Celebrate the vision and the impact of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with these Houston MLK Day 2017 celebrations parades, performances, and gatherings from Saturday, January 13 to Monday, January 15, 2018.
Also in January 2018
Happening This Week
Although the official day for honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. may not be until Monday, January 15, there are plenty of celebrations and events on Saturday and Sunday leading up to Houston MLK Day 2018.
Martin Luther King Day 2018 Celebrations in Houston
Saturday, January 13, 2018
- MLK Health Fair at The Fifth Ward Multi Service Center | FREE – The MLK Health Fair will feature an assortment of local healthcare professionals who own businesses including physicians, dentists, restaurant owners, fitness trainers, dietitians and more. Enjoy a complimentary catered breakfast, giveaways, free haircuts for kids, free health screenings and live music and entertainment. 8am to noon.
- MLK Youth Parade in Midtown Houston | FREE – Head to Midtown to march in – or watch – the 12th Annual MLK Youth Parade featuring 10 parade floats and 20 marching bands. The parade will take place near the HCC Central Campus. Noon.
- Pearland MLKCC Celebration of Unity Festival | FREE – The Pearland MLK Celebration Committee presents the 1st Annual Martin Luther King, Kr. Celebration of Unity at Pearland Town Center. Continue the recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with the community and enjoy cultural performances, live music, kid’s activities, food, speakers, and other activities. 3pm to 8pm.
Sunday, January 14, 2018
- MLK Battle of the Bands Competition at W.W. Thorne Stadium | FREE – The 17th Annual MLK Battle of the Bands will feature more than 20 nationally acclaimed marching bands from across the country, including the best high school marching bands from Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas. 4pm to 8pm.
MLK Day, Monday, January 15, 2018
- MLK Day at Children’s Museum of Houston – Join the Children’s Museum of Houston in honoring civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, and his legacy during their 22nd annual celebration. Tickets are $5. All day.
- Free Admission for Children for MLK Day at The Lone Star Flight Museum – The Lone Star Flight Museum will offer free admission for all visitors age 17 and under on Martin Luther King Day with support from the Dr. L.C. Carter Foundation. Free for kids under 17. General admission to adults over 17 are $20; seniors over 65 is $16; military tickets are $12. 9am to 5pm.
- MLK Day Audio Installation at Rothko Chapel | FREE – In honor of MLK Day, the Rothko Chapel plays speeches from Dr. King’s life throughout the day. Come listen to the quiet of the Chapel resonate with MLK’s voice. Times include 11am, 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Breakfast at George R. Brown Convention Center – The North Houston Frontiers Club hosts its 30th annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Breakfast at the George R Brown Convention Center. Tickets are $50, not including ticket fees. 8am.
- 40th Annual MLK Jr. Parade & Celebration at Minute Maid Park | FREE – Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as The Black Heritage Society Organization presents the 40th Annual Dr. MLK Jr. Parade in Downtown. 10am.
- 24th Annual MLK Grande Parade in Midtown | FREE – Watch over 30 marching bands and 15 parade floats at the 24th Annual MLK Parade in Midtown near the HCC Central Campus. 10am to noon.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Celebration at Rothko Chapel | FREE – The Rothko Chapel will hold lectures and host conversation exploring the power of symbols in society today. Special guest speakers include artist Ed Dwight, Harris County Commissioner Rodney Ellis, and Texas Southern University Art Historian and Curator Dr. Alvia Wardlaw, with moderation by ABC13’s news anchor Melanie Lawson. 7pm.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).