Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during January 2018.
Also in January 2018
Happening This Week
Whether you’re looking to accomplish new fitness goals, pick up a new hobby or add some adventure to your life, there are plenty of ways for you to kick off the new year.
Run in the Chevron Houston Marathon, learn how to make Indian curry, cheer for your home sports teams, spend some time meditating, get your blood pumping at a Monster Truck rally and more at these can’t-miss events in Houston this January.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of January.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: January 2018
- New Year’s Day Crystal Bowl Meditation at the Rothko Chapel | New Year’s Day, Monday, January 1 – Clear your mind with the sound of crystal bowls resonating throughout the chapel at this meditation led by Bayou Bliss Yoga founder Dana Shamas.
- Beer & Brass Concert at Saint Arnold Brewery | Thursday, January 4 – Raise a glass of craft beer and sway along to traditional beer hall music performed by the ROCO Brass Quintet at this concert at Saint Arnold. $35. 6pm.
- Houston Rockets vs. Golden State Warriors at Toyota Center | Thursday, January 4 and Saturday, January 20 – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the reigning NBA Champions, the Golden State Warriors, in two January games at Toyota Center.
- The Sale at Bayou City Event Center | Saturday, January 6 and Sunday, January 7 – Shop items from various local boutiques under one roof during this massive sale that benefits The Texas Children’s Cancer Center.
- Galveston Restaurant Week at Participating Restaurants Around Galveston | Saturday, January 6 to Sunday, January 21 – Eat your way through the Galveston restaurant scene by dining on prix fixe menus in support of Access Care of Coastal Texas during Galveston Restaurant Week.
- Curries Cooking Class at Pondicheri | Saturday, January 6 and Wednesday, January 17 – Master the art of layering flavors in meat and vegetable curries at this cooking class at Pondicheri.
- Sunday Brunch Launch at The Pass & Provisions | Sunday, January 7 – The Pass & Provisions are now open on Sundays. Provisions will start Sunday brunch with bloody marys, short rib hash, and Mexican chocolate cinnamon rolls. Provisions and the bar will also be open for happy hour and dinner on Sundays.
- Katy Perry in Concert at Toyota Center | Sunday, January 7 – Catch a live performance from pop star Katy Perry when her Witness Tour comes through Houston for a show with Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Urban Harvest Fruit Tree Sale at Houston Community College West Loop | Saturday, January 13 – Pick out temperate, tropical, and/or citrus fruit trees from an extensive selection at the 18th Annual Fruit Tree Sale hosted by Urban Harvest.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Events Around Houston | Saturday, January 13 to Monday, January 15 – Honor Martin Luther King Jr. at the 24th Annual MLK Grande Parade, the MLK Battle of the Bands Competition, the 40th Annual MLK Jr. Parade Celebration at Minute Maid Park and more.
- Chevron Houston Marathon in Downtown | Sunday, January 14 – Run, volunteer, or stop by to support runners during the Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Houston Half Marathon that winds through Houston, beginning and ending in Downtown.
- Shakira in Concert at Toyota Center | Friday, January 26 – Grammy Award-winning Colombian singer Shakira will stop in Houston on her World tour promoting her latest album El Dorado.
- Monster Jam at NRG Stadium | Saturday, January 27 – Watch monster trucks fly through the air and crush everything in their path at Monster Jam at NRG.
- Houston Hot Chocolate 15K and 5K at Sesquicentennial Park | Sunday, January 28 – Take off on a 5k or 15k course along Buffalo Bayou and make a stop (or a few) at the many sweet stations along the road. This race benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- One Pot Showdown at Saint Arnold Brewery | Sunday, January 28 – See what teams come up with when they’re challenged to a one pot cook-off using Saint Arnold beers. This delicious fundraiser, now in its 11th year, benefits Kids’ Meals.
Find More Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).