With a labyrinth of cultures represented in every nook and cranny of town, Houston is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America. To celebrate this world-class melting pot, we’ll be exploring a new region of the globe through a Houston lens each week, from annual festivals and museums to restaurants and cultural experiences. Join the journey with our Around the World in Houston series.
From clubs celebrating Dutch culture and annual Rijsttafel dinners to shops offering Gouda, bitterballen, stroopwafels and more, here’s how to experience a taste of the Netherlands in Houston.
Museums & Cultural Organizations
- Netherland-America Foundation – The Houston chapter of the NAF organizes social, cultural, and business events, bringing together the local Dutch community and those who feel an affinity with the Netherlands in the Houston area.
Holland Club of Houston – This local organization brings together the Dutch community in Houston, preserving the customs of the Netherlands and hosting events like an annual Rijsttafel dinner.
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – The European Art collection gathers everything from 17th-century Dutch and Flemish works to Italian Renaissance and Baroque paintings.
Dutch Food & Drink
- Little Dutch Girl – Head over to Spring and you’ll find this quaint gift shop and specialty grocer, offering Dutch specialties from bitterballen, hagelslag, and imported aged Gouda to Stroopwafels, homemade fudge, and over 40 kinds of licorice. The store also carries wooden shoes, holiday items, ceramic tiles, figurines and more.
- Houston Dairymaids – Cheese is an important part of Dutch cuisine, and the Houston Dairymaids offer one of the best selections in town. Though it’s known for focusing on Texan and American cheesemakers, you’ll find a variety of imports. Stop by for tastings, build cheese trays, and shop for gifts.
Language Classes, Education Centers, Groups & Meet-Ups
- Berlitz – This learning center offers flexible programs for adults and children, with languages including Dutch to Pashto.
- Dutch in Houston – Connect with Dutch people living in Houston through this informal community group, which shares happenings, initiatives and more.