Our My Top 5 series showcases Houstonians who are creating the city’s culture and community and asks them to share their own local favorites. This week, we’re very pleased to feature local artist Donkeeboy, aka Alex Roman, Jr., whose VOTE mural at 3718 Main Street is part of a civic effort encouraging a record number of young people to vote on Election Day.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Donkeeboy / Alex Roman, Jr.
- Riel – I really enjoy eating at Riel in Montrose. The pierogis are fire, and so is the music they play. If you have room for dessert, please treat yourself by asking for their dessert that has pig’s blood (no idea what it’s called, but it’s delicious).
- Peluqueria Mi Guerrero Barber Shop Unisex – I enjoy the stories that are told at the barber shop. Listening to real life situations and jokes make a barber shop feel like a special place. Peluqueria Mi Guerrero Barber Shop Unisex has some of the best conversations every time I go. My Barber is Gus; I highly recommend him.
- Glitter Karaoke – One of my friends invited me to this karaoke bar to drink Buddha Beer. I was like, “Buddha beer?” He said, “Oh yeah, man. Buddha Beer all night.” It seemed like an interesting spot so I went. I had a blast—great vibe, great food and some pretty good singers! I have never been a fan of karaoke spots, but Glitter Karaoke is dope.
- La Calle Tacos – When I find myself out and about around Downtown, this is always a for-sure stop. The carnitas tacos with a chicharron on top are bomb. They also have a cantina next door. Definetly a great way to get your night started.
- 8th Wonder Brewery – 8th Wonder is a must if you’re from the H. The brewery is all about that H-Town. Sports, music, art, great beer and food, and all around a great vibe
About Donkeeboy, Alex Roman, Jr.
One of Houston’s top local artists, Donkeeboy, aka Alex Roman Jr., is a first-time registered voter. His recent work includes a Houston Astros mural at Minute Maid Park, taproom mural at 8th Wonder Brewery, and a new collaboration with Shipley Donuts. A Houston native who grew up in Mexico, Donkeeboy is known for creating paintings and apparel that depict pop culture, putting his own unique spin on famous icons with works of art that consist of double entendres and visual puns. Click here to see more of his work or for more information. You can follow Donkeeboy on Instagram at @donkeeboy.