Circle these dates on your calendar for can’t-miss sports and game events around Houston during February 2018.
Also in February 2018
Happening This Week
With icy winters behind us and temperatures starting to rise, a handful of fun runs and bike rides gives Houstonians a chance to get back outside and see their city.
A star-studded sports awards show also highlights a month of professional action, including a couple Rockets games guaranteed to entertain.
Top 9 Game & Sports Events This Month: February 2018
- Houston Sports Awards at Hilton Americas | Thursday, February 8 – With a historic year for Houston sports over, the Harris County Sports Authority is hosting the inaugural Houston Sports Awards. Taking place at the Downtown Hilton, entry doesn’t come cheap, with tickets starting at $600, but a portion of the proceeds go toward charity and you’ll get a chance to mingle among some of Houston’s superstars. At $100 per entry, the Golden Ticket raffle also offers an extraordinary chance to win season tickets for the Rockets, Astros, Dynamo, Dash, Rodeo Houston, Houston Open, two Texans games, and two college bowl games. Reception begins at 4:30pm; dinner and awards to follow beginning at 6pm.
- Monster Jam at NRG Stadium | Saturday, February 10 and Sunday, February 11 – If you missed your chance to check out the high-flying, bone-rattling action at Monster Jam in January, then you’ve got two more chances this month. The 7pm Saturday and 3pm Sunday shows promise a huge weekend of enormous fun. Tickets start at $15 for each day, but you might find better or cheaper tickets on TicketNetwork’s resale website.
- Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks at Toyota Center | Sunday, February 11 – While the Dallas team up a-ways on I-45 isn’t doing so hot this year, this game marks their only visit to Houston in what is generally a spirited rivalry between fans. This might also be a farewell performance for basketball legend Dirk Nowitzki, whose career is rumored to be in its last season. Tickets range from $24 to over $1000, but you may find better or cheaper tickets on the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. 6pm.
- Houston Cougars vs. Cincinnati Bearcats basketball at TSU Health & Physical Education Arena | Thursday, February 15 – The 12th-ranked basketball program in the country comes to Houston to face the Cougars in a matchup between two top teams in the American Athletic Conference. Seats closest to the floor are nearly sold out but plenty of availability remains elsewhere with tickets ranging from $5 to $85, but you may be able to find better or cheaper seats on the TicketNetwork resale website. 6pm.
- Houston Roller Derby at Revention Music Center | Saturday, February 17 – Grab a seat this month for a bruising doubleheader that kicks off Houston Roller Derby’s 13th season. The Bayou City Bosses come up against the Valkyries while the Psych Ward Sirens and the Brawlers close it down. Tickets are $15 for general admission; $25 for premium seating. 7pm.
- We Love Houston – On Bikes! at Memorial Park | Sunday, February 18 | FREE – Organized by Bayou City Outdoors, the We Love Houston bike ride gathers friendly cyclists at the Memorial Park Rugby Field before heading out to the We Love Houston sculpture, Love Park, and various bike trails around Houston and along the bayous. This event is free and offers the public a chance for a fun afternoon bike ride that might show you a part of Houston not seen from a car. 1:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves at Toyota Center | Friday, February 23 – The final matchup between these two teams makes for headlines with each squad sitting near the top of the grueling Western Conference. James Harden and Chris Paul lead a Rockets team up against the star-studded lineup of Karl Anthony-Towns, Andrew Wiggins, and Jimmy Butler. Tickets range from $24 to over $1000, but you may find cheaper or better tickets on the TicketNetwork resale marketplace. 7pm.
- HLSR Rodeo Run at Walker Street and Bagby Street | Saturday, February 24 – After seeing nearly 10,000 runners for the 2017 edition of the Rodeo Run, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo is expecting big crowds for this year’s wheelchair race, 10K, and 5K run/walk. Proceeds from the event go towards the HLSR Educational Fund, which has raised almost $5 million dollars in the last 30 years. Register for $35 and get a shirt and entry to the post-race party at Eleanor Tinsley Park. Events begin on staggered times, starting at 9am with the 10k wheelchair race. Those looking to participate should note that there is no race-day registration available.
- Color in Motion 5K at Sam Houston Race Park | Saturday, February 24 – At this fun run, you may show up in a clean white shirt but you’ll leave looking like a kaleidoscope. The 5k course guides participants through color stations that layer colorful pigment on you and everything you wear. Registration includes a race-shirt, color packet, and entry to the post-race Color Bash. Tickets to this rainbow party are $25, but limited discounted $19.50 tickets are available. Ppt for the $75 VIP registration that includes additional perks. 9am.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).