Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, May 23 to Sunday, May 27, 2018.
Also in May 2018
Happening This Week
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
- Underoath in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Emo rock band Underoath takes the stage at White Oak Music Hall with openers Dance Gavin Dance. Tickets start at $29.75. 5pm.
- Jazz Wednesdays at Axelrad | No Cover – Axelrad hosts Jazz Wednesdays every week with a dynamic rotation of local jazz musicians at their beer garden. 6pm.
- Spring Sitcom Trivia Series at Your Pie in Downtown | No Cover – Show off your knowledge from your favorite laugh track tv shows as Your Pie in Downtown hosts their Spring Sitcom Trivia series. Featuring hilarious shows like The Office, Big Bang Theory, Parks & Recreation and Friends, the winning teams can win weekly gift certificates. At the end of the 8-week series, each member of the team with the most points will win a pizza a week for one year. Player combos are $12.99 and include unlimited topping “Build-Your-Own” pizza and a pint of beer or glass of House Cab or Chardonnay. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Gilmore Girls Trivia at Under the Radar | No Cover – Show off what you know about the Gilmore mother-daughter duo for the Gilmore Girls trivia night at Under the Radar. 7:30pm to 10pm.
- Wednesday Trivia at Jive Bar & Lounge| No Cover – Jive Bar & Lounge in Spring hosts a trivia night filled with general knowledge and pop cultures questions. 8pm.
- Bingo Night at Cactus Cove | No Cover – The Cactus Cove Bar & Grill hosts a fun night of bingo and booze every Wednesday. 8pm to 11pm.
Thursday, May 24, 2018
- Happy Hour Thursdays at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | No Cover – Bring your friends to a museum-style happy hour and enjoy the exhibitions, bites from food trucks, and specialty cocktails at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Drinks will be for sale by credit card at the bar. 5pm to 8pm.
- Loteria & Steak Night at Spring Street Beer & Wine Garden | No Cover – Play Loteria, also known as Mexican Bingo, and indulge in a delicious steak, ahi tuna steak, or portobello steak at Spring Street Beer & Wine Garden. Prizes will be awarded to winners. 5pm to 10pm.
- Marcia Ball in Concert at Discovery Green | No Cover – Local musician Marcia Ball headlines this family-friendly concert with openers The Mighty Orq at Discovery Green park. 7pm to 9pm.
- Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – One of classic rock’s most innovative groups, Steely Dan drops into Sugar Land along with ’70s-era Doobie Brothers for a night of classic hits and nostalgic riffs. Tickets start at $69.50, but you may find better or cheaper seats using the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Thursday Night Dart Tourney at Rudyard’s British Pub – Every Thursday, the Houston Darts Association and Rudyard’s hosts a Blind Draw Doubles tournament where you can play for cash prizes. Entry fees will be determined at the start of the tournament, but they are generally $7. 8pm.
- Thursday Pop-Up with Chef Ryan Hildebrand at Glitter Karaoke – Glitter Karaoke hosts a pop-up with special guest Chef Ryan Hildebrand of FM Kitchen and Bar. You must RSVP for this event. 8pm.
- Houston Beer Trivia at Drink of Ages Pub | No Cover – Test your knowledge of the history, names, and styles of beer from local breweries at Drink of Ages Pub. 8pm to 10pm.
- LeAnn Rimes in Concert at Arena Theatre – Country and pop singer LeAnn Rimes comes to town for her Love is Love Tour at Arena Theatre. Tickets start at $39.50. 8:30pm.
- Thursday Karaoke at JR’s Houston | No Cover – Sing out to your favorite songs as the LGBT-friendly nightclub, JR’s host their Thursday Karaoke Night. 9pm.
Friday, May 25, 2018
- Fourth Friday Night Market in the East End | No Cover – Fourth Friday Night Market is a monthly outdoor small business event featuring the works of dozens of visual artists and craft vendors. Located in the Historic East End, the market showcases paintings, sculpture, photography, jewelry, and handcrafted items. 6pm.
- TGIF Happy Hour with DJ AD at The Flat | No Cover – Head to The Flat for throwback hip-hop with DJ AD, half-off pizza, and drink specials for happy hour. 6pm.
- Exhibitions Opening at Lawndale Art Center | No Cover – Check out the opening art exhibitions In Real Life: 2018 Artist Studio Program Exhibition, Routine Fables, and ttweak: ttwenty at Lawndale Art Center. 6pm to 8pm.
- Strangelove: The Depeche Mode Experience in Concert at Warehouse Live – See the band Strangelove pay tribute to the legendary synth wave band, Depeche Mode at Warehouse Live. Tickets are $14 in advance; $17 day of the show. 7pm to 10pm.
- Reverend Horton Heat in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Watch the Texas-based psychobilly trio Reverend Horton Heat with openers The Flamin’ Hellcats at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $5. 7pm.
