Fall in Houston is off to a great start thanks to these fun and tasty culinary happenings.
Also in November 2018
Happening This Week
November brings the opportunity to feast with the animals at the Houston Zoo, enjoy a community picnic in a secret location, pig out things like chicken wings, kebabs and bao, and quench your thirst with tequila and cerveza, after grubbing on a few tacos, of course.
Here are a dozen of the hottest food and drink events this month.
Top 11 Food & Drink Events This Month: November 2018
- Feast with the Beasts at the Houston Zoo | Friday, November 2 – The Houston Zoo’s annual food, beer, and wine celebration returns for its 13th year, with this year featuring 60 of Houston’s hottest restaurants, musical guest Everclear, and Meet the Keeper Talks and animal experiences scheduled throughout the evening. Tickets are $129 for non-members; $119 for Zoo members. 7pm to 11pm.
- Salamat 2018: Houston Filipino Street Festival at Rice University Stadium (Greenbriar Lot) | Saturday, November 3 – The Filipino Young Professionals of Houston invites locals to experience how the Filipino-American community celebrate the rich culture, heritage and spirit of the Philippines with the Houston community. Just like the street festivals celebrated all over the Philippines, guests can expect a variety of food, drinks, entertainment, vendors, and activities for the entire family. Early bird entry is $4. 11am to 7pm.
- Le Dîner en Blanc at Secret Location | Sunday, November 4 – The 2018 version of this chic pop-up picnic, which originated in Paris 30 years ago, is returning for the fourth year. At the last minute, the secret location will be revealed to thousands of locals, all dressed all in white and ready for an evening of French elegance, beauty, food, and community. Time TBA.
- Thursday Night Take Over at Fluff Bake Bar | Thursday, November 8 – Fluff Bake Bar owner Rebecca Masson continues her monthly “Thursday Night Take Over” dinner series, with this month featuring chef Matthew Gaudet of Massachusetts eatery Superfine Food. Each guest chef will create a menu of three to four items available a la carte and Masson will create a special dessert to compliment the menu, with optional wine pairings and specialty beer from Saint Arnold. No tickets or reservations are required, but four “chef’s table” seats will be available for purchase each month. Ten percent of all proceeds will benefit Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry program. 6pm to 9pm.
- 10th Annual Picnic in the Park at Levy Park | Thursday, November 8 – This annual charity event brings together food lovers, businesses, and philanthropists in raising money for SEARCH Homeless Services, a United Way organization dedicated to fighting homelessness in the Houston area. This year’s evening under the stars includes bites and drinks from over a dozen local favorites, including Emmaline, Ouisie’s Table, Coppa Osteria, Uchi, Treebeards, and Songkran Thai Kitchen. Tickets are $100 for individuals, with additional underwriting opportunities available. 6pm to 9pm.
- Iron Sommelier at The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa | Thursday, November 8 – The Periwinkle Foundation will be hosting its 11th Anniversary Iron Sommelier, featuring a premier wine competition and tasting. The city’s most prestigious sommeliers will compete for the title of Iron Sommelier, as each selects three wines that focus on a particular wine region, grape, or style and personally presents the wines they are pouring. Tickets are $200 in advance. Casual chic attire is preferred. 6pm to 10pm.
- Wing-A-Rama Houston Chicken Wing Festival at POST Houston | Saturday, November 10 – SGD Events will host the first Wing-A-Rama Houston Chicken Wing Festival in the old Barbara Jordan Post Office Downtown). Attendees can rate and enjoy unlimited wing tastings (while supplies last) from over 20 of Houston’s best chefs and restaurants, all competing for the titles of “Best Chicken Wings” and “Best Chicken Wing Inspired Dish.” There will also be a flaming hot chicken wing-eating contest for ten brave contestants, plus an exclusive VIP section, appearances from the Houston Astros and Houston Dynamo. Tickets for general admission are $35, with early bird pricing, early entry tickets, and VIP tickets also available. 1pm to 5pm.
- 2018 Tequila, Taco, & Cerveza Fest | Saturday, November 10 – The first Tequila, Taco, & Cerveza Fest will feature 40+ tequilas, tacos from the city’s favorite food trucks and vendors, plenty of cold cerveza, plus live Lucha Libre and mariachi entertainment. Tickets are $30 for general admission and include 10 samples of any tequila, a cup, a submission into the grand prize giveaway, all access entry, a mystery item. VIP tickets are $50 and including 10 tequila samples, a sampling cup, one taco plate from any food station, custom t-shirt, a submission into the grand prize giveaway, and one mystery item. Designated Driver tickets are $10 for entry only. 2pm to 6pm.
- 3rd Annual Big Bao Battle Food Competition at The Ballroom at Bayou Place | Wednesday, November 14 – The 3rd Annual Big Bao Battle chef cook-off brings together 12 local chefs, each of whom will throw down their own special version of a traditional Chinese steamed bao to win the People’s Choice award. The all-you-can-eat event is a charity fundraiser benefitting OCA-Greater Houston. Tickets are $35 for general admission; $100 for VIP. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- Houston Turkish Festival at Jones Plaza | Saturday, November 17 through Sunday, November 18 – The 26th Houston Turkish Festival features live music and dance performance, crafts and games, a grand bazaar, and a delectable lineup of traditional Turkish fare. Indulge in kebabs, falafel, baklava, and Turkish coffee all weekend long. Tickets are $8 online; $10 at the venue; free for children under 12. Times TBA.
- The Gr8 Taco Challenge at 8th Wonder Brewery | Sunday, November 18 – The 8th Wonder is inviting 20+ of Houston’s favorite restaurants and bars out to the brewery to battle it out for taco supremacy. The day will also feature tasty tunes by Heapin’ Helpin’ and assorted fruited Haterade on tap. A $40 ticket gets you a taco from each competitor, 3 beer tokens, access to the Michelada bar, and limited edition glassware. Noon to 3pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).