Make the most of your week with our top 12 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, May 14 to Sunday, May 20, 2018.
Also in May 2018
Happening This Week
Sip fine whiskey with fellow enthusiasts, fill up on souvlaki at Houston Greek Fest, race through Houston Sports Park to support the fight against pancreatic cancer, sing along to Dave Matthews songs at his outdoor concert, cheer on the ‘stros, and more.
Top 12 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Houston Greek Fest at St. Basil The Great Greek Orthodox Church | Thursday, May 17 to Sunday, May 20 – Nosh on souvlaki, spanakopita, dolmas, and baklava while celebrating Greek culture during this annual festival at St. Basil The Great Greek Orthodox Church. Guests can tour the church, shop, and enjoy music and dancing throughout the weekend. Times vary.
- Kenny Chesney in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Thursday, May 17 – Kick back and listen to a slew of country tunes by the famed singer-songwriter, Kenny Chesney, when he performs in The Woodlands during his Trip Around the Sun tour. Tickets start at $32.50, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 7:30pm.
- Cruzar la Cara de la Luna at the HGO Resilience Theater at George R. Brown Convention Center | Thursday, May 17; Saturday, May 19; and Sunday, May 20 – Houston Grand Opera presents a bilingual production of Cruzar la Cara de la Luna (To Cross the Face of the Moon), a mariachi opera in Downtown. This moving immigration story chronicles the joys and struggles of three generations of a family divided between countries and cultures through the rich melodies of mariachi music. Tickets range from $15 to $155. Showtimes vary.
- Dave Matthews Band in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Friday, May 18 – Jam out to hit songs like “Crash Into Me” and “Ants Marching,” as well as new songs from their upcoming album when DMB performs an outdoor concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in the Woodlands. Tickets start at $45.50, but you may find better, cheaper, or hard-to-get seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 7pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Cleveland Indians at Minute Maid Park | Friday, May 18 to Sunday, May 20 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Indians in a home game at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $20, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Times vary.
- PurpleStride 5K at Houston Sports Park | Saturday, May 19 – Join the fight against pancreatic cancer by walking or running a 5K course at the PurpleStride fundraising event in Houston Sports Park. Registration starts at $30. 7am.
- 14th Annual Empty Bowls Houston at the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft | Saturday, May 19 – Have lunch at the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft to support the fight against hunger during the 14th Annual Empty Bowls Houston fundraiser. Each participant will receive a simple meal of bread and soup, along with a one-of-a-kind ceramic bowl donated by local artists. Minimum donation of $25. 11am to 3pm.
- 2018 Karbach Cookoff at Karbach Brewery | Saturday, May 19 – Listen to live music from Bob Schneider, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, and Hal Ketchum, while feasting on unlimited food tastings and sipping craft brews at the 2018 Karbach Cook-off at Karbach Brewery. Noon to 10:30pm.
- Bayou City Music Series featuring HSPVA Jazz Band at Buffalo Bayou | Saturday, May 19 | FREE – Kick back and enjoy a free, outdoor concert from the HSPVA Jazz Band as part of the Bayou City Music Series at Buffalo Bayou. The band features saxophonist Grady Gaines, who has recorded with icons like Little Richard and Sam Cooke, vocalist Trudy Lynn, and the 14-piece ThunderSoul Orchestra. 6:30pm to 9pm.
- Kendrick Lamar with Sza in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Saturday, May 19 – Experience an epic concert by Pulitzer Prize- and Grammy Award-winning rapper Kendrick Lamar, when he takes the stage alongside Schoolboy Q and SZA at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $44, but you may find hard-to-get, cheaper, or better seats using the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. 7pm.
- Houston Whiskey Festival 2018 | Saturday, May 19 – Sip and socialize among fellow whiskey enthusiasts at the Houston Whiskey Festival at Bayou Place. Attendees can partake in educational seminars, relax in the cigar lounge, listen to live music, nibble light bites, and request recommendations from popular distilleries. Tickets start at $65. 7pm to 10pm.
- Daddy Long Legs at Main Street Theater | Starts Saturday, May 19 – See a musical performance based on the treasured novel, Daddy Long Legs, at Main Street Theatre. The two-person show follows a classic “rags-to-riches” love story of a bright young woman and her mysterious benefactor. Tickets start at $10. Times vary.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).