Learn to relieve stress this Winter at one of Dr. Ann Friedman’s six-week courses on mindfulness at The Health Museum beginning in January 2018.
Just in time for the New Year and New Year’s resolutions, The Health Museum rolls out its Mindfulness Class schedule for kids, teens and adults.
Geared towards teaching participants to pay attention to the present moment with openness, mindfulness classes have been proven to reduce stress, lessen suffering from anxiety, depression and physical pain, boost the immune system, improve an individual’s sense of well-being, and actually change the structure and function of the brain.
Learn the practice of mindfulness when Ann Friedman, Ph.D. leads six classes at The Health Museum. Friedman is a licensed psychologist with a certification in mindfulness facilitation through the Mindfulness Awareness Research Center of the Semel Institute of Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA.
Mindfulness Classes for Kids & Teens
With one class catered to ages 6 to 8, another aimed to ages 9 to 12, and a special class geared towards teenagers, these six-week beginner courses will help individuals understand their emotions and improve their concentration.
Both teenagers and children will learn specific ways of paying attention to their breath, body, thoughts, feelings, and to the world around you. Specifically, teens who have taken this course have found it has helped them with their schoolwork, sports, and other activities, as well as in their relationships with their friends, parents, and siblings.
Children/Teenager Class Schedule
All three groups of the Children/Teenager classes will be held on Sundays from Sunday, January 21 through March 4, 2018 (skipping February 18).
- Teenager Class – Held 4pm to 5pm on Sundays.
- Children Ages 6 to 8 Class with a Parent/Caregiver – Held 1pm to 2pm on Sundays.
- Children Ages 9 to 12 Class with a Parent/Caregiver – Held 2:30pm to 3:30pm on Sundays.
The course is $225 for members of The Health Museum and $250 for non-members. Price includes Child + Parent and only $75 for a second child. Click here for more information or to register for a class.
Mindfulness Classes for Adults
Like the Children/Teenager classes, The Health Museum will also offer three six-week introductory courses to mindfulness meditation and mindful awareness practices for adults throughout January and February.
Classes include guided instruction, meditation practice, group discussion, walking meditation, presentation of mental and physical health benefits, downloadable mindfulness guided meditations, and home practices.
The six-week Adult course will be held on Tuesday evenings from Tuesday, January 16 through February 27, 2018 (skipping February 13).
Adult Class Schedule
- Adult Class: Evenings – Held 6pm to 7:15pm on Tuesdays, from Tuesday, January 16 through Tuesday, February 27, 2018 (skipping February 13).
The course is $225 for members of The Health Museum and $250 for non-members. Click here for more information or to register for the class.
About The Health Museum
Celebrating its 21st anniversary, The Health Museum is Houston’s most interactive science learning center and a member institution of the world-renowned Texas Medical Center.
Visitors to the Museum can walk through a larger-than-life human body, take a mini science class, watch an organ dissection and check out both permanent and temporary exhibits that cover topics like health, medical science, and the human body.
The Health Museum is located in the heart of the city’s Museum District.
Mindfulness Classes at The Health Museum
- Dates: Children/Teenager Classes Sunday afternoons starting Sunday, January 21 through Sunday, March 4, 2018 (skipping Sunday, February 18); Adult Classes Tuesday evenings starting Tuesday, January 16 through Tuesday, February 27, 2018 (skipping Tuesday, February 13).
- Location: The Health Museum, 1515 Hermann Drive, Houston, TX 77004
- Parking: Surface lot parking is available at the museum for $5; $3 for members.
- Registration: Classes start at $225 for members; $250 for non-members. Price includes Child + Parent and only $75 for a second child. To enroll in a mindfulness class, click here.
This article was sponsored by The Health Museum. Per our advertising and sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, event, resource or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. Advertising revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston, and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn about promoting your event or business.