Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, December 5 to Sunday, December 9, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in December 2018
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Netflix Hit Comic Steve Byrne at The Houston Improv | 2-for-1 Tickets | Thursday, December 6 to Saturday, December 8 – Hailing from Pittsburgh, Steve Byrne was born to a Korean mother and an Irish father. His unique background gave him the base comedic material for his first television show, Sullivan & Son, which aired for three seasons on TBS. Tickets are $20 for general admission; $30 for the front of the showroom. Score 2-for-1 tickets with promocode Steve365. Times vary.
Wednesday, December 5, 2018
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – The Axelrad beer garden hosts their Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of local jazz musicians. 6:30pm.
- Break the Ice Date Night at The Ice at Discovery Green – Bring your date for a romantic night skating under the skyline of downtown Houston at The Ice at Discovery Green park. There will be hot chocolate and other treats available at the Snack-N-Skate Shop. Tickets are $11. $4 skate rental. 7pm to 9pm.
- Music to Your Beer: Zane Williams in Concert at Karbach Brewing – See a performance from the country artist from McKinney, TX, Zane Williams, at the Karbach Brewing Restaurant and Patio. 7pm to 9pm.
- Chris Isaak in Concert at House of Blues – The “Wicked Games” singer, Chris Isaak takes the stage for his Holiday Tour at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $35. 7pm.
- Bingo & Brews at Cactus Cove | No Cover – Head over to the Cactus Cove in the Heights for a fun night of bingo and booze every Wednesday. 8pm.
- Repeal Day at The Rustic | No Cover – Join The Rustic on Repeal Day and celebrate the 85th Anniversary of the end of prohibition with live music by The Powell Brothers and drink features with Title No 21 Whiskey. 8pm.
Thursday, December 6, 2018
- Royal Teeth in Concert at House of Blues – Indie pop band from Lafayette, New Orleans, Royal Teeth, performs at House of Blues with support from Swimming With Bears. Tickets are $13. 7pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Thursday Pop-Up with Chef Becky Masson at Glitter Karaoke – Glitter Karaoke will host Fluff Bake Bar’s Rebecca Masson (aka the Sugar Fairy) for a festive holiday rendition of its Thursday Night Pop-Up chef series. Menu prices vary. 8pm.
- Eyedress in Concert at Satellite Bar – Indie rock band, Eyedress, plays at Satellite Bar in the East End with Pearl Crush and Daze. Tickets start at $12. 8pm.
- H.E.R. in Concert at Revention Music Center – R&B singer-songwriter, Gabriella ‘Gabi’ Wilson, who goes by the stage name H.E.R., performs at Revention Music Center. Tickets range from $35 to $195, butr you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale market. 8:30pm.
- Oh Snap: A ’90s & Early ’00s Dance Party at Dean’s Downtown | No Cover – DJ Dayta and Yunginternet play all of your favorite ’90s and early ’00s his at the Oh Snap dance party at Dean’s Downtown. Ages 21 and up only. 10pm.
- Must Die! at Stereo Live – Dance to dubstep, electro house, and drum and bass as the producer, Must Die! spins at Stereo Live. Free with RSVP. $5 for express entry. 10pm.
Friday, December 7, 2018
- Holiday on 19th Street in the Heights | No Cover – Enjoy free in-store cocktails, roaming carolers, and real snow as the shops on historic 19th Street open their doors for a special Friday evening of shopping and holiday cheer. 6pm to 10pm.
- Craft Night: Ugly Christmas Sweater at Heights Common Market – Get crafty and make your very own ugly Christmas sweater at Heights Common Market. There will be adult beverages as well as some hors-d’oeuvres to snack on. Bring your own sweater and they will provide the rest of the materials. Tickets are $25. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Comedian Brian Regan at Revention Music Center – Frequently cited as the funniest comic by other comics (including Jerry Seinfeld, Patton Oswalt, Chris Rock, and Joe Rogan), Brian Regan takes to the stage in Downtown Houston for one night only. Tickets start at $49. 7pm.
- Ugly Sweater Party at Howl at the Moon – Put on your hideous, most horrendous Christmas sweater for Howl at the Moon’s Ugly Sweater Party. The evening will include an ugly sweater contest, drinks, live music and more. 7pm.
- Robert Cray in Concert at The Heights Theater – Grammy-winning American blues guitarist and singer Robert William Cray performs at the Heights Theater on 19th Street. Doors at 7pm; show at 8pm. Tickets start at $38. 8pm.
