Make the most of your week with our top 15 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, September 10 to Sunday, September 16, 2018.
Happening This Week
Also in September 2018
Cheer loud for the Dynamo; compete in a heated Fortnight tournament; take a seat for the beloved American musical, Oklahoma!; cure your munchies with tons of barbecue, tacos, or German bratwursts; check out Washington Ave’s newest farmers market and more.
Top 15 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Oklahoma! at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Starts Tuesday, September 11 – Kick off TUTS’ 50th anniversary season while celebrating the 75th anniversary of Oklahoma! at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Together with the Houston Ballet, TUTS brings the Roger and Hammerstein classic to life through show-stopping dancing, acting, and musical numbers. Tickets start at $30. Showtimes vary.
- Around the World in 80 Days at The George Theatre | Starts Wednesday, September 12 – Marvel at five actors who transform into 39 different characters—think stampeding elephants, raging typhoons, and runaway trains—in a classic story of adventure, Around the World in 80 Days. Tickets start at $15. Showtimes vary.
- Chefs & Brewers Dinner at The Dunlavy | Thursday, September 13 – Come hungry for this four-course meal prepared by the chefs at The Dunlavy and accompanied by craft beer from Buffalo Bayou Brewery. $75. 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Friday Market at FM Kitchen and Bar | Friday, September 14 | No Cover – Discover your new favorite source of local art, jewelry, beauty products, and produce in this daytime market at FM Kitchen and Bar. 11am to 2pm.
- Al Di Meola at The Heights Theater | Friday, September 14 – Hear guitarist Al Di Meola blend world music with jazz during a concert at the historic Heights Theater. With a career spanning more than 40 years, Meola is promoting his 2017 album, Opus (Ear Music,) with this intimate show. Tickets start at $34. 8pm to 10pm.
- Fandemic Houston 2018 at NRG Center | Friday, September 14 to Sunday, September 16 – See and hear from your favorite TV stars at Fandemic Houston 2018, the newest comic con to stop in the Bayou City. Celebrity guests include Norman Reedus, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Steven Yeun from The Walking Dead, as well as Bruce Campbell, Paige, and Milo Ventimiglia of TV fame. Times vary.
- Duck Soup Softball Tournament at Memorial Park | Saturday, September 15 – Gather your teammates and batter up as Sportsmonkey presents its first Duck Soup Softball Tournament in Memorial Park. With complimentary Bud Light beer, players are encouraged to dress up in duck costumes and get quacky for this light-hearted tournament. Tickets start at $275. 9am.
- The Woodlands Oktoberfest at Town Green Park | Saturday, September 15 – Clink pints (or steins) of German beer, then chow down on bratwurst, pretzels, strudel, and sauerkraut at The Woodlands Oktoberfest in Town Green Park. Tickets range from $5 to $65, not including ticket fees. 11am to 11pm.
- Texas Taco Music Fest at Discovery Green | Saturday, September 15 – Stuff your face with delicious tacos and margaritas all day long at Texas Taco Mania in Discovery Green. Formerly the Texas Taco Music Fest, the unique celebration promotes Latin culture with a taco throw-down, cooking demonstrations, craft booths, and plenty of Mexican food. Tickets start at $15. Limited comped (you only pay the ticketing fee) and discounted $7.50 tickets are available. Noon to 9pm.
- Connect with Art Saturday at the Silos at Sawyer Yards | Saturday, September 15 | FREE – Artists from the Houston Art Connective open their studios and invite everyone to tour their diverse and contemporary spaces. The artwork presented represent a wide range of media and styles. Visitors will have the opportunity to speak with and to collect works from local artists for their homes, offices, and other spaces. Noon to 5pm.
- Houston Dynamo vs. Portland Timbers at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, September 15 – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play the Portland Timbers in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets range from $29 to over $100, but you may find better or cheaper seats on the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Hannibal Buress at Revention Music Center | Saturday, September 15 – Bust a gut when comedian, actor, and writer, Hannibal Buress takes the stage at Revention Music Center. Known for his role on Comedy Central’s Broad City, his appearances on The Eric Andre Show, and his podcast Handsome Ramble, the Chicago-native comes to Houston for a night of laughs. Tickets start at $39. 8pm.
- Beyoncé & Jay-Z at NRG Stadium | Saturday, September 15 and Sunday, September 16 – Bow down to the ultimate power couple that is Beyoncé and Jay-Z as they join forces for the On The Run II tour in the Queen Bey’s hometown. The duo will perform songs from their joint album, Everything is Love. Tickets start at $79, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online market. 8:30pm.
- Houston BBQ Throwdown at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, September 16 – Roll up your sleeves for the fourth annual Houston BBQ Throwdown at Saint Arnold Brewery, where you can munch on a variety of smoked meats from the city’s top pitmasters. Participating restaurants include the 2017 Judge’s Choice co-winners Beaver’s Westheimer and El Burro & the Bull, as well as Blood Bros. BBQ, Buck’s Barbeque Co, Feges BBQ, Harlem Road Texas BBQ, The Pit Room, Tejas Chocolate + Barbecue, and Victorian’s Barbecue. Tickets start at $65. 1pm to 4pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).