Make the most of your month with our list of 15 favorite events and happenings in Houston during October 2017.
Also in October 2017
Happening This Week
Fall is here, even if the cooler weather hasn’t completely moved in yet, and with a new season comes a slew of must-attend events. Whether you’re waiting for the Rockets to kick off their season, looking forward to sampling an insane number of tacos, sit in the front row for a runway show, shop for fine art at an outdoor festival, or raise a stein at an Oktoberfest celebration, you won’t want to miss these events in Houston this October.
Events are not ranked, but are listed in chronological order throughout the month of October.
Top 15 Things to Do in Houston This Month: October 2017
- Oktoberfest Events Around Houston | Through October 21 – Raise a glass at one of the many German beer festivals in Houston, including two King’s Oktoberfest Weekends (Pearland and the Heights), Karbachtoberfest, and Oktoberfest 2017 at Saint Arnold Brewery.
- Halloween Events and Parties Around Houston | Tuesday, October 3 to Tuesday, October 31 – Can’t wait for Halloween? Get spooked at events all month long, from Hotel Galvez Ghost Tour Dinners in Galveston to the HMNS Spirits & Skeletons party, family-friendly Haunted House at National Museum of Funeral History, Zoo Boo, and Scream on the Green.
- Real Ale Beer Dinner at Hay Merchant | Wednesday, October 4 – Build your own beer dinner at Hay Merchant by choosing a la carte menu items and enjoying them with specially paired brews from Real Ale. You’ll have the option to pair beer with some or all courses.
- Fashion X Houston at River Oaks District | Thursday, October 5 to Saturday, October 7 – See collections from your favorite River Oaks District brands, Houston designers, and designers featured on Project Runway at this three-day fashion event featuring runway shows, in-store and VIP events.
- 38th Annual Festival Chicano at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Thursday, October 5 to Saturday, October 7 – The 38th Annual Festival Chicano is a cultural celebration of Chicano music from Tejano and Conjunto, to Mariachi and Orchestra at the Miller Outdoor Theatre.
- RGFF Charity Pub Crawl and Concert with The Suffers in EaDo | Saturday, October 7 – Spend the afternoon in EaDo crawling to pubs and bars before ending up at Lucky’s Pub for a concert from The Suffers. Proceeds from ticket sales benefit the Robert Garner Firefighter Foundation.
- MET Dance Season Kickoff at Discovery Green | Saturday, October 7 – See a performance from MET Dance when they kick off their 22nd season with a free show at Discovery Green. Expect choreography from Joshua L. Peugh, Camille A. Brown, and Hattie Haggard, along with a special appearance from the MET too Youth Company.
- Houston Texans vs. Kansas City Chiefs at NRG Stadium | Sunday, October 8 – Find your seat and get on2 your feet for the Sunday Night Football game featuring our Houston Texans and the Chiefs at NRG. You may be able to find cheaper, hard-to-find tickets on TicketNetwork’s resale market.
- Houston Italian Festival at the University of St. Thomas | Thursday, October 12 to Sunday, October 15 – Enjoy a weekend of music, contests, and family fun, complete with a grape stomp, Italian language classes, traditional folk dancing, kids activities and more at the annual Houston Italian Festival.
- Wanderlust 108 at The Water Works | Saturday, October 14 – Take part in this unique triathlon that starts with a 5k run or walk, continues with an outdoor yoga class, and then a guided meditation in Buffalo Bayou Park. Stick around for an organic lunch, lawn hooping, and acroyoga activities, speakers, music, shopping from local vendors and more.
- Lunada 2017 at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Saturday, October 14 | FREE – Come together with other Houstonians at Miller Outdoor Theatre for Lunada. The Houston Symphony will perform works with Latin American and Spanish influence under the full moon.
- Bayou City Art Festival in Downtown | Saturday, October 14 and Sunday, October 15 – Featuring works from more than 300 artists, the annual outdoor Bayou City Art Festival is back again this year for two days of fine art, food trucks, live music, and creative zones.
- Korean Festival Houston 2017 at Discovery Green | Saturday, October 21 | FREE – One of the most popular annual celebrations at Downtown’s favorite park, the 9th annual celebration of Korea returns with a full day of performances, martial arts demonstrations, modern K-Pop concerts, food, shopping, and more. 10am to 7pm.
- Houston Rockets Season Opener vs Dallas Mavericks at Toyota Center | Saturday, October 21 – Cheer the Rockets on to a victory in their first home game of the regular season against the Mavs.
- Southern Smoke at Underbelly | Sunday, October 22 – Underbelly’s annual parking lot fundraiser will feature big names like Aaron Franklin, Terrence Gallivan and Seth Siegel-Gardner, Rodney Scott, Ryan Pera, Justin Yu and Underbelly’s own Chris Shepherd. This year proceeds will go to Harvey relief efforts.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily updates and weekend guide emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.