In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
Just 50 or so miles from Downtown Houston, this 21-mile and 20,000-acre lake lies on the West Fork of the San Jacinto River in Montgomery and Walker Counties. With picturesque shores and wooded areas including a portion of the Sam Houston National Forest, the Lake Conroe area is an outdoor enthusiasts dream. You’ll probably work up quite the appetite…good thing there are also plenty of places to grab some happy hour food and drink.
Note: For the purposes of this list, the area around Lake Conroe includes the cities of Conroe, Montgomery, and Willis, plus the Montgomery County portion of the Sam Houston National Forest.
Where to Happy Hour Near Lake Conroe
- Fajita Jack’s Tex-Mex Grill & Cantina – This lakeside cantina offers specials every day, from Monday’s $2.50 domestic and $3 import drafts and Wednesday’s $19.99 fajitas-for-two to Thursday’s all day happy hour featuring $4 house ritas, $5 strawberry ritas, $6 Grande Houses, and $7 “boss” ritas. Daily specials. Click here for directions.
- Mama Juanita’s Mexican Restaurant – Happy hour drink specials are available every weekday at this neighborhood Mexican restaurant. While you’re sipping those cervezas and margs, dig into baja fish tacos, chips and queso, ceviche, and enchiladas. Monday and Tuesday all day; Wednesday through Friday 11am to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- The Red Brick Tavern – Nestled in Conroe’s historic Downtown, this tavern rocks live music, great eats, and good times. At happy hour, dig into $10 cheese, pepperoni, and margarita pizzas, $6 Tavern cheese fries, Thai sweet chili wings, burger sliders, and pulled pork nachos; and get $1 off beers, wells, and select wines. Monday through Friday 3pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Sam’s Boat – Set right on the lake, Sam’s Place is the perfect spot to get fresh breezes, cold brews, and Gulf Coast eats. Happy hour brings $3.25 wells, $4.25 calls, and $3.50 domestic bottles; while daily deals range from Margarita Mondays and Texas Tuesdays to Wine Down Wednesdays and Thirsty Thursdays. Start your weekend with all day happy hour Fridays; then wind up or down with specials like $6 margarita pints, $22 margarita pitchers, and $12-15 beer pitchers on Saturdays and Sundays. Monday through Friday 11am to 8pm. Click here for directions.
- Wild Ginger – Hit this Japanese restaurant to get $3.50 to $9 sushi rolls and bites, from crunchy shrimp, spicy tuna rolls and shaggy dog rolls to ahi towers, gyoza, and beef tataki. Tack on $2 drafts, $2.50 domestics, $3.50 imports, $3 wells, $4 house wines, $4 to $4.50 cocktails and $5 to $7 sake. Daily 2pm to 5pm; Friday and Saturday 9pm to 10pm; Sunday all day. Click here for directions.
- Wolfies – This lakeside sports pub and grill offers daily specials like 65-cent wings and $2.25 domestics for Monday Night Football, Thursday Steak Night, and Sunday Funday, with bloodys, mimosas, and breakfast burgers. Daily specials. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Catch live music and Tuesday Steak Night at Papa’s on the Lake; sip daily bar specials at El Bosque Mexican Grill; get games and wings at Woodson’s Local Tap + Kitchen; jam out to live blues, acoustic, and jazz at The Corner Pub; sip wines and look out for sip & strolls at Cozy Grape Wine Bar & Bistro; and get your brew on at B-52 Brewing Co. and Southern Star.