Love is in the air, and so are beads. With Mardi Gras celebrations and romantic Valentine’s Day affairs, this month’s hottest culinary happenings give you plenty reason to celebrate in February 2018.
Also in February 2018
Happening This Week
Now that January is over and your resolutions have at least partially dissipated, it’s time to get the party started. Start with the 107th Mardi Gras extravaganza in Galveston, continue the fun with a barbecue-filled Super Bowl Sunday, and share a special Valentine’s Day treat (hint: it includes beer and cheese) with your loved one. Get all of that and more with February’s tastiest offerings.
Top 12 Food & Drink events in Houston: February 2018
- Mardi Gras Mixers & Elixers at the Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday, February 2 – Head to the museum for the best Mardi Gras party, where you can “Laissez les bons temps rouler” (let the good times rolls). Masquerade masks are highly encouraged as guests enjoy a live band, dancing, cash bars, and food trucks including Harold’s, Soul Cat Cuisine, and Gumbo Xpress. Tickets are $25; $15 for HMNS members; free for HMNS Catalysts. 21 and over only. 7pm to 10pm.
- The 107th Celebration of Mardi Gras! Galveston | Friday, February 2 through Tuesday, February 13 – Over than 3 million beads will be thrown at Texas’ largest Mardi Gras celebration, with the lineup of festivities including elaborate parades, headliner performances and concerts, balcony parties and masked balls, an official 5K run, family events, and plenty of feasting; plus a new for 2018 food truck park featuring festival favorites like turkey legs, funnel cake, gyros, and tacos. Party passes, balcony tickets, and general admission tickets can be purchased online.
- 8th Annual Wine Walk at Winter Street Studios | Saturday, February 3 – Houston Boxer Rescue will be hosting its 8th Annual Wine Walk, offering a taste of 10+ wines from Spain alongside live music, tasty snacks, and local art from the artist workshops of Winter Street Studios. Tickets are $35 with raffle entries and t-shirts available for purchase as well. 3pm to 5:30pm.
- Super Beef Sunday at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, February 4 – Gear up for the big game by filling up on masterclass barbecue from the legendary Louie Mueller BBQ and local heroes Feges BBQ and Victorian’s Barbecue. The meats and beer will be flowing, and Louie Mueller will also have its pre-wrapped whole brisket and beef ribs available for pre-purchase ($75 to $100). Tickets are $50 per person and include tastings from all three pitmasters, beer, and a commemorative pint glass. 11am to 2pm.
- Texas Monthly Whiskey Affair at Silver Street Studios | Thursday, February 8 – Whisky fans won’t want to miss this premium whiskey tasting event, which will highlight up to 50 brown spirits and celebrate the whiskey lifestyle with chef pairings, couture cocktails, live music, and spirit seminars led by Texas Monthly Editor in Chief Tim Taliaferro and Wine & Spirits contributor Jessica Dupuy. Tickets are $95 each, with $5 of every ticket going toward Feeding Texas and the Houston Food Bank. 6pm to 10pm.
- Corks & Forks at The Corinthian | Friday, February 9 – Join the American Cancer Society in finishing the fight against cancer at the Houston Corks and Forks event. The one-of-a-kind evening will feature a culinary competition among some of Houston’s top chefs, with food tastings and wine pairings for the crowd. Throughout the evening, you can cast your vote for your favorite chef and enjoy live music, spectacular live and silent auctions, and more. Tickets start at $125 per person, with additional table and sponsorship opportunities available. 7:30pm to 10pm; 6:30pm VIP.
- 2018 Karbach Cookoff at Lucky’s Pub | Saturday, February 10 – The annual Karbach Cookoff is one of the brewery’s biggest charity events of the year, with 100 percent of the proceeds benefiting the Houston Fire Department and local area firefighters. Tickets are $60 and include entry to the cookoff, unlimited tastings, a commemorative firefighter glass, entry to the concert, and three Karbach beers. VIP and concert only tickets are also available. Noon to 10:30pm.
- Valentine’s Beer & Cheese Tasting at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, February 11 – Houston Dairymaids and Saint Arnold are teaming up for their annual Valentine’s Day tasting, pairing handcrafted beers with a variety of cheese. Reservations are $30 per person. 1pm to 3pm.
- Mardi Gras 2018 at Brennan’s of Houston | Tuesday, February 13 – Dance your beads off at Brennan’s New Orleans-style Mardi Gras celebration, complete with palm readers, necklaces, a live jazz band, and specialty cocktails like the Rue Royale Rickey and Bourbon Street Smash. Prices vary by dish and cocktails 5:45pm to 7:45pm.
- Wine on the Green at The Water Works at Buffalo Bayou Park | Saturday, February 17 – This intimate wine experience focuses on showcasing international and local wines for all wine lovers, offering over 60 wines, tasty eats from local chefs, upbeat music, and fun at the beautiful Water Works Park with views of the Downtown skyline. Tickets are $40 and include access to the festival, a souvenir glass, complimentary samples, access to the spirit lounge, and entertainment. 3pm to 8pm.
- World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at NRG Park | Thursday, February 22 through Saturday, February 24 – Kick off the rodeo festivities with this three-day barbecue contest and festival. More than 250 teams will compete to win the crown; and while most tents are invite-only, there are some great open-to-the-public venues, including The Garden, Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon, and the Chuck Wagon (the carnival is also open with wild rides and fun games). Tickets can be purchased for $15; $5 for children 3 to 12 and include one-day admission to the carnival, Saloon and Chicken Wagon; a complimentary bbq plate with brisket, beans, and chips; and access to live music areas. Times vary daily.
- Masquerade Woodlands: A Mardi Gras Celebration at Town Green Park | Saturday, February 24 – This inaugural Mardi Gras celebration will showcase the best of New Orleans Mardi Gras, from zydeco and jazz music to Cajun and Southern bites, plus crawfish, hurricanes, margaritas, a kids zone, pet parade and, of course, beads, beads, and more beads. Tickets are $4 for general admission; $60 for VIP. 5pm to 11pm.