With a labyrinth of cultures represented in every nook and cranny of town, Houston is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America. To celebrate this world-class melting pot, we’ll be exploring a new region of the globe through a Houston lens each week, from annual festivals and museums to restaurants and cultural experiences. Join the journey with our Around the World in Houston series.
With local meetups, football, cricket and rugby clubs, and eateries offering everything from high tea to fish & chips, here’s how to discover the cultures of the United Kingdom in Houston.
Annual Festivals & Cultural Events
- DBE Annual British Festival – Put on by the Daughters of the British Emire, this annual festival celebrates British traditions with classic holiday fare, family entertainment, a tea room, pub, coffee corner and more. The 2018 festival is set for Saturday, November 3 in Sugar Land.
Museums & Cultural Organizations
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – The European Art collection at this Museum District gem boasts paintings and sculpture from the 13th to early 20th century.
- DBE in Texas – The Daughters of the British Empire is a non-profit, non-political, non-sectarian, voluntary organization of women who meet regularly for business and social events with the common cause of philanthropy (look out for events in the Houston area). The group supports Mountbatten House, the “British Home” in Highlands, TX.
- Houston Highland Games Association – This local nonprofit has been fostering interests in the culture and heritage of Scotland for over 38 years.
Food & Drink
- Bayview Duck – Head to this Bayview haunt for a British pub bar experience complete with fish & chips, Yorkshire pudding, and chip butty (french fry) sandwiches.
- British Isles – This import shop offers a selection of British goods and traditional eats, from biscuits, cakes, teas and crisps to black pudding, pastys, and curries.
- The Black Labrador – Serving the Houston area for over 30 years, this Montrose pub and restaurant offers authentic English fare, from bangers & mash to shepherd’s pie. Pair your eats with a pint or cup of tea.
- The Bull & Bear Tavern & Eatery – Cottage pie, liver & onions, beans on toast, Cornish pastie and chicken curry are all on the menu at this westside tavern.
- Kelvin Arms Pub – Located near Rice Village, Houston’s only Scottish pub offers a cozy atmosphere (complete a cool-looking vaulted room) alongside a fine selection of draft beers and scotch.
- King’s Court Bar and Kitchen – A popular soccer and rugby watching spot, this EaDo bar and kitchen offers dishes from butter chicken and paneer tikka shepherd’s pie and traditional English breakfast plates. Hit the rooftop patio for views of the Downtown skyline.
- The King’s Head Pub – Over in the Energy Corridor, King’s Head features a dog-friendly patio, indoor stone fireplace, and classic pub fare. Nosh on sausage rolls, ploughman’s platters, and scotch eggs.
- London Sizzler – A British pub and Indian restaurant hybrid, London Sizzler draws fans thanks to flavor-packed dishes like chicken tikka masala, lamb vindaloo, and goat curry.
- McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Ploughman’s lunch, Welsh rarebit, Scotch eggs, shepherd’s pie, and fish & chips are all on the menu at this lively Irish pub and music venue.
- McHugh Tea Room – Enjoy an Afternoon Tea service as this tea room (you’ll need to make reservations in advance). Guests can choose from bottomless flights served with three flavors of delicious tea sandwiches, three flavors of delicate desserts and two flavors of scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.
- The Phoenix on Westheimer – Hit this Neartown watering hole for cheap pints, fish & chips, and sausage rolls.
- The Queen Vic Pub & Kitchen – Head to this London-style gastropub for artisanal cocktails, craft pints, and chef-driven food, from tikka masala to wild boar bangers & mash.
- Red Lion Pub – This local favorite is as welcoming and cozy as it gets, offering plenty of booze and eats like English stilton sausage rolls, curried chicken wings, beer-battered fish & chips, and housemade English dumplings.
- Richmond Arms – Catch a football match at this laidback sports bar, which offers traditional eats like steak ‘n mushroom pie, bangers ‘n mash, and Cornish pastie.
- Rudyard’s British Pub – Hit this Montrose pub for a pint and hot plate, including sausage & mash, eggplant & chips and weekend roast.
- Tea + Victory – This board game café rocks vintage and new board games alongside brews, wines, coffees, loose-leaf teas, and English-inspired eats like cottage pie, pastys, and tea sandwiches. Pay $5 to play all day.
Classes, Education Centers, Groups & Meet-Ups
- British-American Business Council – This group builds UK and US business, cultural and educational ties via networking and educational events.
- Houston British & Irish Expat Meetup – Connect with British and Irish expats through this eclectic meetup group, which hosts monthly meetup lunches.
- The Woodlands British Ladies Club – This women’s organization promotes friendship and networking, offering a variety of group activities—think coffee meetups and holiday luncheons—throughout the year.
- Houston Red Army – Join fellow soccer lovers and fans of Manchester United with game watches and meetups around the city.
- Houston Athletic Rugby Club – Formed in 1998 by the merger of the Houston Hurricanes, Houston Rugby Football Club, and the Houston Old Boys Rugby Football Club, this club strives to promote rugby in the Houston area.
- Houston Cricket League –This cricket club was organized to further the sport of cricket in Houston and surrounding areas, with activities for both youth and adults.
- Royal Scottish Country Dance Society – This educational dance organization combines “Country Dance” with the energy of Scotland’s older “Strathspeys and Reels” style, offering a variety of events and classes.
- BBVA Compass Stadium – Football fans can get their fix at this EaDo soccer stadium, home to both the Houston Dynamo and the Houston Dash.
- Houston Brass Band – Formed in 2000, this traditional British-style brass band is made up of talented amateurs and professionals from the Greater Houston area. Look out for performances and events throughout the year.