While Houstonians definitely love their cars, there are nooks and crannies of the city that are best explored by foot. In our Walkable Houston series, we traverse those districts to find the prettiest parks, hottest restaurants and bars, coolest local art and shops, and most visit-worthy hidden gems.
Open since the end of 2015, the River Oaks District is a mixed-use development that spans 650,000 square feet complete with tree-lined streets and walkways, boutiques, sidewalk cafes and more. The district has become one of Houston’s most beloved destinations, offering luxury shopping, dining, and entertainment all in one walkable space.
Play & Explore
- iPic – Catch a blockbuster at this high-end movie theatre, which boasts cozy pod complete with reclining seats, free popcorn, and blankets, plus ninja-like servers that will quietly bring you filet mignon sliders alongside a stellar selection of craft cocktails, beer, and wine.
- Upcoming events – From brand pop-ups and happy hours to fitness programs and the annual “Holidays in the District,” be sure to check out for special events before you visit.
Eat & Drink
- Amorino Gelato al Naturale – Stop by this Italian ice cream shop to get the signature rose-shaped gelato, plus things like sorbets, macarons, and granitas.
- Bisou – With hot social scene, Bisou is a must visit for brunch, when you can enjoy specialties from pastry baskets and cheese boards to short rib hash and foie gras French toast. At lunch and dinner, munch on things like pork belly dumplings, Gulf ceviche, steak frites, and brown butter scallops.
- Hopdoddy Burger Bar – You’ll find some of the city’s juiciest burgers at this Austin import. Get them topped with everything from seared poblanos, smoked bacon, and pepperjack to brie, caramelized onions, and truffle aioli. And don’t forget to tack on a shake or craft beer and some green chile queso fries.
- Le Colonial – Nosh on crispy shrimp and pork rolls, Wagyu oxtail pho, crispy whole red snapper, and filet mignon shaking beef at this sophisticated Vietnamese eatery.
- Loch Bar – This Maryland import features a stellar raw bar, lobster rolls, crab cakes and more.
- MAD Restaurant – The team behind BCN Taste + Tradition will open this Madrid-inspired concept in the River Oaks District, with an expected opening of early 2019.
- Ouzo Bay – With an expected opening in the fall of 2018, this Mediterranean concept serves real deal Greek cuisine, from keftedes and dolmades to shrimp saganaki and char-grilled whole fish.
- Steak 48 – It’s all class at this see-and-be-seen steakhouse, where you people-watch and can dig into Alaskan king crab, wet-aged bone-in ribeye, and corn crème brulee.
- Toulouse Café & Bar – Get a taste of Paris at the sidewalk cafe and elegant bistro, which is open for brunch, lunch, dinner and happy hour. Dine on butter-soaked escargot, crispy duck leg confit, steak frites, and beignets with cappuccino pot de crème.
- The Tuck Room – Located in iPic, The Tuck Room offers shared plates and entrees from Ahi tuna poke, mac and cheese fries, and Caesar salads to shrimp tacos, herb-roasted chicken, and Wagyu burgers.
- Akris – Based in St. Gallen, Switzerland, this international fashion house founded in 1922. Stop by the luxury boutique for women’s clothing, handbags, scarves and more.
- Alice + Olivia – Trendsetters flock to this luxe women’s designer shop.
- Davidoff of Geneva – Find world-class, premium cigars, and accessories at this specialty shop.
- Kiton – Bespoke fashions for men and women at this Italian-based boutique.
- Roller Rabbit – This lifestyle brand offers one-of-a-kind, handcrafted clothing, and accessories, with only a handful of locations.
- Planet Blue – Shop for Bohemian clothing and vintage-inspired styles at this popular fashion haven.
- Saint Bernard – Founded in Dallas in 1978, Saint Bernard specializes in high-end ski, surf, and snowboard products as well as fashion.
- Thornwood Gallery of Fine Art – This full-service gallery features high-quality artwork by international, national, and emerging new artists, providing complimentary art consulting and advisory services for collectors.
- More – See the full store directory and shop for luxury brands from Dior, Harry Winston, and Stella McCartney to Hermès, Diptyque, Canali, and Tom Ford.