Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, October 17 to Sunday, October 21, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in October 2018
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Comedian Anjelah Johnson at Houston Improv | Thursday, October 18 to Sunday, October 21 – Bust a gut when stand-up comedian, actress, and internet sensation Anjelah Johnson plays multiple shows for her More of Me tour at Houston Improv. Tickets range from $40 to $60. Showtimes vary.
- Kevin Hart at Toyota Center | Friday, October 19 and Saturday, October 20 – Have a laugh when actor and comedian Kevin Hart brings his 2-night Irresponsible Tour to the Toyota Center. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats in TicketNetwork’s online resale market. 7pm both nights.
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
- OutSmart’s 2018 Gayest & Greatest Awards Reception – OutSmart presents its 22nd Annual Gayest & Greatest Readers’ Choice Awards Reception at JR’s Houston. There will be entertainment, complimentary hors d’oeuvres, and refreshing cocktails available for purchase. Cover charge at the door. 5pm to 8pm.
- Friends Fest at Market Street | No Cover – ’90s lovers unite for the Friends Fest, a Friends-themed festival filled with activities based on the show and the decade at Market Street in The Woodlands. 6pm.
- Bingo Night at Mellow Mushroom | No Cover – Enjoy drink specials, pizza, and prizes while playing a game of bingo at Mellow Mushroom. 7pm.
- 11th Annual Zest In The West at Chateau Crystale – Zest in the West, West Houston’s culinary event of the year, invites attendees to indulge in their zest for life at an event showcasing top West Houston restaurant, more than 150 world-class wines and craft beers, and live music. General admission tickets are $65; VIP options range from $125 to $200. 7pm to 10pm.
- Tamia in Concert at House of Blues – Hear songs like “So Into You” and “Officially Missing You” when R&B singer Tamia performs at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets range from $30 to $55. 7pm.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Stand against the demons, the forces of darkness, and of course, the vampires, and participate in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer trivia at Under the Radar Brewery. 7:30pm.
- You Killed It! Karaoke Contest at The West End – A Public House | No Cover – Compete in 3 rounds of singing with 10 contestants for the You Killed It! Karaoke Contest at The West End – A Public House. You must register to enter. 10:30pm.
Thursday, October 18, 2018
- 19th Street Third Thursdays Sip & Stroll | No Cover – Shop at the 19th Street Heights boutiques and enjoy complimentary cocktails in store plus monthly features during the Sip & Stroll event. 5pm to 9pm.
- Craft Social: Craft & Design at Houston Center for Contemporary Craft | No Cover – Join Houston Center for Contemporary Craft for their fall Craft Social to explore the blurred lines of craft and design, inspired by their current fall exhibitions, CraftTexas 2018 and After Memphis: Crafted Postmodern. 5:30pm to 8pm.
- Shooter Jennings at The Heights Theater – Hear the country and Southern rock sounds of singer-songwriter, Shooter Jennings, when he takes the stage at The Heights Theater. Tickets are $20 to $42. 8pm.
- 4U: A Symphonic Celebration of Prince at Smart Financial Centre – Honor the purple legend as 4U: A Symphonic Celebration of Prince presents the music of Prince like never before, with a full symphony orchestra. Tickets start at $34.50. 8pm.
- Bob Moses in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Catch a show from the Canadian electronic duo, Bob Moses at White Oak Music Hall. Masionair opens the show. Tickets start at $23.50. 8pm.
- K-Pop Halloween Night at Henke & Pillot – Put on your costume and head to Henke & Pillot Houston as DJ Hydeheart plays all your favorite K-Pop songs. Tickets are $10. 9pm.
Friday, October 19, 2018
- Night Market at Asia Society Texas Center | No Cover – Asia Society Texas Center’s popular, family-friendly Night Market returns for a fall evening, filled with activities, exhibitions, food trucks, local vendors, live music and more. 6pm to 10pm.
- Comedian Neal Brennan at House of Blues – Have a laugh when stand up comedian Neal Brennan comes to House of Blues in Downtown for his “Here We Go Tour”. Tickets start at $29. 6:30pm.
