Make the most of your week with our top 16 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, September 17 to Sunday, September 23, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in September 2018
Get pumped for the last season of Game of Thrones; shop local produce at Washington Ave’s newest farmers market; party it up, Caribbean-style, to raise funds for animals in need; cheer on the Texans in their first home game of the season, kick off Karbach Brewing’s annual beer festival; catch a concert by indie rockers Yo La Tengo and more.
Top 16 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience at Toyota Center | Monday, September 17 – Immerse yourself in the haunting scores from HBO’s cult favorite, Game of Thrones, during the live concert experience at Toyota Center in Downtown. With new music and footage from the seventh season, composer Ramin Djawadi will lead a talented orchestra and choir through a stunning performance paired with visuals from the show. Tickets start at $39.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7pm.
- The Ultimate Tailgate Party at Your Pie | Tuesday, September 18 – Football fans unite for The Ultimate Tailgate Party, an exclusive fan experience featuring the Texans’ own starting nose tackle, D.J. Reader at Your Pie in Downtown. Mingle with D.J. in an intimate setting as he signs autographs and pint glasses and enjoy raffles and a “10 pizza with a pint of Saint Arnold’s beer. $25. 7pm to 9pm.
- Come to the Table at The Beacon | Thursday, September 20 – Dine in style and contribute to a good cause, as celebrated Houston chefs Kathy Elkins, Anita Jaisinghani, and Ryan Lachaine prepare a four-course meal preceded by a garden party reception. Come to the Table proceeds benefit The Beacon and its programs that serve Houston’s homeless community. Tickets start at $500. 6pm.
- Karbachtoberfest at Karbach Brewing | Thursday, September 20 through Sunday, October 7 – Gulp down Karbach brews, listen to live music from local musicians, and embrace the spirit of Karbachtoberfest throughout the brewery’s three-week celebration. This weekend’s musical acts include Two Tons of Steel, Los Skarnales, and Misterwives. Times vary.
- Friday Market at FM Kitchen and Bar | Friday, September 21 | No Cover – Discover your new favorite source of local art, jewelry, beauty products, and produce in this daytime market at FM Kitchen and Bar. 11am to 2pm.
- 2018 Houston Armenian Festival | Friday, September 21 to Sunday, September 23 –Discover and celebrate Armenian culture through food, fashion, music, and entertainment at the 2018 Houston Armenian Festival in the Armenian Church of St. Kevork. Tickets are $3 and children under 12 get in free. Times vary.
- The History of Cremation at the National Museum of Funeral History | Friday, September 21 to Sunday, September 23 – Journey through time and learn how The History of Cremation unfolded at a new permanent exhibit now on display at the National Museum of Funeral History in North Houston. $10 for ages 12+; $9 for ages 65+ and veterans; $7 for ages 6 to 11; free for ages 5 and under. Friday 10am to 4pm; 10am to 5pm on Saturday; noon to 5pm on Sunday.
- Opera in the Heights presents La Fille Du Régiment at Lambert Hall | Friday, September 21 and Sunday, September 23 – Donizetti’s comedic, French masterpiece (Daughter of the Regiment in English) comes to life on stage in this local production about a military brat, her aristocratic heritage, and her hilarious trials of love. Tickets start at $40.50, with discounts available for ages 16 and under, 65 and up, and full-time students. Showtimes vary.
- Texas Hot Sauce Festival at Bayou City Event Center | Saturday, September 22 – Spice up your Saturday at the Texas Hot Sauce Festival in the Bayou City Event Center. If you can handle the heat, sample hundreds of hot sauces, salsas, dips, spices, marinades, wing sauces, and jams while shopping festival merchandise and enjoying live music throughout the day. $10. 11am to 6pm.
- Woodforest Craft Fest in Montgomery | Saturday, September 22 | No Cover – Taste craft beer from 20 local and regional breweries, including Saint Arnold, 8th Wonder, and Karbach, throughout Woodforest Craft Fest in Montgomery. Along with free beer samples, the festival will offer children’s activities, food trucks, live music, and full-sized beer and margaritas for purchase. Noon to 6pm.
- Whiskies of the World at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, September 22 – Take part in one of the largest whiskey tastings in the nation as enthusiasts flock to Silver Street Studios for the Whiskies of the World Expo. At the event, you can taste a curated collection of scotch, bourbon, Irish, Japanese, and other international whiskeys; attend seminars; hear from whiskey makers and ambassadors; and indulge in both food and cigar pairings. Tickets start at $120. 5pm to 9pm.
- PAWS Gala: Cruisin’ the Paw-ribbean at Galveston Island Convention Center | Saturday, September 22 – Enjoy an evening of dinner, drinks, and dancing at the annual PAWS Gala, which benefits the Galveston Humane Society. Guests can choose to dress up in themed, Caribbean clothing for the cocktail reception, seated dinner, entertainment, and auctions. Tickets start at $175. 6:30pm to 11pm.
- Yo La Tengo in Concert at White Oak Music Hall | Saturday, September 22 – Catch a concert by the band who spurred the indie rock movement, Yo La Tengo, when they tour in support of their fifteenth studio album, There’s a Riot Going On. Tickets start at $22. 8pm.
- Houston Jerk Fest at India House | Sunday, September 23 – Embrace Caribbean culture through traditional food and music at the Houston Jerk Fest in India House. The fest boasts a jerk cook-off competition, music from Grammy-nominated artist Mr. Vegas, food and drink vendors, a kids zone, and other family-friendly activities. Tickets start at $20. 2pm to 10pm.
- Houston Texans vs. New York Giants at NRG Stadium | Sunday, September 23 – Prepare to tailgate and cheer on the Houston Texans when they play the New York Giants in their first home game of the season at NRG. Tickets start at $71, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Noon.
- Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Angels at Minute Maid Park | Sunday, September 23 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Los Angeles Angels in their final home game of the regular season, as well as Fan Appreciation Day, at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $16, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 8pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).