Pack a picnic and lounge hillside at free concerts, plays, and dance performances at the early spring shows at Miller Outdoor Theatre‘s 95th season of free programming at Hermann Park.
Since 1923, Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park has welcomed Houstonians to enjoy complimentary, family-friendly entertainment.
From concerts and theatrical performances to film screenings and dance, Miller’s annual Spring series continues to offer a variety of cultural programming in its opening months, leading up to the summer season.
- Shrek the Musical | Thursday, March 29 to Saturday, March 31 | FREE – See your favorite comedic fairy tale, complete with a cynical ogre, feisty princess, and loud-mouthed donkey, performed live with all-new music and dance numbers. This is a free ticketed event. 8pm every night.
- Shrek the Musical | Thursday, April 5 to Saturday, April 7 | FREE – The family-friendly musical featuring Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, and the rest continues its run. 8pm every night.
- Celebrate Japan! | Thursday, April 12 | FREE – Celebrate 25 Years of Japan Festival and 50 years of Japan-America Friendship in Houston. Miller marks these milestones with a special performance of by Japanese drum troupe Aska-Gumi. 8pm.
- Music That Should Be Danced | Friday, April 13 | FREE – Watch as the musicians and dancers of the Foundation for Modern Music collaborate in a vibrant performance that reflects our city’s rich, diverse, and creative spirit. This is a free ticketed event. 8pm.
- Houston’s Got Bollywood | Saturday, April 14 | FREE – Experience the high-energy world of Bollywood through four acts of innovative choreography, elaborate costumes, and a variety of dance styles performed by more than 60 dancers from MOKSH Community Arts Inc. This is a free ticketed event. 8:15pm.
- Moving Myths: Story Telling Through Dance | Wednesday, April 18 | FREE – Explore captivating legends and mythology as METdance uses movement to express beloved tales from other cultures in an interactive dance performance. 11am.
- HAYA Band: The Migration | Friday, April 20 | FREE – Listen to the calming sounds of traditional and contemporary Chinese music when award-winning HAYA Band performs Migration, a moving concert that incorporates chants, the Mongolian horsehead fiddle, plucked string instruments, throat singing, and shaman drums. This is a free ticketed event. 8pm.
- Step Afrika! | Saturday, April 21 | FREE – Cheer on the Step Afrika! dance troupe as they take the stage in a thrilling performance of stepping, an art form based on African tradition that combines intricate kicks, stomps, and rhythms mixed with spoken word. This is a free ticketed event. 8pm.
- Freedom Train: A Celebration of Black History | Thursday, April 26 | FREE – Follow the true story of a mother and son who escape from a Texas plantation and journey to freedom through the Underground Railroad in Freedom Train: A Celebration of Black History, presented by Express Children’s Theatre. 11am.
- Dance of Asian America: East Meets West XVI | Saturday, April 28 | FREE – Discover what happens when East meets West as Dance of Asian America joins some of Houston’s most elite dance companies in a performance that fuses various types of traditional and contemporary Asian dance. This is a free ticketed event. 8:15pm.
Miller Outdoor Theatre 95th Season: March & April Shows
For ticketed events in the seating area, free tickets are available (up to four per person over age 16 while tickets last) at the Miller Outdoor Theatre box office the day of the performance between the hours of 10:30am and 1pm.
Open seating on the hill is open on first come, first claimed basis.
Miller’s 95th anniversary season continues through the summer and the fall, concluding in mid-November. Click here to see the list of upcoming shows in May and beyond.
This story was sponsored by Miller Outdoor Theatre. Per our advertising policy, we only accept sponsored content from businesses that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, resource, or destination for Houstonians and Houston visitors. Click here to learn about promoting your event, product or business.