Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, December 12 to Sunday, December 16, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2018
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comedian Chris Distefano at Houston Improv | Thursday to Saturday – Laugh it up at a comedy show by actor and stand-up comedian Chris Distefano, who will perform five shows at Houston Improv. Distefano has appeared on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Late Show with David Letterman, and Comedy Central’s The Half Hour. Tickets start at $20, but you can score 2-for-1 tickets for a limited time with promo code Chris365. Showtimes vary.
Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – The Axelrad beer garden hosts their Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of local jazz musicians. 6:30pm.
- 100 Years of Scotch: Scotch Tasting at Down House – Learn, enjoy small bites, and sip on your favorite Scotch at the 100 Years of Scotch event at Down House in the Heights. Tickets are $39. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- Break the Ice Date Night at The Ice at Discovery Green – Bring your date for a romantic night skating under the skyline of downtown Houston at The Ice at Discovery Green park. There will be hot chocolate and other treats available at the Snack-N-Skate Shop. Tickets are $11. $4 skate rental. 7pm to 9pm.
- Tamales & Tequila at The Rustic | No Cover – The Rustic teams up with Ambhar Tequila for complimentary tamales with purchase of a drink from their reserve tequila menu. 7pm to 9pm.
- Music to Your Beer: Boomtown Brass Band at Karbach Brewing – Jam out to some traditional jazz tunes with the Boomtown Brass Band at Karbach Brewing Restaurant & Patio. 7pm to 9pm.
- JMSN in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch a show from the R&B/soul singer-songwriter and producer, JMSN along with support from August 08 at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $15. 7pm.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Trivia Night at The Phoenix on Westheimer – Get into the holiday spirit and test your knowledge of the hilarious Christmas movie, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation at The Phoenix on Westheimer. Wear an ugly sweater for more points and the ugliest sweater gets a prize. 8pm to 10pm.
Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Craft Asylum: Second Thursdays at Texas Art Asylum | No Cover – Texas Art Asylum hosts a relaxed craft event where you can crochet, knit, paint draw and more. This event is BYOB and light snacks will be provided. 6pm.
- Cooking With Beer Demo Dinner at City Acre Brewing Co. – Chef Rick and Head Brewer Matt prepare four delicious courses at City Acre Brewing Co. You’ll also learn how to make each of the beer dishes and go home with the recipes. Tickets are $59. 6pm to 9pm.
- Ministry in Concert at House of Blues – Pioneers of industrial metal dating back to the early ’80s, Ministry are angry about the country’s politics and have embarked on a tour in support of their fourteenth studio album. Carpenter Brut and Igorrr open the show at House of Blues. Tickets range from $35 to $55. 6:30pm.
- 4th Annual Karbach Caroling Crawl at Lucky’s Pub | No Cover – Wear your most festive holiday gear, while singing your heart out at the 4th Annual Karbach Caroling Crawl at participating bars, Lucky’s Pub, King’s Court, Little Woodrow’s EaDo and more. 6:30pm to 10pm.
- Matthew Perryman Jones in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – See the Nashville-based singer-songwriter, Matthew Perryman Jones at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $20 in advance; $22 at the door. 7pm.
- Crafts & Cocktails DIY Party at Piggy’s Kitchen & Bar – Gather your friends and enjoy a delicious holiday cocktail at Piggy’s Kitchen & Bar while you create your own holiday centerpiece arrangement. Tickets are $35. 7pm to 9pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Ugly Sweater Holiday Party at Present Company | No Cover – Present Company bar in Montrose hosts their Ugly Sweater Holiday Party with festive cocktails and holiday music. 8pm.
Friday, December 14, 2018
- Bad Santa Bar Crawl – The Bad Santa Bar Crawl will feature 2 complimentary drinks, drink and food specials, and professional photographers at participating bars like Kung Fu Saloon, Lincoln Bar, Standard and more. Check-in will be at Fuego’s Saloon. Tickets are $10 for presale; $25 on the day of the event. 6pm.
- Cocktails in the Ballroom at El Dorado Ballroom – Warm up with spiked hot chocolate and sweet treats while listening to atmospheric music at Project Row Houses’ annual event at El Dorado Ballroom. Located in Third Ward, PRH aims to enrich lives through art and create opportunities in marginalized communities. Tickets are $50; admission is free for current members. 6:30pm.
- 6lack’s From East Atlanta with Love Tour at Revention Music Center – 6LACK (pronounced Black), is a melodic rapper from Atlanta, Georgia, best known for his tracks “Prblms”, “Free”, and “Cutting Ties”. Tickets range from $30 to $90, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. 7pm.
- Jason Mraz with Toca Rivera in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Longtime friends, Jason Mraz and percussionist Toca Rivera have joined for the “Live in Stereo” tour, offering fans an intimate acoustic performance from the multiple Grammy Award-winning musician. Tickets range from $34.50 to $124.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 8pm.
- Night Drive in Concert at Rockefellers – The Austin-based electronic duo, Night Drive take the stage at Rockefellers with openers Tee Vee and Black Kite. Tickets are $10. 8pm.
- 5th Annual Ugly Sweater Party & Toy Drive at Proof Rooftop Lounge – Proof Rooftop Lounge hosts their annual Ugly Sweater Party and Toy Drive with drink specials, wings and gumbo, and DJs. Free with RSVP, an ugly sweater, and a toy. Dress code is enforced. 9pm.
