Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during February 2018.
Also in February 2018
Happening This Week
From Mardi Gras to the kick-off of the Houston Rodeo, there’s plenty to celebrate in February. Maybe we’ll event get one more snowfall.
Ring in the Year of the Dog at Lunar New Year celebrations around the city, celebrate Valentine’s Day with your love or make fun of it with your friends, throw beads at Mardi Gras in Galveston, run a 5k and get blasted with colored powder, catch a college basketball game before March Madness starts, stuff your face with barbeque, or wine, or chili, and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this February.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of February.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: February 2018
- Barry Manilow in Concert at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, February 2 – Award winning singer Barry Manilow will perform songs from his latest album This is My Town: Songs of New York at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land.
- Mardi Gras Parties in Galveston | Starts Friday, February 2 – Throw beads at the largest Mardi Gras celebration in Texas with elaborate parades, concerts, balcony parties, masked balls, a 5K run, family events, and lots of eating and drinking.
- The Barber of Seville at the Resilience Theatre at George R. Brown Convention Center | Saturday, February 3, Thursday, February 8, and Saturday, February 10 – Houston Grand Opera brings this classic story to life at their new home in the George R. Brown Convention Center.
- Texas Monthly Whiskey Affair at Silver Street Studios | Thursday, February 8 – Don’t miss this tasting event featuring more than 50 types of whiskey, chef pairings, live music, book signings, and seminars.
- Cupid’s Undie Run at Fuego’s Saloon | Saturday, February 10 – Strip down and run through the Heights in your undies to raise money for a good cause in this wildly popular Valentine’s-themed event.
- 2018 Karbach Cookoff at Lucky’s Pub | Saturday, February 10 – Stuff your face with unlimited samples in the categories of chili, chicken, and open dish, while dancing to music from headliners Big & Rich at Karbach’s annual Cookoff event. 100 percent of the proceeds benefit the Houston Fire Department and local firefighters.
- Women Rock! A Benefit Concert at Rudyard’s | Saturday, February 10 – Rock out to a line-up of female-led bands like Lazer Kittenz and Mydolls at the Women Rock! Concert at Rudyard’s British Pub, benefitting Mildred’s Umbrella Theater Company. Other female-owned businesses and service organizations will be in attendance.
- Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks at Toyota Center | Sunday, February 11 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Mavs at Toyota Center.
- ReelAbilities: Houston Film Festival at Venues Around Houston | Monday, February 12 to Thursday, February 22 – Check out a number of films, documentaries, and shorts dedicated to celebrating the lives, stories, and talents of people with disabilities at the ReelAbilities: Houston Film Festival. You can also check out artwork, a blues concert, and kick-off festivities.
- Valentine’s Day Events Around Houston | Wednesday, February 14 – Feel the love on a pedal boat cruise at Hermann Park, get creative at a Couples Painting Party at Southern Star Brewery, sample whiskey and chocolate at Little Dipper Bar, live it up at an anti-Valentine’s event at Grimaldi’s, or enjoy a nice dinner out at your favorite restaurant this Valentine’s Day.
- Houston Cougars vs. Cincinnati Bearcats basketball at TSU Health & Physical Education Arena | Thursday, February 15 – The highly-ranked men’s basketball team from the University of Cincinnati will travel to Houston to play the Cougars for this in-conference game. Tickets start at $5, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 6pm.
- Lunar New Year 2018 Celebrations Around Houston | Starts Friday, February 16 – Bring in the Year of the Dog with performances, lion dances, martial arts demonstrations, food, and fireworks at events like the Viet Hoa Center’s annual celebration, The Texas Lunar Festival, and festival at the Chinese Community Center.
- Wine on the Green at The Water Works at Buffalo Bayou Park | Saturday, February 17 – Taste more than 60 local and international wines with light bites from Houston chefs during Wine on the Green at Water Works Park. All participants will receive a souvenir glass, unlimited wine and food samples, access to the spirit lounge, and entertainment.
- World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG Park | Thursday, February 22 to Saturday, February 24 – Get ready for the 2018 Houston Rodeo at this annual three-day Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG. More than 250 teams will compete, while guests enjoy live music from Kevin Fowler and Roger Creager, carnival rides, games, drinks, and barbeque. Admission doesn’t include access to private tents.
- Color in Motion 5K at Sam Houston Race Park | Saturday, February 24 – Run through Downtown Houston, decked out in all-white, and get blasted with colorful powder throughout the 5k course at the Color in Motion race.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).