Mix and mingle, while immersing yourself in authentic Taiwanese food, games, and entertainment at Taiwan Yes Houston, also known as the Taiwan Festival, on Saturday, April 21, 2018.
Modeled after Taiwanese night markets and hosted by the Taiwanese Association of America – Houston Chapter, this Taiwan festival brings the flavors, entertainments, and culture of Taiwan to Houston for a free, all-day event.
Admission to the festival is free, and guests can purchase tickets to redeem for food, drinks, and games.
Sample delicious authentic Taiwanese fare prepared throughout the festival. Popular dishes offered include the following.
- Taiwanese hamburger (gua-bao) – steamed buns filled with pork belly, herbs, soy sauce, crushed peanut and cilantro
- Mini red bean wheel pies – thin, crispy pastries stuffed with red beans
- Oyster omelets – starchy egg omelets with fresh oysters, Asian cabbage and chili sauce
- Small sausage in big sausage – Taiwanese pork sausage wrapped in sticky rice sausage and chargrilled
- Salt and pepper popcorn chicken – marinated chicken battered with yam flour, deep fried and seasoned with Taiwanese salt and pepper mix
- Tapioca pearl milk tea
Taiwanese Fun & Games
Try your hand at one of the many games traditionally found at Taiwanese night markets.
Go goldfish scooping where you’ll try to catch as many goldfish as you can while using a small circular net. You can bring home the goldfish that you catch.
Test your aim when you try to pop a water balloon during dart shooting. Play to win a prize at the ring toss or Taiwanese pinball games.
Old & New Taiwanese Entertainment
Blending traditional and modern Taiwanese customs, the techno-dancing Third Prince will make an appearance to energize the crowd. His performance combines temple culture with techno music and simple dance moves, so the audience can quickly learn to dance along and join in.
Audiences can also enjoy the live music of Eastern Wind and the pop star Witness, playing modern Taiwanese pop songs and soft rock on the stage.
Get a glimpse into the culture of Taiwan’s fourteen aboriginal tribes via outfits, songs, and dances.
Children can also enjoy playing with chemical-free; flour-based handmade Taiwanese Dough Figurines, check out oiled paper umbrellas that can be purchased for decoration, or take a seat for the glove puppet show inside the community center building.
All entertainment is free.
About the Taiwanese Association of America – Houston Chapter
The Taiwanese Association of America – Houston Chapter, formerly known as the Formosan Club, has grown from 29 Houston-based Taiwanese families to more than 350 members today.
The organization promotes both Taiwanese and American cultures and ethnic heritages through fellowship, harmony, and community support. In addition to the Taiwan Festival, it also hosts the annual Taiwan Movie Festival, 228 Memorial Music Concert, and various Taiwanese holiday celebrations.
Taiwan Yes Houston 2018 at Taiwanese Association of America – Houston Chapter
- Date: Saturday, April 21, 2018
- Time: 10:30am to 4pm
- Location: In front of the Taiwanese Association of America Houston Chapter, 5885 Point West Drive #100, Houston, TX 77036
- Parking: Free on-site parking
- Admission: Free. Click here for more information.
This post was sponsored by the Taiwanese Association of America – Houston Chapter. Per our sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from businesses that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, resource, or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.