Strap on those ice skates and head out onto the largest outdoor ice skating rink in the Southwest at The ICE at Discovery Green, open daily in Downtown through Sunday, January 21, 2018.
At 7,716 square feet, the ICE at Discovery Green clocks in as the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest. Made from water recycled from the park’s Kinder Lake, the rink is the de facto headquarters for outdoor winter fun in Houston, presenting a wide variety of seasonal programming for skaters and spectators alike.
Throughout the course of the season, and most given weeks, you can expect to skate along to outdoor movies, live music and DJs, and (up until Christmas) with Santa Claus himself. Musical theme nights focus on jazz, country and pop hits. Adding to the festive holiday mix will be special ice carvings and art installations.
Off to the side, you’ll also find a dedicated, toddler-friendly rink known as the Ice Box for kids under 45 inches tall and below the age of 4.
Weekly Theme Events at The ICE on Discovery Green
- Select Mondays | Cheap Skate Night – Enjoy skating for just $8 per person on select Mondays from 5pm to 10pm. Cheap Skate Night is not held on Houston ISD vacation days. Click here for more details.
- Select Tuesdays | Time Warp Tuesdays – Travel through the decades, with tunes from different eras and genres each week. Costumes are encouraged, but not required. Weekly through Tuesday, January 19, 2018.
- Select Wednesdays | Break The ICE Date Nights – Enjoy the smooth tunes of Houston’s own jazzman Jawad, with special snow effects, each week through Wednesday, January 17, 2018. The music is free to enjoy. 7pm to 9pm. Click here for more details.
- Select Thursdays | Screen on the Green – Take in free holiday and family films over The ICE. You can bring chairs and a blanket and find a spot on the hill, or lace up and skate while you listen to the flick. The movies are free if you don’t plan to skate. 7pm. Click here for more details.
Select Saturdays | Skate with Santa & Story Book Stars – Join Santa Claus for an afternoon skate session. Bring your camera if you’re hoping to pose for a photo with St. Nick. After Christmas, story book characters will be on hand to greet the kiddos, with new characters every week. 5pm to 6pm. Click here for more details.
Click here to check for upcoming events at the Ice and Discovery Green. On weekends and school holidays, skating time is limited to 90 minutes.
People in non-motorized wheelchairs are welcome to enjoy the rink in their chairs, when accompanied by a responsible adult at all times while on the ice rink. Access for wheelchair visitors is free. The accompanying adult must pay the $14 skating fee.
Weather Impacts on The ICE on Discovery Green Operations
Note that the ice rink may be closed unexpectedly due to weather conditions including heat, lighting or rain. On very warm days, the rink may open late so that the ice may be covered until 3:30pm.
The ICE at Discovery Green
- Date: Saturday, November 18, 2017 through at Sunday, January 21, 2018
- Times: Monday to Thursday 5pm to 10pm; Friday to Saturday 11am to 11pm; Sunday 11am to 8pm. Holidays, school holidays and other select days have special hours. Click here for a detailed list of hours by date. Note that during warmer days or during inclement weather, The ICE may be closed or have a delayed opening. It’s a good idea to click here and check Discovery Green’s website before heading over. or call 713-434-RINK.
- Location: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney Street, Houston, TX 77010
- Admission: Free to visit and attend events. Skating is $14 per person, including skate rental and tax. You can secure online tickets in advance for $17. On select Monday nights (not during school breaks), skating is $8 for Cheap Skate Night.