- The Menil Contemporaries Holiday Party – Kick back with tasty bites and cocktails while admiring the new additions to the Menil Collection at their annual holiday celebration. Join the Menil Contemporaries at the Partner level and two complimentary tickets to the party. Tickets start at $75. 8pm to 11pm.
- ComedySportz’s Live Improvised Movie: Christmas Edition at CSz Arena – Puts some hilarity into your holiday season as ComedySportz mashes up all of your favorite Christmas movie cliches into one hilarious improv show. Tickets are $14, but discounted $7 tickets are available. 10:30pm.
- 54 at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar – Boogie over to Prohibition Theatre and get down with Houston’s brightest stars, The Moonlight Dolls, for the party of your life. This one-hour show is followed by two hours of disco dancing. Tickets are $20, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10. 11pm.
Saturday, December 8, 2018
- Gingerbread House Decorating Party at SpindleTap Brewery – Decorate your own gingerbread house while sipping on a beer at SpindleTap Brewery. Santa will be there for pictures from 3pm to 5pm. Gingerbread house kits are $30. 1pm to 5pm.
- Saint Arnold Rice Village Pub Crawl | No Cover – Whip out your tacky sweater and Santa hat for the Saint Arnold Pub Crawl in Rice Village. Starting at Under the Volcano, the crawl also includes Kelvin Arms, The Big Easy, The Ginger Man, Little Woodrow’s, and Hopdoddy Burger Bar. 2pm to 6pm.
- Lights in Heights in the Woodlands Heights | FREE – Bask in the Christmas spirit and take in the beautifully decorated homes of the Woodland Heights while enjoying holiday musical performers on front porches. 6pm to 9pm.
- Martina McBride in Concert: The Joy of Christmas Tour at Smart Financial Centre – Country music star Martina McBride continues her holiday tradition, bringing “The Joy of Christmas Tour” to Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets range from $39.75 to $79.75, before ticketing fees. 8pm.
- John Butler Trio in Concert at House of Blues – Head Downtown to House of Blues for a concert by Australian-based roots/rock group John Butler Trio. Tickets start at $25, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
- The ’90s Dance Party at Boondocks | No Cover – DJ FREDster and GRRRL Parts play nothing but ’90s music at Boondocks in Montrose. 10pm.
- The Late Show: Bathtub Full of Gin at Prohibition Supperclub – Step into the Roaring ’20s, when skirts were short and booze was a secret pleasure. Bathtub Full of Gin is Terrible Enfant Theatre Company’s immersive dance party series, where evocative theatre performances combine with high energy electro swing music. Tickets are $20 for standing; $35 for seated, but limited, discounted $10 standing tickets are available for most shows. 11pm.
Sunday, December 9, 2018
- Beers & Cheers Holiday Market at Saint Arnold Brewing Co. – Shop for unique holiday gifts when Shop Local sets up their Cheers & Beer Holiday Market at Saint Arnold Brewing Co. This family-friendly event will feature plenty of local vendors, root beer floats for the kiddos, music, ugly sweaters, and even a gift wrapping section. 11am to 4pm.
- Burton & Booooze Part 2 at Karbach Brewing Restaurant and Patio – The Burton & Booooze fest is back with Part 2 and it will feature local vendors, artisans, a Tim Burton-themed costume contest and a screening of The Nightmare Before Christmas at Karbach Brewing Restaurant and Patio. Noon to 8pm.
- The Holiday Brunch: Mixer & Market at Spring Street Beer and Wine Garden | No Cover – Make your way to the Spring Street Beer and Wine Garden for local vendors, food trucks, an ugly Christmas sweater contest, drink specials and more at The Holiday Brunch event. 2pm to 6pm.
- Hi-Fashion Dub at Lil’ Danny Speedo’s Go Fly a Kite Lounge | No Cover – The A Fistful of Soul DJs spin rocksteady, reggae, and early dancehall records at Lil Danny Speedo’s Go Fly a Kite Lounge. 4pm to 9pm.
- Joy Williams, with Anthony Da Costa at The Heights Theater – Joy Elizabeth Williams is an American singer-songwriter. The winner of four Grammy Awards, Williams has released four solo albums and four EPs since her self-titled debut in 2001. Notably, she was also half of the Civil Wars folk duo from 2009 until 2014. Anthony Da Costa opens. Tickets start at $26. 8pm.
- The Weeks in Concert at The Continental Club – Watch a performance from rock and roll band, The Weeks, with support from Okey Dokey at The Continental Club. Tickets are $12. 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).