While Houstonians definitely love their cars, there are nooks and crannies of the city that are best explored by foot. In our Walkable Houston series, we traverse those districts to find the prettiest parks, hottest restaurants and bars, coolest local art and shops, and most visit-worthy hidden gems.
Old Town Spring is an old German settler town from the 1830 and ’40s that later boomed thanks to the addition of the International and Great Northern Railroad. Today, the district is ripe with quaint antique shops, art galleries, charming boutiques, and tasty restaurants, making it the perfect, family-friendly place for a leisurely stroll.
Play & Explore
- Annual Festivals and Events – Look out for a lineup of year-round events, from sip and shops and concerts in Preservation Park to festivals like SpringFest in March, Texas Crawfish & Music Festival in April, and Home for the Holidays in November and December.
Old Town Spring Ghost Tours – Take a creepy tour through the Old West town’s haunted past, with both classic and sunset tours available.
- Spring Historical Museum – Delve into the history of Spring’s railroad and lumber industries at this small museum, located on Main Street.
- Twisted Fit – Try out pole fitness, yoga, and belly dancing at this fitness center and dance studio.
Eat & Drink
- The Black Sheep Bistro – This cozy bistro offers big flavors, from curried cauliflower soup and five-spice ribs to miso-glazed sea bass and steak frites.
- The Blue Giraffe – This family-owned coffee house and café is a casual stop for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Dig into croissant and kolache, soups and sandwiches, and salads and wraps.
- Corkscrew BBQ – One of the top smokehouses in Texas sits in in Old Town Spring. Corkscrew draws barbecue enthusiasts near and far thanks to its glistening pork ribs, beautifully crusted Prime Black Angus brisket, and a killer bbq sandwiches, and over-loaded potatoes.
- Ellen’s Café – Stop by this café for handcrafted breakfast, lunch, and dinner items, including corned beef hash, Akaushi beef burgers, hatch chile chicken enchiladas, and beef stroganoff, plus milkshakes, cobblers, and pies.
- Envy Wine Room – Located in the heart of Old Town Spring, Envy Wine Room hosts an interesting and unique library of over 175 boutique and 25 beers.
- Jailhouse Saloon – Set in an old abandoned jail, this saloon houses a selection over 70 beers and hard ciders alongside live music sets.
- The Loose Caboose – Hit this fun and funky spot for bbq, burgers, and carnival-style desserts like funnel cake and fried Oreos.
- Old Town Spring Tasting Room – Sip wine on the cozy porch or inside at the wine shop, pick up gifts to go, and look out for fun special events like paint parties and Chick Flick Friday.
- The Provisioners Tale – Head here for casual American fare, from club sandwiches and Caesar salads to cheese boards and Cajun cream chicken. Kids meals are also available.
- Puffabellys Old Depot Restaurant – Set in an old train depot off Main, this neighborhood favorite offers a relaxed vibe, live music, and classic diner-style eats. Get beer-battered onion rings, loaded spuds, bacon cheeseburgers, and chicken-fried steak.
- The Tea Kettle Cafe – This full-service tea room offers a variety of hot and iced teas, sandwiches, scones, and other desserts.
Shop & Support Local
- Bear Custom Leather – With over 30 years of leather crafting experience, this custom shop offers everything from belts and holsters to Renaissance Fair armor.
- C. Schmidt & Sons – Formerly Masterpiece Hand-Crafted Furniture, this furniture boutique rocks one-of-a-kind, old-world inspired furniture pieces that individually hand-crafted and customized.
- Camille’s Antiques – Peruse antiques, vintage clothing, and furniture at this Main Street gem.
- The Cottage – This family-owned and operated boutique is dedicated three generations, from grandma to mom and baby. Find couture baby items, antiques, collectibles, gifts and more.
- CR Collectibles – This antique shop has several rooms filled with home décor and furnishings from shabby chic and cottage to American oak and French country.
- Crazy Mama’s – Create your own perfumes and love potions at this quirky custom perfumery.
- The Doll Hospital – In addition to doll repairs, this shop offers a selection of antique and classic, modern, reproduction porcelain, and original artist dolls.
- Emmy’s Sweet Shop – Hit the sweet spot with old-fashioned candies mixed with modern favorites and gourmet coffees and teas.
- German Gift House – Pick up everything from cuckoo clocks, nutcrackers, and ornaments to beautiful linens, ornate jewelry, and a variety of sweets and spices at this German gift shop, located off Gentry.
- Little Dutch Girl – This cozy shop offers Dutch holiday treats and ornaments, teapots and saucers, and wooden shoes, plus over 40 kinds of licorice and 20 varieties of fudge.
- Sam’s Antiques – Sift through the extensive selection of American and European antique furniture.
- The Teacher Creature Store – This retail/resale store offers supplies for teachers and students, home office, and pets alongside a selection of anime and gifts.
- The Spotted Pony – Shop for ladies fashion and jewelry, plus renaissance clothing for men and women including pirate cloaks, steampunk, coats, dresses, fairy outfits and more.
- Thads – This eclectic gift shop is a fan favorite during the holidays.
- Even More Shops – That’s just a taste of what Old Town Spring has to offer. Click here for the full list of businesses.