Each week, our My Top 5 series showcases a Houstonian who’s helping to craft and create Houston culture and its character. In return, each one shares their own favorite things to do in around Houston their downtime. This week we’re very pleased to feature Waverly Gage, social chair for Theta Design Weekend.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Waverly Gage
- Driving Tour of Houston Neighborhood Holiday Lights – Start at Lee’s Fried Chicken and Donuts on Heights Blvd. for dinner. Hop in your car and make your way to the Woodland Heights neighborhood to take in the Christmas displays and while you’re at it make your way to River Oaks to peruse the gorgeous homes and huge oaks wrapped in lights. Wrap up your tour at the Dessert Gallery for a game of Apples to Apples and a piece of cake before heading home.
- Discovery Green – There is always something special going on at Discovery Green. Around Thanksgiving they put in their ice rink that all ages can enjoy. If skating is not your thing, take a stroll and enjoy their winter art installation, Hello Trees! A Walking Serenade. Afterwards hop over to The Lake House for a burger and people watching.
- Houston Art Murals – Houston’s art scene knows no limits! Lucky for us public art is all over. Some of my favorites include Daniel Angelou’s “Greetings from Houston” in the Heights, Shelbi Nicole’s “I Love You” mural in the Heights, Gonzo247’s “Houston Is Inspired” on the side of Treebeards at Market Square, and the Winter Street Studios murals painted by resident artists. Check out the Houston Mural Guide on wearwherewell.com for more options. Trust me, make sure your phone is charged as you will want to grab a photo.
- Zoo Lights at Houston Zoo – Going to the Houston Zoo is a treat anytime of year, but it’s especially enchanting during Zoo Lights when its transformed into a winter wonderland. There are over two million lights throughout the zoo that you have to see to believe. The Zoo opens at 6pm for the festivities and goes through mid-January.
- River Oaks Chamber Orchestra (ROCO) – If you’ve never heard a ROCO concert, it’s time to put it on your to-do list. ROCO is a 40-piece professional chamber orchestra that put on extremely entertaining, interactive performances. They play something for everyone and even have special concerts for children. ROCO performs all over town usually at 5pm which makes it nice to go out to dinner afterwards.
About Waverly Gage
Waverly Gage is a native Houstonian, fourth generation Texan, wife, mother, lawyer, and volunteer to various Houston causes and organizations. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin where she became a member of Kappa Alpha Theta her freshman year. Over the years she volunteered for Houston’s Theta Charity Antiques Show and wrote cooking blog called Peace and Love in the Kitchen. This year, she serves as social chair for the newly re-imagined Theta Design Weekend at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Since the event’s inception Theta has raised millions of dollars for charities across Houston.