Find the can’t-miss events in Houston with our Day + Nightlife Guide for Wednesday, December 13 to Sunday, December 17, 2017.
Also in December 2017
Happening This Week
The only thing we have to fear is the fear of missing out itself.
Fear no more, we’ve got you covered with our in-the-know list of art, music, and nightlife events happening around Houston, from Wednesday through Sunday.
Day + Nightlife Guide
- Day for Night at Post HTX | Friday, December 15 through Sunday, December 17 – This three-day festival combines art and live music. There will be limited access to 20 art installations, including some by Ryoji Ikeda and Matthew Schreiber. Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead’s Thom Yorke, Solange, and others are scheduled to perform. Tickets for single day passes begin at $105 while two-day passes can be had for $205, but if you want to go, then you can probably find cheaper, better, or hard-to-get tickets on the TicketNetwork resale market. Times vary daily.
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Party at Down the Street | No Cover – Get into the holiday spirit and wear your worst Christmas-themed sweater or outfit for Down The Street’s party. Clown Shoes Brewery will stop by around 6pm to pass out samples of their Pale Ale, IPA, and Stout. 6pm to 10pm.
- Frida Loteria: Fiesta Navideña at Cuchara Restaurant – Join the East End Studio Gallery in celebrating the Christmas season with a fun night of playing Frida-themed Loteria, aka Mexican Bingo, yummy authentic Mexican food, and drinks at Cuchara. Tickets are $40. 6pm to 9pm.
- Seinfeld Festivus Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Celebrate a Festivus for the rest of us with a Seinfeld Trivia Extravaganza & Airing of Grievances at Under the Radar Brewery. The winning team will receive a prize. 7pm to 10pm.
- Vintage Vinyl Night at Lei Low Bar | No Cover – Lei Low Bar, a Hawaiian-themed cocktail bar hosts a happy hour while DJs spin nothing but vintage vinyl records. 7pm.
- Harry Potter Trivia Night at Your Pie – Enjoy special butter brew and Hogwarts house-inspired pizzas at Harry Potter Trivia Night at Your Pie. No cover to play; $12.99 for Build-Your-Pizza plus draft beer (usually $5.50 or less) or house wine (cab or chardonnay). 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Happy Hour Thursdays at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston | No Cover – Bring your friends to a museum-style happy hour and enjoy the exhibitions, bites from food trucks, and specialty cocktails at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Drinks will be for sale by credit card at the bar. 5pm to 9pm.
- Holiday Palooza at Brasil Houston | No Cover – Head to the Brasil cafe in Montrose for a night of shopping, hot spiced adult beverages, live music, and a gift card raffle. They will also be accepting donations to give to the Texas Children’s Hospital. 6pm to 11pm.
- Swing Rendezvous in Concert at MKT Bar | No Cover – Enjoy this Gypsy Jazz dinner featuring tunes you can dance to by Swing Rendezvous at MKT Bar in Downtown. 7pm to 10pm.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Movie Screening at City Acre Brewing Co. | No Cover | No Cover – Watch a screening of the hilarious movie, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation starring Chevy Chase, and enjoy a delicious holiday-themed dinner at City Acre Brewing Co. Food and drinks are on you. 7pm to 9pm.
- Big Gay Happy Hour at Rich’s Houston | No Cover – Get your drink on during this happy hour at the LGBT-friendly nightclub, Rich’s with the Gay Men’s Chorus of Houston. 7pm to 9pm.
- RapCaviar Live at Revention Music Center – The RapCaviar Live Tour featuring Gucci Mane, Tory Lanez, Bun B and more special guests come to the Revention Music Center. Tickets are TBA. 7pm.
- Draughts & Laughs: Beer and Comedy Show at The Secret Group – Sigma Brewing Company sponsors the December edition of the Draughts & Laughs: Beer and Comedy Show hosted by Stephen Brandau. $12 buys you two pints and a souvenir branded pint glass. 8pm.
- Joyryde at Spire Night Club – Head to the Spire Night Club in Downtown for a night of EDM music from DJ and producer Joyryde. Tickets are $15. 10pm.
Friday, December 15, 2017
- Opening Reception: Refusing Providence at Flatland Gallery | No Cover – Flatland Gallery next to Cafe Brasil in Montrose hosts an opening reception for Refusing Providence, an exhibition of works on paper and fabric by Houston-based artists David Janesko and Heather L. Johnson. 6pm to 9pm.
- Opening Reception: Christopher Knowles: In a Word at CAMH | No Cover – Celebrate the opening of Christopher Knowles: In a Word, an exhibition featuring a wide array of mediums including text, sound, painting, drawing, sculpture, and recorded performance. 9:30pm.
