Make the most of your week with our top 14 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, December 3 to Sunday, December 9, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2018
Celebrate Chanukah with community menorah lightings, tasty bites, and other festivities; reserve your spot at an elegant food and wine pairing; see the Rocket Man perform his farewell tour in Sugar Land; take a stab at guessing games when America’s favorite game show comes to town and more.
Top 14 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- 9th Annual Chanukah Extravaganza at Evelyn’s Park | Tuesday, December 4 – Chow down on all-you-can-eat BBQ, hit up a latke bar, and enjoy face painting, bounce houses, and a community menorah lighting at the Bellaire Jewish Center’s 9th Annual Chanukah Extravaganza in Evelyn’s Park. Tickets start at $12. 4:45pm.
- Arnot-Roberts Wine Dinner at The Pass & Provisions | Tuesday, December 4 – Sip a selection of the highly sought-after Arnot-Roberts wines when they’re carefully paired with a delicious multi-course meal at this special event presented by The Pass & Provisions. $175. 7pm to 10pm.
- The Price is Right Live at Smart Financial Centre | Thursday, December 6 – Come on down to Smart Financial Centre and try your luck at everyone’s favorite game show, The Price is Right Live. Lucky guests can guess the costs of various items for the chance to win a share of $10 million, as well as other valuable prizes. Tickets start at $39.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Holiday on 19th Street in the Heights | Friday, December 7 | FREE – Enjoy free in-store cocktails, roaming carolers, and real snow as the shops on historic 19th Street open their doors for a special Friday evening of shopping and holiday cheer. 6pm to 10pm.
- The Commodores, with The Temptations in Concert at Arena Theatre | Friday, December 7 – Get down to groovy tunes by funk/soul band The Commodores when they team up with their Motown contemporaries, The Temptations for a single performance at Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $55, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8:30pm.
- 2018 Tomball German Christmas Market & Festival | Friday, December 7 to Sunday, December 9 | FREE – Do as the Germans do and celebrate Christmas with plenty of food, beer, and wine, as well as live music on four stages, a petting zoo, and a holiday market featuring more than 200 vendors with antiques, arts and crafts, souvenirs and more. Times vary.
- A Very Merry Pops with Ali Ewoldt at Jones Hall | Friday, December 7 to Sunday, December 9 – Get in the Christmas spirit with a spectacular concert starring the Phantom of the Opera Broadway star, Ali Ewoldt, who will belt out all of your holiday favorites while backed by the Houston Symphony. Tickets start at $40. Showtimes vary.
- Catastrophic Theatre presents First Suburb at MATCH | Friday, December 7 to Sunday, December 9 – Venture back to early ‘90s suburbia in Catastrophic Theatre’s newest presentation, First Suburb, which follows five preteens who fall witness to a shocking and violent act that forever affects their views on life. Tickets are pay-what-you-can. The suggested price is $40, but attendees can select ticket pricing from $5 to $75. Showtimes vary.
- Elton John in Concert at Toyota Center | Saturday, December 8 and Sunday, December 9 – Bid farewell to Sir Elton John as he tours the world one last time after more than half a century on the road. Expect to hear all of his top hits that have inspired multiple generations and redefined the cultural landscape. Tickets start at $59.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm both nights.
- Lights in Heights in the Woodlands Heights | Saturday, December 8 | FREE – Stroll through the beautifully decorated streets of Woodlands Heights during one of Houston’s biggest holiday events, Lights in the Heights. Every year, the neighborhood streets are closed off, allowing pedestrians to roam freely as they admire the gorgeous homes, which host private parties that sometimes feature musical performances on the porch. After admiring the festive scenery, make your way to area bars and restaurants for tons of after-party fun. Times vary.
- ROCO Unchambered: Force of Nature at MATCH | Saturday, December 8 – ROCO’s principal flute, Brook Ferguson, will perform in this nature-themed piece called “Force of Nature,” which features music for the flute, oboe, viola, cello, and piano. Tickets are $15. 5pm.
- Martina McBride in Concert: The Joy of Christmas Tour at Smart Financial Centre | Saturday, December 8 – Hear a spellbinding concert by famed country music singer Martina McBride in her annual touring Christmas show at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $39.75, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- Houston Texans vs Indianapolis Colts at NRG Stadium | Sunday, December 9 – Watch the Houston Texans play the Colts on their home turf at NRG. Tickets start at $35, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Noon.
- Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall | Sunday, December 9 | FREE – Witness the 23rd Annual Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall, which will include addresses by Dignitaries and elected officials on the eighth night of Chanukah. You can also enjoy music, dreidels, sufganiyot, and Chanukah gelt throughout the evening. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).