- Buxton at The Heights Theater – Three years since their last release, local musicians Buxton are celebrating the release of Stay Out Late. The Americana sounds fans are familiar with have begun to evolve along with the evocative songwriting of frontman Sergio Trevino. Tickets range from $18 to $256. 7pm.
- Monster Show XII at Insomnia Gallery | No Cover – Insomnia Gallery hosts the 12 Annual Monster Show, an art exhibition that features drawings of monsters by local artists. There will be beer and food trucks on site. 7pm to 11pm.
- MFAH Mixed Media – Dance the night away at a Brit-inspired bash that celebrates the museum’s Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits from Holbein to Warhol exhibition, with DJs, drinks, and an exclusive access to the exhibition. Tickets are $25 for nonmembers; $22 for members. 8pm to midnight.
- Shakin’ All Over: ’60s Dance Party at The Continental Club – Groove to ’60s surf rock, soul music, pop and more at the Halloween edition of Shakin’ All Over ’60s Dance Party. No cover for over 21. $5 for 18 and up. 9:30pm.
- 54 at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar – Boogie over to Prohibition Theatre and get down with Houston’s brightest stars, The Moonlight Dolls, for the party of your life. This one-hour show is followed by two hours of disco dancing. Tickets are $20, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10. 11pm.
Saturday, October 20, 2018
- East End Street Fest on Navigation Esplanade | FREE – Celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Houston’s historic East End with live music, art, food, and interactive fun at the annual East End Street Fest. Taking place on Navigation between S. Jensen and Delano, the family-friendly festival is free and open to the public, with food, beverage, and merchant items available for purchase. Noon to 10pm.
- Houston Sports Pub Crawl in Downtown – Make your way through 10 participating bars in Downtown for the Houston Sports Pub Crawl. There will be free swag, drink specials and more. Check in will be at Dean’s Downtown. Tickets are $20. 3pm to 9pm.
- Houston Halloween Fest in The Heights – Make your way to 19th Street in the Heights for the Houston Halloween Fest featuring live music from the Spazmatics, a beer garden, artist and business vendors, food trucks, and a kids zone. Tickets are $10. 5pm to 10pm.
- Adult Craft Night: DIY Neon Signs at The Montrose Studios – Learn how to create a customized neon sign with step by step instructions at this Adult Craft Night at The Montrose Studios. All materials and supplies will be provided. Tickets are $40. 6pm to 9pm.
- Neon Garden 1 Year Anniversary at Axelrad | No Cover – Celebrate Axelrad’s concert series, Neon Garden, turning one with performances from Watch the Duck, Ghost Data, Tee Vee and many more. 7:30pm.
- Patton Oswalt at Revention Music Center – Have a good laugh when comedian, actor, and writer, Patton Oswalt stops by to perform at the Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $39. 8pm.
- Yeah, Houston Parties at Fox Hollow – Dance the night away with a diverse group of DJs playing hip-hop, trap, tropical bass, Latin music and more at Fox Hollow. Free before 11pm with RSVP. 9pm.
- The Late Show: Bathtub Full of Gin at Prohibition Supperclub – Step into the Roaring ’20s, when skirts were short and booze was a secret pleasure. Bathtub Full of Gin is Terrible Enfant Theatre Company’s immersive dance party series, where evocative theatre performances combine with high energy electro swing music. Tickets are $20 for standing; $35 for seated, but limited, discounted $10 standing tickets are available for most shows. 11pm.
Sunday, October 21, 2018
- Wavves at Satellite Bar – The San Diego-based indie rock band, Wavves, takes the stage at Satellite Bar with openers A Giant Dog and Brother Sports. Tickets start at $20. 5pm.
- Velvet Punch in Concert at Northshore Park | FREE – Bring your lawn chairs and picnic baskets and enjoy an evening of free, live music from the R&B group, Velvet Punch at Northshore Park. 5:30pm.
- Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Hear songs like “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” and “Walk Like a Man” when the acclaimed singers, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons play at the Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land. Tickets start at $65. 7pm.
- Platform Disco Sunday Night Fever at The Flat | No Cover – The Flat hosts a Sunday night with a collective of DJs playing rare cuts, b-sides and new edits of disco, funk, boogie, underground, and classic house. 9pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).