Get out and experience the best of Houston, before or after your feast with our very favorite things to do in Houston on Thanksgiving Eve and Thanksgiving Day, 2017.
Whether you’re entertaining your entire brood, hosting a friends-giving, or relaxing with a solo Turkey Day, you’ll find plenty to entertain you.
So pick your pleasure. No matter whether your group thrives on adrenaline, tradition, spectacle, or simply likes shiny lights, Houston’s got a pretty fantastic option for you this Thanksgiving Day.
And if you’re looking to skip the cooking this year, make your way to one of our favorite restaurants with our list of top restaurants creating a special menu this Thanksgiving.
Note: The normally annual Uptown Holiday Lighting Ceremony (and fireworks) is not happening this Thanksgiving evening due to road construction on Post Oak Boulevard. The event will return in two years in 2019.
Thanksgiving Events in Houston 2017
Wednesday, November 22, 2017
- Thanksgiving with Santa at Children’s Museum of Houston – The Children’s Museum of Houston hosts their 12th Annual Thanksgiving with Santa where you can participate in plenty of holiday activities and even snap a pic with Santa himself. Included with general admission to the museum. All day.
- 8th Annual Jive Turkey: Thanksgiving Eve Block Party in Midtown – Spend your Thanksgiving Eve at Belle Station in Midtown for the 8th Annual Jive Turkey featuring games, DJs, drinks, live entertainment and more. Early bird tickets are $10 and $15 at the door. 4pm.
- Drinksgiving Feast at The Phoenix on Westheimer | No Cover – Join The Phoenix on Westheimer for their pre-Thanksgiving Drinksgiving Feast featuring $5 turkey legs along with $5 Wild Turkey shots and more. 6pm.
- Friendsgiving Trivia at Under the Radar Brewery | No Cover – Under the Radar Brewery hosts a special trivia dedicated to only the Thanksgiving episodes on Friends. Dress up like your favorite character to compete for best outfit for a prize. 8pm to 11pm.
Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 23, 2017
- TXU Energy BakerRipley Turkey Trot at The Plaza on Richmond – Start Thanksgiving Day off on the right foot by running in the 25th annual TXU Energy BakerRipley Houston Turkey Trot to support BakerRipley, formerly Neighborhood Centers – the largest community development organization in Texas. You must register for this event. 7am.
- The 2017 Pearland Turkey Trot at Pearland Stadium – Burn off some pre-Thanksgiving calories at The Pearland Turkey Trot. Choose from the 4-mile, 6-mile run/walk or 1-mile family run. Kids under the age of 12 can run the Tot Trot Kids K. Tickets range from $15 to $60. 7:30am to 10am.
- L3 Turkey Day 5K & Wishbone 1K at Town Center Park – Run to raise money to end pediatric cancer and start off the day on a healthy note before your Thanksgiving feast at the L3 Foundation’s 3rd Annual Turkey Day 5K and Wishbone 1K in Kingwood. Tickets are $30 for the 5k and $15 for the kids 1k. 8am.
- 68th Annual Houston Thanksgiving Parade in Downtown | FREE – Get into the holiday spirit at the 68th Annual Houston Thanksgiving Day parade, a stunning showcase of sensational floats, high-flying balloons, marching bands, artistic entries, and live entertainment in the streets of Downtown. 9am.
- Thanksgiving Day Skating at The ICE at Discovery Green – Take a stroll around Discovery Green Park in Downtown and enjoy their current art installation, Hello Trees: A Walking Serenade and afterward, skate off all that pumpkin pie on their ice skating rink, The ICE. No cover for the park; $14 general admission to skate. 11am to 11pm.
- Thanksgiving Public Skate at The Ice at The Galleria – Lace up and head out onto the Galleria’s massive first-floor ice rink and work off some of those carbs. $19 for everyone ages 6 and up; $17 for ages 5 and under. 5pm to midnight.