While Houstonians definitely love their cars, there are nooks and crannies of the city that are best explored by foot. In our Walkable Houston series, we traverse those districts to find the prettiest parks, hottest restaurants and bars, coolest local art and shops, and most visit-worthy hidden gems.
With quaint shops and art galleries, historic theaters and eats from enchiladas to bar pies, Historic Downtown Conroe makes the perfect spot for an afternoon stroll.
Play & Explore
- Conroe Art League – Take a tour of Conroe Art Gallery at the Historic Madeley Building Madeley Building, home to the Conroe Art League. Guided group tours of the gallery are available, and you’ll find many paintings, prints, photographs, greeting cards, and jewelry for sale. The league also offers classes and workshops, and hosts a roster of special events, from artist receptions to trunk shows.
- Crighton Theatre – Built in 1934, this beautiful historic theater is the home base for performances offered by Stage-Right Productions, Montgomery County Performing Arts Society, Sounds of Texas Music Series and Christian Youth Theatre.
- Owen Theatre – Home to The Players Theatre Company, the 250-seat Owen Theatre offering live theatrical performances, special events, musicals, and concerts throughout the year.
- Isaac Conroe Farmer’s Market – Every First Thursday of the month, this pop-up farmers market offers things like fresh fruits, vegetables, local honey, fresh sauces and salsa, tamales, eggs, handcrafted jewelry and decor, homemade snacks and desserts, and more. Stop by every first Thursday of the month from 4pm to 8pm at Heritage Park.
- Special events – Follow along for a lineup of special events, from free concert series and art experiences to movies and family events.
Eat & Drink
- Carmelita’s Restaurant – Dig into migas, burritos, enchiladas and more at this Mexican restaurant, which sits on West Davis.
- Conroe Coffee – Linger over café au laits, breakfast tacos, and iced Nutellla lattes at this Main St. coffee shop.
- The Corner Pub & Deli – Sip suds and catch live music, poetry readings, art displays and more at this local hangout. The Corner Pub Deli is open Monday through Friday for lunch until late night, offering eats like French dips, spinach salads, and club sandwiches.
- Flour-ish – Gather with friends and enjoy yogurt parfaits, daily quiche, farro bowls, roast steak banh mi, and Boston bibb salads at this North Thompson breakfast and lunch spot.
- The Red Brick Tavern – This lively tavern rocks craft beer and cocktails alongside upscale comfort food—think bacon-fried Gulf oysters, tenderloin sliders and pizza, crawfish fettuccine and double cut pork chop. Brunch is offered on Sundays until 2pm.
- Red Onion on the Square – This family-owned catering company and restaurant is open for weekday breakfast and lunch, offering mains from smothered burgers to daily specials like Southern meatloaf, tacos, and barbecue.
- Pacific Yard House – Rocking live music and an outdoor patio, this bar and restaurant makes for a fun destination. Nosh on eats like loaded fries, bbq chicken salad, Southern fried steak, and spicy shrimp pasta.
- Villa Italia – Get Italian classics from lasagna to veal parm to snapper francese and tiramisu this hidden gem.
Shop & Support Local
- Assistance League Thrift Shop – This nonprofit organization operates as a thrift shop, with all money benefiting those in need in Montgomery County.
- Branding Iron Custom Goods – Get high-quality American-made goods, from soaps and beard oil to clothing and leather bags, plus graphic design, screen printing, and embroidery at this custom boutique.
- Brownlee Jewelers – This local jeweler has been offering expert jewelry and watch repair since 1932. Stop by to find beautiful jewelry and watches, with design and engraving available.
- Conroe Central Market – Go antiquing at this eclectic market, which offers a massive collection of massive collection art, furniture, vintage clothing, gifts, jewelry, and collectibles. And look out for a lineup of special events, from first Saturdays to Christmas celebrations.
- Cowtown Couture – Shop for stylish fashions at this Main St. women’s boutique.
- Homestead House Furniture – Homestead House offers a selection of living room, bedroom, dining room and home office furniture, as well as mattresses, bedding, draperies, rugs, fine art, and accessories.
- Mimi’s on Main – Stop by this antique store and gift store to shop for eclectic and unique finds.