Clear your calendar for the biggest sports and game events hitting Houston during January 2018.
Also in January 2018
Happening This Week
Nightlife in Houston This Week
A new year is upon us in the city of Houston and this month offers plenty of chances to catch a marquee NBA matchup or the adrenaline-pumping action of Supercross and Monster Jam.
For those looking to participate, there are also a handful of charity runs and events designed to help you get out and see your city.
Top 10 Game & Sports Events This Month: January 2018
- Houston Rockets vs. Golden State Warriors at Toyota Center | Thursday, January 4 – James Harden, Chris Paul, Steph Curry, and Kevin Durant. What else is there to say? This is sure to be a sold-out event so act fast to secure your seats. Tickets for this matchup can be found from $85 to over $2,000, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 7pm.
- Blacklight Run 5K at Sam Houston Park | Saturday, January 6 – After being derailed in September thanks to Hurricane Harvey, the Blacklight Run returns in the new year. In this event, it isn’t important who finishes first, it’s more about the journey with runners being splattered in neon UV paint that pops under blacklights at night. Take on the 5K course with a post-race afterparty that feels like a rave. Registration for the nighttime run is $45. Check-in starts at 4pm; the race is set to begin at 6pm.
- Bayou City Outdoors Farmer’s Market Bike Ride at Onion Creek Cafe | Saturday, January 13 | FREE – Organized by Bayou City Outdoors, a group aiming to get people exploring their city while outside, this casual bike ride meets in the Heights at Onion Creek before heading off to the Downtown Farmer’s Market and back. Over the course of a few hours, you’ll cycle about 15 miles and get a chance to explore some of Houston’s scenic bike trails. This free event starts at 8:30am and rides until noon.
- Houston Cougars vs. University of Connecticut Huskies at H&PE Arena | Saturday, January 13 – The prolific first-ranked women’s basketball team from UConn visits Houston in a game where the Coogs will hope to stay competitive against top college talent. Tickets for this game are $3 general admission; $20 for floor seats. Afternoon tip-off at 2pm.
- Monster Energy AMA Supercross at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 13 – Watch these blisteringly fast bikes sling dirt and catch air as they snake through a tricky course packed with hairpin turns and lofty ramps. Tickets range from $28 to over $200, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 6:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves at Toyota Center | Thursday, January 18 – It might not be Golden State, but this weekday faceoff is one of the low-key value matchups of the month. Featuring Jimmy Butler, Karl Anthony-Towns, and Andrew Wiggins, this Minnesota team provides an under-the-radar game at bargain prices. Tickets for this late weekday tip-off start at $19, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 8:30pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Golden State Warriors at Toyota Center | Saturday, January 20 – If you’ve missed these two duking it out at the beginning of the month, this is your last chance to catch it for the season — unless a playoff matchup is lingering in the summer. Tickets for this final home matchup of the season start at $90, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 7:30pm.
- Harlem Globetrotters at NRG Arena | Friday, January 26 and Saturday, January 27 – Returning to Houston as part of their North American tour, the Globetrotters bring a fun and entertaining brand of basketball wizardry to fans of all of ages. Tickets start at $53.50, but you may find limited discounted tickets starting at $24. Friday 7:30pm; Saturday 2pm.
- Monster Jam at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 27 – The high-flying, eardrum-rattling action of these gargantuan trucks highlights the end of this month’s events. Come watch Grave Digger, Monster Mutt, and more in person on a huge Saturday night. Tickets range from $15 to over $180, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale website. 7pm.
- Houston Hot Chocolate 15K and 5K Road Race at Sesquicentennial Park | Sunday, January 28 – Benefitting the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the Hot Chocolate 15K and 5K invites runners on a course that snakes along Buffalo Bayou with a goodie bag full of chocolate treats at the other end. Registration for this event is $49 for the 5K; $74 for the 15K event and must be completed by Thursday, January 25. 7:15am.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
You can find more fun in our interactive event calendar and 365 Weekend Guides.
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).
Click here to sign up for free.