With a labyrinth of cultures represented in every nook and cranny of town, Houston is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America. To celebrate this world-class melting pot, we’ll be exploring a new region of the globe through a Houston lens each week, from annual festivals and museums to restaurants and cultural experiences. Join the journey with our Around the World in Houston series.
Indulge in authentic moules frites and Liege-style waffles, join in on fun Belgian meetups and social events, sip brews imported straight from the motherland, and enjoy a taste of Belgium in Houston.
Museums & Arts
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – Peruse the European art collection, including the works of Belgian artists.
Belgian Food & Drink
- Cafe Brussels – You’ll find authentic Belgian food and beer alongside some locally inspired eats at this First Ward Belgian spot. Dig into a lineup of moules (mussels), soaked in flavors like white wine, garlic, cream curry and cognac, and served alongside crisp Belgian frites and homemade mayo. Other highlights include Salade Liégeoise, a warm salad with potatoes, poached egg, green beans and bacon; Les Carbonades à la Flamande, a traditional Flemish beef stew cooked in beer; and La Filet Américain, steak tartar with Belgian fries and salad.
- Chocolate du Monde – This chocolates and candy shop carries fine Belgian chocolates, including Neuhaus truffles and praline bars, Leonidas chocolates filled with fresh butter, fresh cream, and hazelnuts.
- Doux Café – You’ll find fresh waffles made with Biscoff cookie butter and Beglian chocolate at this Dairy Ashford café and sweet shops
- Eadough Waffles – Made on an iron imported from Belgium and with yeast from France, these classic Liege waffles get topped with everything from freshed strawberries and whipped cream to cookie butter and chocolate sauce. Find the waffle masters popping up at spots like Discovery Green, 8th Wonder Brewery, Axelrad Beer Garden, Cavo Coffee and more.
- The Ginger Man – This local brewpub carries Belglian draughts and bottles, inlcuding Bavik Premium Pilsner, Chimay Blue and Red, Blanche de Bruxelles, and Kasteel Rouge.
- The Hay Merchant – Sip Belgian and Belgian-style beers at this Montrose beer bastion, from goldens and IPAs to tripels and blonde ales.
- Toulouse Café & Bar – This Parisienne-style River Oaks District café offers French-influenced Belgian cuisine, including both moules and steak frites.
Language Classes, Clubs & Meet-Ups
- Belgian Club of Greater Houston – This local community board brings together Belgians in the Greater Houston area for club events, links, or tips and tricks. Connect on Facebook and look out for a lineup of monthly social meetups, soccer viewing parties, theater nights, wine, beer and food events/tastings, cooking classes and more.
- Berlitz Language Center – This learning center offers flexible programs for adults and children, including Dutch, Flemish, French, and German language lessons.
- Language meetups – Practice your French and German with fellow speakers at the The Houston French Language and Culture Meetup and Houston German Language Meetup.
- BBVA Compass Stadium – Football fans can get their fix at this EaDo soccer stadium, home to both the Houston Dynamo and the Houston Dash.