Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, January 17 to Sunday, January 21, 2018.
Also in January 2018
Happening This Week
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
Wednesday, January 17, 2018
- 1 Year Anniversary of Raising the Steaks at Belle Station – Celebrate the 1 year anniversary of Raising the Steaks, a party featuring a steak dinner, drinks, and dancing at Belle Station. Cover charge at the door. 4pm.
- ’90s Trivia Night and Sing a Long at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Wear your best ’90s outfit and test your knowledge about the “Macarena” and beanie baby decade at Under the Radar Brewery. There will be $3 pints and the Deutscher Fleischwagen food truck will be on site. 7pm to 10pm.
- 2018: A Space Oddity at Sigma Brewing Company | No Cover – Sigma Brewing Company hosts a science talk featuring two NASA scientists Dr. Patrice Yarbough, the head of the Human Exploration and Research Analog and Max Kelleher, a flight controller for the Environmental and Thermal Operations team. 7pm.
- Couples Painting Party at Southern Star Brewery – Be creative with your partner when Paint on Tap hosts their Couples Painting Party at Southern Star Brewery. Tickets are $90 per couple. 7pm to 10pm.
- Backyard Bingo and Burgers at Wicklow Heights | No Cover – Wicklow Heights host their Backyard Bingo and Burgers event every Wednesday with food provided by Balls Out Burgers and drink specials all night. 7:30pm.
Thursday, January 18, 2018
- A.J. Croce in Concert at Dosey Doe – Watch a performance from Jim Croce’s son A.J. Croce at the Dosey Doe Big Barn in The Woodlands. Tickets range from $15 to $24. 6pm.
- Will & Grace Watch Party at Guava Lamp – Watch brand new episodes of the sitcom, Will & Grace, at the LGBT-friendly bar and venue, Guava Lamp. There will be people dressed up in the characters, raffle prizes, trivia games, drink specials and more. 7pm to 9pm.
- John Hiatt in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a performance from rock guitarist, pianist, and singer-songwriter, John Hiatt at House of Blues in Downtown. Tickets start at $35. 7pm.
- Harry Potter Trivia at Stats Sports Bar and Grill | No Cover – Test your knowledge of the Harry Potter films for a chance to win up to $200 in cash prizes at Stats Sports Bar and Grill. There will be .75 cent wings as well as plenty of drink specials. 7:30pm to 11:30pm.
- CSz presents The EaDo Comedy Show – Catch plenty of high-energy characters, fast-paced scenes and personal absurdities in The Eado Comedy Show, CSz Houston’s long-form improv show that draws from the fun East Downtown neighborhood vibe. Full price tickets are $10, but limited comped (you only pay ticketing fees) and discounted $5 tickets available. 8pm.
- Motel Radio in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – See a show from the New Orleans-based rock n roll band, Motel Radio with openers The Artisanals at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $10. 8pm.
- Karaoke Night at Saint Dane’s Bar & Grille | No Cover – Saint Dane’s Bar & Grille host an open mic karaoke night with plenty of food and drink specials. 9pm.
- DJ 4B at Spire Houston – Dance the night away when producer and DJ 4B spins at the Spire nightclub in Downtown. Tickets are $15. 10pm.
Friday, January 19, 2018
- Opening Reception: Dissent and Desire at CAMH | FREE – Celebrate the opening of Dissent and Desire featuring documentary photographs by Sunil Gupta and Charan Singh that chronicle contemporary LGBTQ+ life in Delhi, India at the Contemporary Arts Museum of Houston. 6:30pm.
- Ruth B in Concert at House of Blues – Canadian singer-songwriter Ruth B hits the stage at House of Blues with opener Hailey Knox. Tickets are $15. 6:30pm.
- UGK Night Light Vibe at 3rd Ward Tours – Experience a cruise around the city streets on the Brand New Dutch Bikes equipped with multicolor LED lights. Riders will be riding through the streets with a break at Midtown Park while you vibe to music from Houston rapper, UGK. Tickets range from $10 to $22. 7pm to 9pm.
