literary classic, Pride and Prejudice, come to life in Kate Hamill’s adaptation of the famous play that follows the love story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Tickets start at $17, but a limited number of $32 tickets discounted to $16 are available. Showtimes vary.
- Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers at Toyota Center | Thursday, December 13 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Lakers at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $69, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Thursday Night Take Over at Fluff Bake Bar | Thursday, December 13 – Join Fluff Bake Bar owner Rebecca Masson as she welcomes another guest chef for this week’s Thursday Night Take Over. Each chef will prepare a menu of three to four items available a la carte, along with optional wine pairings and beer from Saint Arnold. Menu prices vary. 6pm to 8pm.
- Ministry in Concert at House of Blues | Thursday, December 13 – Feel the rage at a concert by the pioneers of industrial metal, Ministry, whose legacy dates back to the early ‘80s. The group will perform at House of Blues in support of their fourteenth studio album, with Carpenter Brut and Igorrr opening the show. Tickets start at $35, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 6:30pm.
- Jason Mraz with Toca Rivera in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, December 14 – Singer-songwriter Jason Mraz joins his longtime pal, percussionist Toca Rivera, for the Live in Stereo tour, which showcases an acoustic performance by the talented duo. Tickets start at $34.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Running of the Bulls 5K at NRG Park | Saturday, December 15 – Race through NRG Park alongside the Texans’ Toro, cheerleaders, the Deep Steel Thunder band, and more in the eighth annual Running of the Bulls 5K, presented by HEB. The day will include a Kids 1K for children 12 and under, and both a competitive and non-competitive 5K for adults. The competitive 5K costs $40, while the non-competitive 5K is $35, and the Kids 1K costs $30. 7:30am.
- Heights Mercantile Holiday Market | Saturday, December 15 | No Cover – Shop unique gifts from a variety of trendy boutiques and pop-ups on the promenade at the area’s hottest new mixed-use development, Heights Mercantile. 11am to 6pm.
- Game of Thrones Pub Crawl in Downtown Houston | Saturday, December 15 – Bring honor to your house by dressing up in Westeros-worthy garb and trekking downtown for a Game of Thrones pub crawl. Expect GoT-themed drinks, drink specials, prizes for the best costumes, and a raffle. Tickets start at $17.89. 3pm to 9pm.
- Christmas Party with Santa & Mrs. Claus at Southern Star Brewing Company | Saturday, December 15 | FREE – Don your tacky Christmas sweater to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus at Southern Star Brewing’s family-friendly Christmas extravaganza. Featuring holiday tunes by The Home Brewed Brass Ensemble, the party will also offer plenty of grub from Russo’s Pizza and La Grange Bar B Que & Grill for purchase. 6pm to 10pm.
- The Dollop Podcast at The Ballroom at Warehouse Live | Saturday, December 15 – Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds bring a live version of their hilarious and educational podcast, The Dollop, to Houston’s Warehouse Live this Saturday night. Focused on American history, each episode of the podcast pulls a specific event or person to discuss for its humorous or peculiar qualities. Tickets start at $29.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7pm.
- Sleep in Concert at White Oak Music Hall | Saturday, December 15 – Jam out to heavy metal when the influential band from the early ‘90s, Sleep, returns to the stage in support of its fourth album, The Sciences. Tickets are $25, but find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Santa Hustle 5k & Half Marathon in Galveston | Sunday, December 16 – Race a 5K or half marathon through Galveston while dressed up as old St. Nick—no need to purchase a costume; you’ll get a beard, hat, and performance hoodie with registration, and can upgrade to receive candy cane socks, a red tutu, arm warmers and face tattoos for an additional fee. You can enjoy cookies, candy canes, and holiday tunes all along the way, then stick around for an after-party. Tickets start at $44.75. 7am.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).