In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
Set on a picturesque 294-acre campus, there is plenty to experience at Rice University. And nearby, there is also plenty of places to unwind, including these college budget-friendly happy hour favorites.
Note: This list covers neighborhoods near Rice University, including Rice Village, West University, the Med Center, and the Museum District.
Where to Happy Hour Near Rice University
- Benjy’s – At happy hour, this crowd favorite becomes a lot more wallet-friendly. Get a $9 cheddar-bacon burger and seasonal draft beer pairing for yourself; or come with friends to sip $3 craft suds and split a couple of $8 bar pies—in flavors like chicken tinga, margarita, or street corn with feta and chili sauce. Monday through Saturday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Cyclone Anaya’s – Beers start at $2.50 while margaritas can be had for $5 during happy hour at this Mexican kitchen and bar. Tack on $5 to $8 bar bites, from fresh guacamole and spicy chicken wings to mini food truck tacos and seafood ceviche. Monday to Wednesday 11am to 7pm; Thursday and Friday 3pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Little Woodrow’s – Cheap happy hour specials are offered every single day at this local favorite. Hit the sports and patio to get 50-cent off pints, $1-off pitchers, $3.25 domestic bottles and $16.25 domestic buckets, plus daily specials including Wednesday’s Big Ass Beers, Bourbon and Bingo, and Saturday’s You Call It Mugs. Noon to 7pm, plus daily happy hour specials. Click here for directions.
- Punk’s Simple Southern Food – Cozy up to the bar at this trendy Southern comfort kitchen and treat yourself to $5 boozy frozen margs, $2.50 old-fashioned sliders, $3 chicken and biscuit sliders and $5 chili-smothered Frito pie. Tuesday through Friday 4pm to 7pm; Friday and Saturday 9pm to 11pm. Click here for directions.
- Under the Volcano – One of the city’s best steak nights lies at this kitschy dive off Bissonnet. Get 16 juicy ounces alongside a salad and garlic mashed potatoes for $17 every Monday. Or check out happy hour to get $1 off beers and cocktails, including a killer strawberry basil drink. Monday through Friday 2pm to 7pm, plus daily specials. Click here for directions.
- Valhalla – Run by graduate students and hidden on campus, sipping a cheap beer at this hangout is a Rice University right of passage. The prices are always right, and the spot offers a lineup of chips, candy, and snacks and the occasional 3-buck banh mi from Les Givral’s to go alongside. Just remember its cash only. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Hit Marquis II for Texas Tea Tuesdays and Karaoke Thursdays; sip $3 wells at Grand Prize Bar; get tacos and margs for two at Bodegas; get $8 pizzas and $4 Texas drafts at Upstairs; check out steak night at The Gorgeous Gael (Tuesday) or Kelvin Arms Pub (Thursday); and indulge in $5 sangria and half-off pitchers alongside tapas at Mi Luna.