While Houstonians definitely love their cars, there are nooks and crannies of the city that are best explored by foot. In our Walkable Houston series, we traverse those districts to find the prettiest parks, hottest restaurants and bars, coolest local art and shops, and most visit-worthy hidden gems.
One of the neighborhood’s main attractions, Sugar Land Town Square offers a mix of offices and condos, shops, bars and restaurants, a central plaza, and plenty of walkable space.
Play & Explore
- Events in the Square – Check out the calendar of happenings in the square, from fun runs, concerts, and movies under the moon to annual holiday celebrations and fun events like BeerFeast and the Gumbo Smackdown.
- Fred Astaire Dance Studio – From Cha-Cha and West Coast Swing to Tango and Waltz, Fred Astaire offers dance lessons from beginner to the highest amateur level. The studio also offers free lessons, dancing, and performances at its Thursday night practice party.
Eat & Drink
- Agu Ramen – Slurp bonito-infused spicy tonkotsu and one-of-a-kind house specialties like the hakata tonkotsu, made with a milky, shio-based broth and thin, Hakata-style noodles; and be sure to add on starters from shishito peppers and gyoza to “AGUcini” (deep-fried, gooey, and cheesy rice balls).
- Baker St. Pub & Grill – Unwind with a beer and a burger; and be sure to look out for daily specials, from Texas Tuesday and $3 Taco Thursday to live music and weekend brunch.
- Bar Louie – Open for lunch, brunch, happy hour, and dinner, this popular bar and grill is especially tasty late night, as the kitchen is open and serving the full menu until close. Get hot wings, loaded nachos, flatbreads, and sloppy burgers.
- Bellagreen – Those looking for an eco-conscious, down to earth meal can head to Bellagreen (a rebrand of the former Ruggles Green). Start with hempanadas and organic spinach dip, dig into stacked kale salads and Cuban pork panini, cozy up with spicy shrimp pasta and quinoa mac’ and cheese, and save room for white chocolate bread pudding.
- Escalante’s – Hit this local mini-chain for boozy margs and classic Tex-Mex—think chile con queso blanco, tableside guacamole, sizzling fajitas, enchiladas, and brunch dishes like breakfast tacos and huevos rancheros.
- Fish City Grill – Seafood fans can get their fill at this Dallas-born joint. Feast on char-grilled oysters, dark roux gumbo, fried seafood platters, blackened trout, and shrimp & grits.
- Flying Saucer – Drawing in beer nerds near and far, this craft draught emporium offers tap and pint nights, trivia bowls, and eats like bar pies, messy burgers, and charcuterie boards along with its impressive selection of brews.
- Guru Burgers & Crepes – It’s all about burgers and crepes at this homegrown spot, though you’ll find things like salads, fries, hot dogs, and beer/wine, too. Go for outrageous selections like the pineapple, jalapeño-bacon and fried egg-topped Pineapple Express Burger or The Shaggy crepe, loaded with salmon, lump crab, and Sriracha sauce. Or get classics like the Royale with Cheese or Banana Nutella crepe.
- Japaneiro’s Sushi Bistro & Latin Grill – Latin and Japanese flavors bend at this Sugar Land favorite, which has been feeding locals since 2003. Share plates like salmon tostadas, jalapeño crab tempura, and spicy snapper ceviche, then enjoy nigiri, sashimi, and both traditional and inventive rolls.
- Jupiter Pizza & Waffle Co. – Can’t decide between pizza and waffles? Get both. This local spot rocks stone-baked pies from the classic (think pepperoni and wild mushroom) to the wild (think pulled pork, goat cheese, fried egg, and blueberry preserves). Belgian waffles come in both sweet and savory form, with toppings ranging from fried chicken and country gravy to dulce de leche and fresh fruit. The massive menu also rocks loaded fries and salads, breakfast skillets and omelets, and shareables like meatballs and chicken wings.
- Kilo Kolache and Arepas – From the team behind Japaneiro’s, Guru and Jupiter, this new concept offers homemade kolache, arepas, craft donuts, breakfast tacos, boba teas, smoothies, espresso drinks and more.
- The Middle Spoon – Indulge in sweets, light fare, and cocktails at this desserterie and bar, from chocolate lava cake and create-your-own sundaes to cheesy melts and spiced bourbon cocktails.
- Perry’s Steakhouse – Those looking for a classy date night on the Square can dine on crab cakes, Oscar-style filets, and tableside carved pork chops at this local institution.
- The Rouxpour – Get a taste of New Orleans, from char-grilled oysters by the dozen and half-dozen to bbq shrimp, muffalettas, crawfish etouffee, and Creole-style Louisiana redfish.
- Songkran Thai Grill – Named after Thailand’s famous Songkran (Thai New Year) festival, this casual grill house is open for lunch, dinner, and happy hour. Stop in for wok-fried pad kee mao (drunken noodle), grilled flat iron steak and hot and spicy pork rib, and stir-fried whole lobster tossed in sauces like fiery green curry or ginger-scallion. A kids menu is also available.
- The Sugar Refinery – Throw it back to the Prohibition era at this restaurant and cocktail bar, where you can indulge in sidecars, juleps, and negronis, plus eats like lobster deviled eggs, cast iron T-bones, pork belly sliders, and bourbon root beer floats.
- The Sweet Boutique – Stop by this sweet shop for cakes, cupcakes, macarons, cake pops, cookies, pies and more.
- Turquoise Grill & Bar – This Mediterranean spot offers traditional meze (small plates) like hummus, dolmas, tabuleh, and baked feta, plus gyros, kebabs, falafel, salads, burgers, and wraps.
Shop & Support Local
- The Collective – This locally-owned shop promotes Texan artisans in a quaint gift shop setting. Shop jewelry and accessories, apparel, home décor, bath and body and more; and look out for in-store events from interactive live painting with kids to artist pop-ups.
- La Reve Bridal Couture – Brides and bridesmaids can shop for designer gowns and accessories at this chic boutique. Book an appointment to try on gowns.
- Vino & Vinyl – This homegrown joint is part wine lounge, part record store, and all soul. Sip vino by the glass and bottle; munch on panino, flatbreads, and cheese boards; rummage through vintage vinyl; and shop for local art in the community art gallery.
- Other Shops at Sugar Land Town Square – Big name shops include Anne Taylor Loft, Charming Charlie, Jos. A. Bank, Sur la Table, and Z Gallerie.