- Loretta Lynn in Concert at Arena Theater – Watch a performance from the Queen of Country herself, Loretta Lynn at the Arena Theater. Tickets start at $90 for remaining seats but cheaper or better seats might be available using the TicketNetwork online resale market. 8pm.
- Pinback in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – The longtime indie rockers bring their clean sound and new songs to town at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets are $18 in advance; $22 day of the show. 8pm.
- Emo Nite at Houston Undrgrnd – Celebrate the best emo and pop-punk songs from the early 00’s at Emo Nite at Houston Undrgrnd nightclub. Presale tickets are $10 for 21 and up; $15 for 18 and up. 9pm.
- A Fistful of Soul at The Continental Club | No Cover – Bust a move at Houston’s monthly ’60s soul and rhythm & blues dance party at The Continental Club in Mid Main. 10pm.
Saturday, January 20, 2018
- 10″ x 10″ Art Show at The Hardy & Nance Studios | No Cover – Hardy & Nance Studios hosts the 10″ by 10″ Art Show, an exhibition featuring local artists that coincides with their Third Saturday Open Studios. All art will be priced under $100. Artists can register their own work for a $10 entry fee. 5pm to 9pm.
- Money Show: Comedy Show at Sterling House – See various stand up comedians from all over the country at the Money Show, a comedy show where after you pay cover, they pay you a crisp $1 bill to watch the show. Cover charge is $5. 6:45pm.
- Uncle Lucius in Concert at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck – Experience the rock and blues sounds of the 5-piece band, Uncle Lucius at McGonigel’s Mucky Duck. There will be a performance at 7pm and 9:30pm. Tickets are $25 in advance and $27 at the door. 7pm.
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in Concert at House of Blues – The alternative rock band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, come to town for their Wrong Tour 2018 at House of Blues. Tickets range from $25 to $35. 7pm.
- Saturday Lesson & Social Dance at A 2nd Cup – Get your groove on and learn how to dance at this beginners swing class and then stay to show off your moves for their social at A 2nd Cup. Cover charge is $5. 7:30pm.
- Aimee Mann in Concert at The Heights Theater – The singer-songwriter, Aimee Mann hits the stage at The Heights Theater. Tickets start at $28. 8pm.
- ComedySportz Match Improv Show at CSz Arena – Two teams battle for laughs and points as they make up scenes, games, and songs on the spot with audience participation and suggestions incorporated into the act. With the help of a referee, the audience will generate suggestions for improv games and determine the winner. Tickets are $20, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10. 8pm.
- 4th Annual Bayou City Burlesque & Circus Arts Festival – This festival features acrobats from San Fransisco, showgirls from Montreal, trapeze performers from Austin, and a chorus line of “H-Town Clowns.” In between acts, enjoy The Bayou Bazaar, featuring artists, photographers, and designers ready to fill out the gaps in your costume closet, offer their unique set of wares, and introduce you to amazing classes. Tickets are $25. 8pm.
- The New Beat with DJ Amanda Bayou at Etro Lounge | No Cover – Dance to disco, new wave, synth pop and more at The New Beat event featuring their host VJ Rob and special guest DJ Amanda Bayer at Etro Lounge. 9pm.
Sunday, January 21, 2018
- Opening Reception: Andy Coolquitt at Jonathan Hopson Gallery | No Cover – Jonathan Hopson Gallery present their opening reception for the Austin-based artist, Andy Colquitt. 1pm to 5pm.
- Kitchen Takeover Sunday at Wooster’s Garden | No Cover – Have a cocktail and try new and exciting foods each Sunday afternoon when Wooster’s Garden in Midtown host its popular chef-driven pop-up, the Kitchen Takeover Sunday. Dishes will be priced from $12 to $16. Drink prices vary. 3pm to 8pm.
- The Dr. Keith Show at Guava Lamp – Join in for an open forum with the mental health professional Dr. Keith Clarke at the LGBT-friendly bar and venue, Guava Lamp. Tickets are $8.63 presale; $13 at the door. 3pm to 7pm.
- Sawyer in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Nashville pop duo, Sawyer, hit the stage at White Oak Music Hall with openers Jordy Searcy and Cue the Sun!. Tickets are $10. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).