- Kawaii Art Show & Market at Insomnia Gallery | No Cover – Enjoy an art show featuring local artists, makers, and creatives presenting all things kawaii and cute at Insomnia Gallery. There will be art, music, drinks, and a market. 7pm to 11pm.
- Joke Riot Comedy Show at The Secret Group – Rich Williams hosts the Joke Riot Comedy Show featuring stand up comedians Tressa Eleby, Nick Bermea, and Mike Rao at The Secret Group. Tickets range from $20 to $40. 7pm to 10pm.
- Radney Foster in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Country-rock singer-songwriter Radney Foster hits the stage at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. Tickets are $35 in advance; $40 at the door. 7pm.
- Okkervil River with Special Guest Matt the Electrician in Concert at The Heights Theater – The Austin-based rock band Okkervil River, led by singer-songwriter Will Sheff, returns to Houston to play old hits and new tracks from their recently released album In The Rainbow Rain. Tickets are $20. Doors at 7pm; show at 8pm.
- Iceage at Rockefellers Houston – Danish punk rock band Iceage take the stage at Rockefellers Houston with openers Temple of Angels. Tickets range from $13 to $15. 8pm.
Saturday, May 26, 2018
- Lauryn Hill Night Light Vibe at 3rd Ward Tours – Cruise through the city streets while vibing to the album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill with 3rd Ward Tours. Tickets range from $11 to $22. 7pm to 9pm.
- Lit AF Tour at NRG Arena – Laugh out loud when some of the biggest names in comedy perform at the Lit AF Tour at NRG Arena. Headliner Martin Lawrence joins fellow comedians Rickey Smiley, Jay Pharoah, Deon Cole, and Benji Brown for a hilarious show. Tickets start at $55. 7:30pm.
- Soul Session Saturdays at MKT Bar | No Cover – Join DJ Tempty as he spins nothing but ’60s and ’70s soul, Motown, funk, and disco, every Saturday evening at MKT Bar in Downtown. 8pm.
- Classic Numbers Salute to 1986 at Numbers Nightclub – Numbers Nightclub pays tribute to the dance music that came out in 1986, including New Order’s Brotherhood. Cover charge at the door. 8pm.
- Ruby Revue Burlesque Show at House of Blues – Experience a live variety show featuring award-winning burlesque tease with the Ruby Revue Burlesque Show at House of Blues. Tickets start at $27. 8pm.
- Brown Sugar with DJs Gracie Chavez at House of Blues | No Cover – Indulge in some R&B remixes with DJ Gracie Chavez and special guests at the Foundation Room at House of Blues. 10pm.
- The Late Show: Bathtub Full of Gin at Prohibition Supperclub – Step into the Roaring ’20s, when skirts were short and booze was a secret pleasure. Bathtub Full of Gin is Terrible Enfant’s Theatre Company’s new spectacular immersive dance party series, where evocative theatre performances combine with high energy electro swing music. Tickets are $20 for standing; $35 for seated, but limited, discounted $10 standing tickets are available for most shows. 11:30pm.
- Midnight Madness: Jawbreaker at River Oaks Theatre – See a midnight screening of the edgy and unpredictable teen comedy, Jawbreaker at River Oaks Theatre. Tickets are $11. Midnight.
Sunday, May 27, 2018
- Free Play Sundays & All Day Happy Hour at Conservatory – Head to Conservatory in Downtown to play some free arcade games and enjoy a happy hour on over 60 selections of beer, wine, and whiskeys in their beer garden. 11am to 10pm.
- Swing Rendezvous at MKT Bar – Enjoy this Gypsy Jazz lunch featuring tunes you can dance to by Swing Rendezvous at MKT Bar in Downtown. Menu items sold a la carte. Noon to 3pm.
- Karbach Art Market at Karbach Brewing Co. | No Cover – Shop from local vendors, makers, and vintage curators while enjoying live music and drinks at Karbach Brewing Co. 1pm to 7pm.
- Light of the Phoenix Charity Crawfish Boil at The Phoenix on Westheimer – Feast at the family-friendly Light of the Phoenix Charity Crawfish Boil at The Phoenix on Westheimer. The festival will feature a waterslide and bounce house, snow cones, corn hole games and more. Tickets are $25 in advance; $30 at the door. Noon to 6pm.
- DJ Sam Feldt at Clé Houston – Catch a set from DJ Sam Feldt when the Clé Houston lounge host their Summer Sessions pool party. Tickets are $10. 2pm to 8pm.
- 6 Year Anniversary at Mongoose Versus Cobra | No Cover – Mongoose Versus Cobra celebrates 6 years with drink specials, entertainment by Doomsday Wrestling, live music, BBQ, raffles and more. There is no cover, but food and drinks are on you. 2pm to 2am.
- Jake Paul in Concert at Revention Music Center – Catch up-and-coming actor and YouTube star Jake Paul when he performs a show alongside Take 10 at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $20. 6pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).