Celebrate the Jewish holiday of Chanukah at events around Greater Houston from Sunday, December 10 through Monday, December 18, 2017.
Also in December 2017
Happening This Week
This year, Chanukah starts on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, and concludes on Wednesday, December 20, 2017. And you’ll find plenty of opportunities to enjoy the Festival of Lights.
Load up on chocolate gelt (coins), latkes, and other holiday favorites while lighting the menorah and enjoying music, live entertainment, crafts, and other activities during this Chanukah 2017 in Houston.
Top 12 Things to Do for Chanukah 2017 in Greater Houston
- Chanukah Workshop at The Children’s Museum | Sunday, December 10 – The Jewish Community Center leads traditional Hanukkah games and activities, focusing on the dreidel game at The Children’s Museum. Decorate wooden dreidels, make edible dreidels, learn the rules of the dreidel game, and practice playing it, and make handprinted menorahs. Included with general admission to the museum. 1pm to 3pm.
- Bellaire Chanukah Festival at Bellaire Town Square | Tuesday, December 12 – The Shul of Bellaire hosts the 2017 Bellaire Chanukah Festival: Flipped Out Chanukah, an outdoor family-friendly festival where you can watch a flip and fly aerial show. Along with the astounding acrobatic performance, you can enjoy a dinner buffet, carnival booths, trampolines, inflatables and more. Tickets are $10 for adults; $8 for children. 5pm to 7pm.
- Menorah Lighting at The Galleria | Tuesday, December 12 | FREE – Enjoy the 7th annual lighting of the 12-foot high menorah, created by I. Cohen, at The Galleria. There will be a children’s choir, dreidels, sufganiyah (Israeli doughnuts), and Chanukah gelt (chocolate coins). 6:30pm.
- Chanukah in the Snow at Chabad of Uptown | Wednesday, December 13 – Bring the family for Chanukah in the Snow where you can light the snow menorah, participate in Chanukah crafts, enjoy donuts and latkes, and play in the snow at Chabad of Uptown. Tickets are $8 for adults; $5 for children in advance. $15 for adults; $10 for children at the door. 6pm to 8pm.
- Giant Menorah Lighting Celebration in Sugar Land | Wednesday, December 13 | No Cover – Bring the whole family to Sugar Land’s Town Square to light the giant menorah and enjoy arts and crafts, music, dancing, Israeli Doughnuts, edible gelt and more. 6:30pm to 8pm.
- Grand Chanukah Celebration at Market Street | Thursday, December 14 | FREE – Head to The Woodlands for a Grand Chanukah Celebration and Menorah Lighting presented by Chabad of The Woodlands. Led by Rabbi Mendel Blecher, the lighting of a nine-foot, seven-branched menorah will feature traditional Chanukah food and live musical performances. 4pm to 6pm.
- Pearland Menorah Lighting | Thursday, December 14 | No Cover – Head to the outdoor pavilion at Pearland Town Center for music, doughnuts, latkes, chocolate gelt, and (of course) a lighting of the menorah. 6pm.
- 22nd Annual Public Menorah Lighting at Houston City Hall | Saturday, December 16 | FREE –Enjoy latkes, doughnuts, and speeches at the City of Houston’s official public menorah lighting on the fifth night of Chanukah. 7:30pm.
- Jewish CultureFest at Evelyn’s Park | Sunday, December 17 | FREE – The Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center hosts an afternoon celebrating Jewish culture featuring live music, local crafts and Judaica, specialty foods, art and mitzvah projects, and a Summer Camp Fun Tent in Bellaire. 2pm to 6pm.
- Chanukah at Discovery Green | Sunday, December 17 | FREE – Enjoy an afternoon family-friendly Chanukah celebration and menorah lighting at Discovery Green park in Downtown. Attendees will be treated to a live outdoor concert by the acclaimed Eli Marcus and even more entertainment by Judah the Maccabee Live Statue, balloon artists, face painters, Chanuka Arts & Crafts and more. This year there will be a Houston Astros Ice Menorah. 3pm to 6pm.
- Outdoor Chanukah Concert at Saengerfest Park | Sunday, December 17 | FREE – Join the Bay Area Jewish community for an Outdoor Chanukah Concert and Menorah Lighting featuring live music by The Voice’s The Solomon Brothers Band from Isreal. 5:30pm.
- The Houston Rockets’ Hoops for Hanukkah at Toyota Center | Monday, December 18 – Cheer for the Rockets as they take on the Utah Jazz during Hoops for Hanukkah. Your ticket includes a t-shirt, on-court menorah lighting, exclusive meet and greet, and post-game free throws on the court. Tickets are $24. 7pm.
Find More Holiday Fun & Things to Do in Houston All Year Long
Be sure to subscribe to our free Weekend Guide email to receive a round-up of great things to do this weekend in Houston in your inbox every Thursday. If you don’t want to miss a thing, you can also opt in to our Daily Update emails (emailed six days a week).