In our My Top 5 series, we highlight a Houston creator who’s helping shape Houston’s personality, culture, and character. In return, they share their own favorite things to do in around Houston when they’re not hard at work. This week we’re pleased to showcase Vena Ashley, visual artist and founder of RockStar Gallery, where she’ll be hosting her own solo art show, A Plane, a Train, a Bus & a Boat, this Saturday, December 16, 2017.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Vena Ashley
- Ice skating at Discovery Green – I love that Discovery Green has given Houston our very own outdoor ice skating rink! Ice skating just brings out the feeling of Christmas for me… it’s simply magical! We may not experience winter like some know it, but we can at least experience an outdoor ice rink. There is nothing like ice skating outdoors in the city!
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – Every year, I go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I love the fact that it is run by volunteers, and that proceeds go to scholarships. They even have an art competition every year! I love everything about a day at the HLSR, from the shopping and the livestock show, to the carnival and the concerts. Last year was my first time on a rodeo committee, and I am looking forward to volunteering again in 2018!
- Art Car Parade – I love a good Houston parade, especially the Art Car Parade. Houston’s parade is the longest Art Car Parade in the world and I always enjoy how creative the artists can be. The adults have just as much fun as the kids! I am especially excited for this year’s parade, because I will be in it with my car, Chalkstang!
- Buffalo Bayou Park – I love taking my dog, Candy, out for a walk. Her favorite place to go is Buffalo Bayou Park. She loves to explore and the trails in the park are simply perfect for her to do just that. In addition, there are shady areas to lay out a blanket, relax, and even have a picnic. Since it’s located on the edge of Downtown, so I often carry my camera with me for shots of the park and Downtown Houston.
- Williams Tower Waterwall – Formerly the Transco Tower, the Williams Tower Water Wall is one of my all time favorite spots in Houston. There is a large park between the Williams Tower and the 64-foot water wall where families and kids picnic and play, just enjoying the outdoors. One of my favorite memories is when my dad took my sisters and I there for a night out, we even rode on one of the horse and carriages that are often there at night… it was magical!
About Vena Ashley
A native Houstonian, Vena Ashley graduated from Sam Houston State in 2006, with a Bachelor of Fine Arts, double major, in Advertising Graphic Design and Photography. She initially worked as a graphic designer, before beginning her own art career and began producing art events in recent years. She launched RockStar Gallery in 2017. She works in photography, painting, and a process she calls photographic mixed media. Ashley has created several murals and commissions including a mural in Minute Maid Park for Montejo Beer, Hot Toppings Pizza mural, a mural at Tea + Art in the Heights, and a mural of Stella Artois at The Silos.