- Rocket 808 in Concert at Dan Electro’s Guitar Bar – Catch a set from the Austin-based rock and roll band, Rocket 808 with openers Poizon and Searing Arrow at Dan Electro’s Guitar Bar. Tickets are $10. 9pm.
- ComedySportz’s Live Improvised Movie: Christmas Edition at CSz Arena – Puts some hilarity into your holiday season as ComedySportz mashes up all of your favorite Christmas movie clichés into one hilarious improv show. Tickets are $14, but discounted $7 tickets are available. 10:30pm.
- 54 at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar – Boogie over to Prohibition Theatre and get down with Houston’s brightest stars, The Moonlight Dolls, for the party of your life. This one-hour show is followed by two hours of disco dancing. Tickets are $20, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10. 11pm.
Saturday, December 15, 2018
- Holiday Party at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Bust out that ugly sweater, shop for last-minute gifts at the pop-up market, groove to some live music and drink some beer at Under the Radar’s Holiday Party. Noon to 8pm.
- Game of Thrones Pub Crawl in Downtown Houston – Bring honor to your house by dressing up in Westeros-worthy garb and trekking Downtown for a Game of Thrones pub crawl. Expect GoT-themed drinks, drink specials, prizes for the best costumes, and a raffle. Tickets start at $17.89. 3pm to 9pm.
- Stuff Your Stockings Art Show at The Hardy & Nance Studios – The Hardy & Nance Studios presents the Stuff You Stockings Art Show and Holiday Bash where you can purchase artwork from local artists at an affordable price. There will be artwork available for $100 or less. 5pm to 9pm.
- Christmas Party with Santa & Mrs. Claus at Southern Star Brewing Company | No Cover – Don your tacky Christmas sweater to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus at Southern Star Brewing’s family-friendly Christmas extravaganza. Featuring holiday tunes by The Home Brewed Brass Ensemble, the party will also offer plenty of grub from Russo’s Pizza and La Grange Bar B Que & Grill for purchase. 6pm to 10pm.
- KiKi Maroon’s Ho Ho Ho-liday Burlesque Show – The Ho Ho Ho-liday Show is The Burlesque Varie-tease show with a Christmas twist. Expect reindeer showgirls, naughty elves, sexy show queens, and even a Nutcracker or two. The show offers burlesque, standup comedy, live music, showgirls, and a good time for all. Tickets are $25. 7pm.
- Neon Garden: Nite Jewel in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – Experience a visual and auditory evening at the Neon Garden concert series featuring the LA-based headliner, Nite Jewel at Axelrad. Openers include Rex Hudson, Lazybit Collective, and SIXIXIX. 7:30pm.
- Sleep in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – An influential heavy metal band from the early ’90s, Sleep reformed in 2009 and have released their fourth album, The Sciences, heralding a comeback for a band once thought gone. Tickets are $25. 8pm.
- Kshmr in Concert at Stereo Live – Hit the dance floor at a live show by EDM giant Kshmr when he brings his magnetic electro house mixes to Stereo Live. Tickets start at $29. 10pm.
- DJ Isaac Escalante at Rich’s Houston – Make your way to Midtown for a set by EDM DJ and producer Isaac Escalante at the LGBTQ-friendly nightclub, Rich’s. Tickets start at $10 for presale. 10pm.
- The Late Show: Bathtub Full of Gin at Prohibition Supperclub – Step into the Roaring ’20s, when skirts were short and booze was a secret pleasure. Bathtub Full of Gin is Terrible Enfant Theatre Company’s immersive dance party series, where evocative theatre performances combine with high energy electro swing music. Tickets are $20 for standing; $35 for seated, but limited, discounted $10 standing tickets are available for most shows. 11pm.
Sunday, December 16, 2018
- Santa at the Brewery at Platypus Brewing | No Cover – Bring your friends and family to snap a photo with Santa and donate to the Toy Drive benefiting DePelchin Children’s Center and get a pint for $4 at Platypus Brewing. 1pm to 3pm.
- Fat Tony In-Store Performance at Cactus Music | FREE – Houston-native and hip-hop artist Fat Tony performs at the Cactus Music record store. There will be complimentary refreshments from Saint Arnold’s Brewery. 4pm to 5pm.
- Black Pistol Fire in Concert at House of Blues – The hard rock duo, Black Pistol Fire, takes the stage at House of Blues in Downtown. Blackillac opens the show. Tickets start at $17.50. 7pm.
- PMT Pop Up presents Holiday Cabaret at The Continental Club – For its final Pop Up of 2018, Pitch Me This Productions revives the family-friendly music event Holiday Cabaret. Join Houston-area singers and the PMT Band at a celebration of the season with classic and contemporary holiday music. Tickets are $25, but limited discounted $12.50 tickets are available. 8pm.
- TexMex Christmas Fiesta: Los TexManiacs featuring Flaco Jimenez in Concert at Heights Theatre – Spice up your holidays at this Christmas fiesta in Heights Theatre, featuring Grammy-winners Los TexManiacs with special guest Flaco Jimenez, who has received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. The band will perform their beloved hits, as well as a slew of holiday favorites. Tickets start at $28. 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).