Honor the Lunar New Year at parties, festivals, and events around Houston from Saturday, February 17 to Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Celebrated throughout Asian countries and throughout Houston, the arrival of this year’s Lunar New Year marks the close of the Year of the Rooster and the arrival of the Year of the Dog.
Lunar New Year 2018 Events in Houston
- 2018 Lunar New Year Festival at Chinese Community Center | Saturday, February 17 | FREE – Join the crowd-pleasing 2018 Lunar New Year Festival, filled with Asian foods, music and more at the Chinese Community Center. Featuring musical and dance performances from local groups, vendors offering art, games, food, prizes, hands-on activities for children, and raffles with high dollar amount prizes, this free cultural festival is the perfect way to ring in the year of the dog. 10am to 4pm.
- Lunar New Year 2018 at Children’s Museum of Houston | Saturday, February 17 – Become immersed in Houston’s diverse Asian heritage and ring in the new year of the dog during the 2018 Lunar New Year bash at The Children’s Museum of Houston. Kids can enjoy martial arts and dance performances as well as arts and crafts activities. Included in general admission to the museum. 10am to 4pm.
- Cathay Bank Family Day: Lunar New Year at Asia Society | Saturday, February 17 – Join the Asia Society Texas Center in welcoming the Year of the Dog with performances, art and craft activities, and food inspired by Lunar New Year traditions across Asia. Noon to 4pm.
- Asia Society Lunar New Year at The Galleria | Saturday, February 17 to Sunday, February 18 and Saturday, February 24 to Sunday, February 25 | FREE – Join Asia Society Texas Center to celebrate the Lunar New Year at The Galleria. To start the Year of the Dog, you can enjoy arts and crafts projects, performances, and games for the whole family. All activities and performances will take place in the new Galleria VI wing, near the old Saks Fifth Avenue entrance. Noon to 5pm each day.
- Lunar New Year at River Oaks District | Saturday, February 17 | No Cover – In celebration of the Lunar New Year, red “lucky money” envelopes containing a $2 bill will be given to the first 250 guests at River Oaks District beginning at 9am. There will also be complimentary hot tea provided by Katz Coffee. Then in the evening, see the Soaring Phoenix Dragon and Lion Dance Association perform at 5pm and then head to the Le Colonial restaurant at 6pm.
- 2018 Lunar New Year at Houston Premium Outlets | Saturday, February 17 and Sunday, February 18 | FREE – The Houston Premium Outlets in Cypress celebrates the 2018 Lunar New Year, the year of the Dog, with a 2-day family-friendly event. Enjoy traditional Lion Dance performances by the Phap Luan Buddhist Culture Center youth group, special retailer savings, complimentary treats and more. Saturday at 1pm; Sunday at 1:30pm.
- Texas Lunar Festival at Southern News Group | Saturday, February 24 | FREE – Celebrate the year of the dog at this festival with dance performances, a fashion show, martial arts performances, vendors, food trucks, and more in front of the Southern News Group Building on Bellaire. 10am to 5pm.
- Lunar New Year Houston 2018 at the Viet Hoa Center | Saturday, February 24 to Sunday, February 25 | FREE – This two-day outdoor festival and market will feature lions and dragons in performance along with live music, food, and local vendors to ring in the Year of the Dog. All are invited to this celebration of all of the Asian cultures represented in Houston, including Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Cambodian, Filipino and more. 10am to 6pm both days.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).