Our My Top 5 series showcases Houstonians who are creating the city’s culture and community and asks them to share their own local favorites. This week we’re delighted to feature magician and comedian Robby Bennett. Considered one of the most versatile performers in the industry, Bennett brings his latest extravaganza, “Anomaly: The Magic of Robby Bennett and Other Curiosities” to Houston for one night only at Wortham Center on Saturday, December 22, 2018.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Robby Bennett
- The Jumper Maybach Fine Art Gallery – This local treasure on 19th Street in the Heights features work from my favorite artist who has been featured all over the world, including The Louvre and Dubai. The exhibits change regularly and it’s also where we do most of our holiday shopping for the clothing and accessories that they sell. Jumper is also in the gallery regularly and it’s great to get insightful curation from the artist himself.
- The 1940 Air Terminal Museum – This is the location of Houston’s first airport on the West side of Hobby Airport that has been renovated and turned into a museum that showcases the early and glory days of aviation, and the Howard Hughes influence. They also have a hangar where old planes and vehicles are showcased. Best $8 you can spend in the city. I like it so much that I got married there.
- Carrabba’s (Kirby) – It seems like after every milestone, professional or personal, I find myself at this restaurant. The staff is simply the best and the food is phenomenal. Johnny and his family are also very personable and giving to the community. It was genius to put in a free parking garage when they opened their two new restaurants, Grace’s and Mia’s Table, which are also personal favorites.
- Texas Children’s Hospital – I was a patient here when I was a kid, and the time I missed from school was when I started teaching myself magic. After that, I cut my teeth as a performer doing shows for their partner charities and visiting patients and their families, many of whom are now longtime friends. There is no better example of positivity and hope, and it takes a community like Houston and the Texas Medical Center to support the largest medical center in the world.
- Axis Performing Arts – Along with rehearsing our show and developing new material here, this dance studio and variety arts center near NASA and Space Center Houston has created a family of in-house performance artists. Would-be performers of all ages come here for regular classes and show off their skills with regular performances of both kids and adult showcases.
About Robby Bennett
Houstonian Robby Bennett has spent nearly a lifetime surrounded by magic. Armed with a repertoire of effects and a personable stage presence, the illusionist, magician, and sleight-of-hand artist has been professionally astonishing audiences since the age of 13 when he was hired as entertainment for General Electric’s Corporate Christmas Party at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Considered to be one of the top performers in his field, to date, Bennett has made television appearances on Good Morning America, Inside Edition, SportsCenter, as well as having performed at renowned venues including Caesar’s Palace and the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, the Beacon Theatre in New York and the famed Hollywood Magic Castle. Catch Robby when he brings his latest extravaganza, Anomaly: The Magic of Robby Bennett and Other Curiosities to Houston for one night only at Wortham Center on Saturday, December 22, 2018.