Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during May 2018.
Also in May 2018
Happening This Week
With warmer weather comes plenty of outdoor festivals, concerts, and sporting events in Houston this May.
Shout “Opa!” during the Houston Greek Festival, root for the Dynamo when they take on LA Galaxy, grab a seat at one of several must-see concerts, including Kendrick Lamar, Justin Timberlake, and Smokey Robinson, sip fine spirits at the Houston Whiskey festival, and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this May.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of May.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: May 2018
- Broadway at the Hobby Center presents Hamilton: An American Musical National Tour | Through Sunday, May 20 – Quickly book your tickets for Lin Manuel Miranda’s epic Broadway musical, Hamilton, a Tony-winning performance that’s taken the country by storm since its debut in 2015. Based on Ron Chernow’s biography, Hamilton uses hip-hop, rap, jazz, blues and more to tell the story of American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. Tickets start at $175, but you may find tickets for sold out shows, or better seats, on TicketNetwork’s resale marketplace. Thursday 7:30pm; Friday 8pm; Saturday 2pm and 8pm; Sunday 2pm and 7:30pm.
- The Texas Taco, Tequila and Margarita Festival at Preservation Park | Saturday, May 5 – Scarf down tasty tacos and refreshing margaritas from local eateries, along with live music from Gio Chamba, Latin Paradise, and Mariachi Bands, at Preservation Park in Spring. Tickets start at $7. Noon to midnight.
- Houston Dynamo vs. LA Galaxy at BBVA Compass Stadium | Saturday, May 5 – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play the LA Galaxy in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $34, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm.
- Santo De Mayo 5K at Saint Arnold Brewing Company | Sunday, May 6 – Combine your love of beer and running at the annual Santo de Mayo 5K presented by University of Houston Downtown and Saint Arnold Brewery. Participants will enjoy a post-race fiesta and receive a commemorative pint glass, T-shirt, three tasty beers, a breakfast burrito, and a race bib. $50. 8:30am.
- Smokey Robinson in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Monday, May 7 – Don’t miss your chance to see Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and Motown legend, Smokey Robinson, when he stops for a show at Smart Financial Center. Tickets start at $69.50, but you may spot cheaper or better seats using the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. 8pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Portland Thorns FC at BBVA Compass Stadium | Wednesday, May 9 – Cheer on the Dash as they play the Portland Thorns FC in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $15. 7pm.
- Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom at The Ensemble Theatre | Starts Saturday, May 12 – Discover the story of legendary blues singer Ma Rainey in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom at The Ensemble Theatre. Written by August Wilson, this play shares the triumphs and struggles of Ma Rainey as she records an album while dealing with the exploitation of black recording artists by white producers. Tickets start at $30. 8pm.
- H-Town Festival of Laughs at NRG Arena | Saturday, May 12 – Crack up when comedian icons Sommore, Earthquake, Bruce Bruce, Arnez J, Don DC Curry, and George Wallace take the mic at H-Town Festival of Laughs in NRG Arena. Tickets start at $52. 8pm.
- Houston Greek Festival at St. Basil The Great Greek Orthodox Church | Thursday, May 17 through Sunday, May 20 – Nosh on souvlaki, spanakopita, dolmas, and baklava while celebrating Greek culture during this annual festival at St. Basil The Great Greek Orthodox Church. Guests can tour the church, shop, and enjoy music and dancing throughout the weekend. Thursday 4pm to 9pm; Friday and Saturday 11am to 10pm; Sunday noon to 5pm.
- Dave Matthews Band in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Friday, May 18 – Jam out to hit songs like “Crash Into Me” and “Ants Marching,” as well as new songs from their upcoming album, when DMB performs an outdoor concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $45.50. 7pm.
- Houston Whiskey Festival at Bayou Place | Saturday, May 19 – Sip and socialize among fellow whiskey enthusiasts at the Houston Whiskey Festival at Bayou Place. Attendees can enjoy educational seminars, a cigar lounge, live music, light bites, and recommendations from popular distilleries. 7pm to 10pm.
- 2018 Karbach Cookoff at Karbach Brewery | Saturday, May 19 – Listen to live music from Bob Schneider, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, and Hal Ketchum, while feasting on unlimited food tastings and sipping craft brews at the 2018 Karbach Cook-off at Karbach Brewery. Noon to 10:30pm.
- Kendrick Lamar, SZA, Schoolboy Q, and more in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Saturday, May 19 – Experience an epic concert by Pulitzer Prize- and Grammy Award-winning rapper Kendrick Lamar, when he take the stage alongside Schoolboy Q, and SZA at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $44, but you may find hard-to-get, cheaper, or better seats using the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. 7pm.
- Justin Timberlake in Concert at Toyota Center | Wednesday, May 23 and Friday, May 25 – Get down to top hits from legendary pop star Justin Timberlake as he makes his way to Toyota Center in support of his latest album, Man of the Woods, for a two-night stop. Tickets start at $49.50, but you may spot cheaper or better sets on the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:30pm.
- Houston Astros vs. Boston Red Sox at Minute Maid Park | Thursday, May 31 – Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Red Sox in a home game at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $20, but you may find cheaper or better seats on the TicketNetwork online marketplace. 7:10pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).