- Ugly Sweater Party at Howl at the Moon | No Cover – Put on your tacky holiday attire as Howl at the Moon hosts their annual Ugly Sweater Party. You can also enter to win a $50 gift card or a Happy Hour Party. 7pm.
- ComedySportz Houston at CSz Arena – Two teams battle for laughs and points as they make up scenes, games, and songs on the spot with audience participation and suggestions incorporated into the act. With the help of a referee, the audience will generate suggestions for improv games and determine the winner. Fast, fun and interactive, no two shows are alike. Tickets are $20, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10. 8pm.
- Dead Kennedys at White Oak Music Hall – The provocative and unapologetic hardcore punk legends, Dead Kennedys, come to Houston for a show featuring Avenue Rockers, The Secret Prostitutes, and The Cops. Tickets start $25. 8pm.
- Go Fever in Concert at Big Top Lounge – Catch the Austin-based surf pop band, Go Fever with openers Holy Golden, El Lago, and Astragal at Shoeshine Charley’s Big Top Lounge. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
- A Fistful of Soul X-Mas Party & 100th Show at The Continental Club | No Cover – Houston’s ’60s soul dance party, A Fistful of Soul celebrates their 100th show with special guest DJ Jonathan Toubin. 10pm.
- Blackout at Boondocks – Blackout, a local tropical bass party, hosts a dance night at Boondocks with special guest, the LA-based DJs, 2 Deep. Cover charge is $5. Ladies get in free before 11pm.
Saturday, December 16, 2017
- Gingerbread House Decorating Party at SpindleTap Brewery – SpindleTap Brewery hosts a Gingerbread House Decorating Party where they will provide all the materials as well as beer, pizza, and pictures with Santa. You must pre-order a gingerbread kit for $20 before attending this event. Noon to 5pm.
- A Plane, a Train, a Bus & a Boat: A Solo Art Show at Rockstar Gallery | FREE – Explore Luxembourg, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan & Venice at Vena Ashley’s solo art show and party, featuring photos, images, and art she collected and created during her recent travels. Items will be available for sale, and there will be light Italian bites, wine, and special Italian craft cocktails available. 5pm to 9pm.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Party at Mo’s Irish Pub Cypress | No Cover – Dust off that old holiday sweater and wear it to Mo’s Irish Pub’s annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. Enjoy live music and enter to win prizes for the ugliest sweater. 6pm.
- Sigma Chrimmus Dinner at Sigma Brewing Company – This holiday-themed dinner at Sigma will include a commemorative “Murry Chrimmus” glass, open taps on Sigma Beer, and a 4-course beer and food pairing put together by Sigma and Chef Jason Kerr featuring 4 special beers and locally sourced meat and produce. Tickets are $75. 6:30pm.
- Ugly Sweater Party at Lincoln Bar – Dress up in your most hideous and ridiculous holiday attire for the Ugly Sweater Party at Lincoln Bar. There will be food and drink specials, DJs spinning, and prizes for the most creative and funny sweaters. Cover charge at the door. 8pm.
- Now That’s What I Call The ’90s: Concert at The Continental Club – Members of local bands get together for a night dedicated to the music of the ’90s at The Continental Club. Cover charge at the door. 9pm.
- Star Wars: Unscripted at CSz Arena – Comedy Sportz in Houston is up for a little humor and games when they use your suggestions to tweak the original 1977 film. So make sure to come to the CSz arena with an open mind and plenty of creativity. Tickets are $14, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $8. 10:30pm.
Sunday, December 17, 2017
- Sherita Perez in Concert at Presidio | No Cover – See a performance of the local singer-songwriter, Sherita Perez at Presidio in the Heights. 6pm to 9pm.
- A Christmas Story Movie Screening at Karbach Brewing Co. | No Cover – The Alamo Drafthouse Rolling Roadshow presents a screening of the adorable holiday movie, A Christmas Story, at the Karbach Brewery. 6pm to 9pm.
- Warlung in Concert at Walter’s Downtown – Catch a show from the heavy psych-rock band, Warlung at Walter’s Downtown with openers We Were Wolves and Jody Seabody & The Whirls. Cover charge is $10. 7pm.
- PMT Pop Up: Holiday Cabaret at The Continental Club – Artists from across the Houston fringe performing arts community, accompanied live by the Pitch Me This Band, come together to for Holiday Cabaret and perform holiday favorites at The Continental Club. Tickets are $25, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $10.
Find More Holiday Fun & Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).